change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• csuresh's Profile Photo

One day to spend - tips

by csuresh Online Now Apr 12, 2014 at 2:58 PM

I am planning to travel from London by Train to Manchester. Then take rental car to Lake District. Then I wanted to spend till noon next day to make return journey. This means I will have almost full 24 hours to spend wisely. Please suggest me an itinerary.

more
    • csuresh's Profile Photo

One day to spend - tips

by csuresh Online Now Apr 12, 2014 at 2:58 PM

I am planning to travel from London by Train to Manchester. Then take rental car to Lake District. Then I wanted to spend till noon next day to make return journey. This means I will have almost full 24 hours to spend wisely. Please suggest me an itinerary.

4 Answers Apr 13, 2014 at 5:37 AM
    • Holiday away for me and my girlfriend in summer

by Brockle Online Now Mar 9, 2014 at 11:06 PM

Me and my girlfriend are planning a week away in the lakes this coming summer, we need somewhere nice but also relatively cheap to stay, preferably somewhere close to Windermere so we can just get the train as neither of us has a car.

11 Answers Mar 11, 2014 at 7:56 AM
    • Accommodation required for next week!! :-)

by Emma_Paul Online Now Aug 20, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Can someone recommend somewhere for family of five (2 Adults, 3 children 13,13 & 15) to stay on the lake. i.e. cottage, lodge, boat house, cabin etc.

9 Answers Oct 14, 2013 at 8:06 AM
    • Dog friendly B&B Pub

by KGlover Online Now Jul 28, 2013 at 9:42 AM

I am looking for a quiet spot in the lakes to stay in a pub B&B that welcomes dogs, preferably close to the water at a price that wont break the bank can any one recommend such a place.

6 Answers Jul 29, 2013 at 10:18 AM
    • Nottingham to the Lake District

by loiedunn Online Now Jun 3, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Hi guys, my parents are flying over here from Canada and I thought a trip to the Lake District might be nice...however I've noticed that trains with East Midlands only go to either Bootle (Cumbria) or Oxenholme...which seem about an hour drive from the National Park. Do you have any tips on how to get closer to the park? Any recommendations on where to stay?

Thanks so much!
      Loie

4 Answers Jun 3, 2013 at 9:55 PM
    • Thunderdarts's Profile Photo

Good accomodation in the Lake District

by Thunderdarts Online Now May 7, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Hi everyone,

I will be visiting the lake district with my family for about three nights at the start of June (We have a 3 year old and an 8 month old)

Can anyone recommend some excellent accomodation near any of the lakes? We visited Bowness-on-Windermere briefly last year and were enchanted.

Budget is a consideration & self catering is fine, but our main desires are cleanliness, scenery and hopefully the likes of a rustic log fire!

Thanks for your help folks.

Greg.

4 Answers Aug 18, 2013 at 5:42 AM
    • Train from Lakes District to Heathrow

by marathonfc Online Now May 1, 2013 at 1:02 PM

What is the best way to get information about a train to get us to Heathrow?

4 Answers May 2, 2013 at 4:00 AM
    • Carluchita's Profile Photo

Nicest places to visit in the Lake District with a 2 year old

by Carluchita Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Hello,

My husband and I will be staying in Lancaster with our 2 year old boy for about 5 days. We will go to Liverpool for about 2 days (hubby super fan of the Beatles) and we were wondering where should we go the rest of the days. We were thinking Conwy, Blackpool, Chester. Since we are traveling with a toddler we will be slower than normal because of naps, feeding, etc. What other places do you recommend we should visit that would be fun for my son and for us too? We rented a car.

Thanks so much!

6 Answers Mar 26, 2013 at 7:10 AM
    • Porteplume's Profile Photo

Next October, camping in Lake District

by Porteplume Online Now Jan 20, 2013 at 6:52 AM

Hi VT friends,

Long time no see... :o)

After our next May holidays in Scotland having been planned... I wonder if someone knows where to find the most quite and loveliest caravan & camping site in the Lake District.

Ideas? Suggestions?
      Thank you & Kindest regards,

Viviane

6 Answers Mar 26, 2013 at 7:14 AM
    • Does a single day trip to Lake District make sense?

by madfish369 Online Now Apr 24, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Hi,

I'm doing a short tour in Scotland and was wondering if it makes any sense to take a train from Edinburgh to Lake District for an overnight stay. Is just a one day stay in Lake District worth it?

I'm actually unaware of what one (as a tourist) really sees or does when visiting "Lake District". Any advice would be welcome. I'm actually asking for my parents. I'm not even sure if it's a straight train that'll go from Edinburgh to Lake District (Windemere right?)...and if they arrive in the afternoon...spend that evening and the next morning there and leave in the afternoon the following day. Does this sort of "stop over" tour make sense?

Look forward to your helpful responses :)

Thanks!!

7 Answers Apr 24, 2012 at 5:26 PM
    • driving in the lake district

by eric44 Online Now Apr 22, 2012 at 6:27 AM

Hi, I'm going to be spending a few days driving around the lakes at the end of may,in a classic mini, I'm looking to use mainly B and single track roads, I have some routs that I'm going to take but would welcome any local info has to good back and off main roads I can try the more winding and narrow the better it's what these little cars were made for, I'm staying in Ambleside and will be running out of there doing a different circular tour each day.

3 Answers May 19, 2013 at 2:51 AM
    • mickey.p's Profile Photo

Advice on places to stay!

by mickey.p Online Now Mar 27, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Hi, I am thinking of taking my other half to the Lakes for his birthday as he's never been. There would be 4 adults and 2 children in total and we would need 3 bedrooms. I would consider a chalet, cottage, lodge but not a caravan - my 13 year old son who is Autistic doesn't sleep well and in a Cabin Bed he has no chance as he's nearly 6'!

I don't fancy being too out of the way and would like it to be somewhere my son and his friend can be entertained, sports, pool etc - night time enetertainment isn't a must but would possibly be used if available.

I would love somewhere with a private hot tub if possible - just something extra for his birthday.

Oh and I'd rather not pay the earth as he's at risk of losing his job!

I know it's a large act - I am a travel agent so have tried the usual hoseasons, cottages for you etc!

Thought I may get more options from those in the know!

7 Answers Apr 6, 2012 at 9:12 AM
    • North or South?

by winkd2 Online Now Dec 21, 2011 at 7:25 PM

Would like to spend a few days in the Lake District in July. Will have a car.
      Trying to decide between Keswick/Derwentwater or Windermere as a home base. Any suggestions?

9 Answers Dec 29, 2011 at 6:44 AM
    • Cheap Holiday Cottages in The Lake District?

by travellingchris Online Now Nov 7, 2011 at 7:04 AM

Does anybody know of any cottages which are still available for the Christmas period. I'm looking at going for a week say 21st to the 28th.

Also can anyone recommend a good pub/ event to spend New Year in the Lakes?

thanks in advance,

Chris

5 Answers Nov 9, 2011 at 11:12 AM
    • Ambleside over New Year

by OlderRam Online Now Oct 28, 2011 at 6:16 AM

Hi
      Wonder if anyone can help with some information

My wife is looking at a cottage in Ambleside for a week over New Year. Can anyobe tell me if there is likely to be anything open during this period - restaurants etc.

I don't want to get there and everything be closed for winter as we would be looking to eat out most evenings at least

Thanks in advance

2 Answers Nov 3, 2011 at 5:51 AM
    • Accommodation For Geohustle Big G

by stevo178 Online Now Sep 14, 2011 at 4:08 AM

Hi

Im taking part in the Geohustle 'Big G' mountian challenge in Keswick early October, i was hoping that someone may be able to recommend a walker friendly, and more importantly cheap b and b or bunkhouse.

I dont fancy camping this time but dont have big bucks to spend on a fancy B & B, maybe a bunkhouse would be a good idea but i dont know of any in the centre of Keswick so thats a no no.

Look forward to your suggestions.

Cheers

Steve

2 Answers Sep 14, 2011 at 8:27 AM
    • clareabee's Profile Photo

Can anybody suggest B&Bs or hotels that take 1 night bookings in Bowness?

by clareabee Online Now Jun 6, 2011 at 2:21 AM

We want to stay for one night on a saturday towards the end of july in Bowness on Windermere but everywhere seems stipulate a minimum of 2 nights on a weekend - that would be lovely but due to work restrictions we cannot commit to two days!

Thank you in advance,

Clare

1 Answer Sep 2, 2011 at 7:17 AM
    • What should we see/do?

by evs50 Online Now Aug 17, 2010 at 4:42 AM

We are visiting the Lake District for a few days in Setember. We are staying in Penruddock i believe, near to Penrith. What should we see/do/eat etc? Any suggestions welcome, whether they be obvious tourist must-see's or something a little less obvious and requires local knowledge.

Suggestions for eating places are also welcome, and does anyone know which pubs sell Timothy Taylor Landlord in the area?

Cheers

James

8 Answers Sep 17, 2010 at 9:49 AM
    • looking for a photoworkshop one on one in august

by mvdkruk Online Now Jul 26, 2010 at 4:59 AM

Hi, we will be visiting the lake district in 2 weeks. I am looking at the web to give my husband a one on one day with a lake district photographer who knows where to go for great shots...!! Can any one give me some advice or refer me to some one? My husband knows how to make pictures...he is not a beginner...

Thanks in advance
      Miranda (Holland)

4 Answers Jul 27, 2010 at 4:30 PM
    • beatrix potter

by palomajimena Online Now Jul 21, 2010 at 4:47 PM

hi, I would like to know if there are any tour from edinburgh to new sawrey to visit beatrix potter hill top house.Let me know if you know it or which is the way to go by bus or train from edinburgh.
      thank you

2 Answers Jul 22, 2010 at 4:13 AM
    • Lake District with young children coming by Train from Edinburgh

by wooandroo Online Now Jun 13, 2010 at 10:51 PM

Hi,
      I am planning my first trip to the Lake district with a friend and 5 under 7 year olds. The youngest is almost 2, 2 are 4 and the others 6 and 7. We are planning to leave from Edinburgh by train and to camp.
      Could anyone give us advice on where would be best to go as we dont drive but want a nice nature filled experience for the kids with enough emenities at hand to keep all entertained. No computer game halls please but places with activities like rowing/fishing/adventure playgrounds etc. Also any advice on good camping grounds which are not too far from things as again we wont have a car.
      Any advice on what to pack too as its our first time camping.
      Thanks
      Thanks

4 Answers Jun 14, 2010 at 12:00 PM
    • Reg the Favouarble seaon to visit Lake District

by Radhika.ashokkumar Online Now Mar 23, 2010 at 8:22 AM

Hi ,

I am in the Crawley , South East London.We are planning to visit the Lake District during the Easter Holidays(April first week 2010 ).The BBC Weather update gives that the temperatures will vary from 5-10 degrees.Wanted to check if it is wise to travel in this period to see the complete beauty of the place or postpone the travel to a later date. Wanted to know which time period is the mot apt season to visit Lake District.Also it would be helpful if some suggestons about best accomodations in and around the aera and an idea on the Vegetarian restaurants(Preferably Indian) would be of great help.

Regards,
      Radhika.

6 Answers Mar 24, 2010 at 11:23 AM
    • Please advise: weather/road conditions: 30/12/09 - 01/01/10

by Bluettl Online Now Dec 29, 2009 at 2:13 PM

We plan to travel be car from Edinburgh to Far Sawrey, Hawkshead, Ambleside leaving tomorrow morning and returning on 01.01.10.

We have checked weather websites to see if it is safe to travel in a mid sized family vehicle but remain uncertain.

Could you please let us know if the roads are safe to travel despit the current/predicted weather?

Thank you
      Leandra

2 Answers Dec 29, 2009 at 11:09 PM
    • Where to stay ..

by mrj428 Online Now Sep 9, 2009 at 5:32 AM

Planning to walk four peaks over three days in April 2010, There will be five of us (men) and we currently looking for accomindation which provides bed Breafast at a resonable cost...

Can anyone help... or recommend

Regards.

4 Answers Nov 16, 2009 at 5:21 AM
    • Lake District log cabin recomendations please

by joeted Online Now May 11, 2009 at 3:44 PM

Hello everyone
      Im looking to book a break for me and my girlfriend to the Lake District and was wondering if you could help please
      I might be asking too much here lol but Ive always loved the idea of staying in a log cabin in a woodland setting surrounded by wildlife, trees (obviously) etc with a gorgeous view of the lake or a log cabin on the shore surround by woodland.
      Can anyone tell me if theres places of that sort to stay in the Lake District ? Ideally I dont really want to be in a area thats full of tourists, nice and quiet would be great with nice wildlife walks etc as Ive taken up photography too.
      Thanks so much in advance
      Kind regards
      Joe

3 Answers May 17, 2009 at 12:53 AM
    • Where would be a good place to stay for a party of 15?

by Paullid Online Now May 6, 2009 at 8:12 AM

Hello

I am getting married in August and was thinking about a venue for my stag weekend. I am keen to avoid your typical stag weekend of nothing but drinking and shamefull behaviour. I would like to go some where with good walks, good sceinery, good pubs and some good male bonding. I feel the lake district would be perfect but where to stay? There will be around 15 men going and i would like to know where would be best to go.

Any help or answears to my question would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

2 Answers May 7, 2009 at 2:24 PM
    • London to Lake District - drive or train? - and vegetarian hospitality

by leoniela Online Now Apr 12, 2009 at 4:09 AM

Hello,
      I plan to take my 2 teenage children to the Lake District for 3 days in early July. How long would the drive be from London? And train journey? From which London station to where? I am unable to walk long distances - how is public transport there or are there online links to local car rental prices?
      Also, any info re: prices for vegetarian b+b or half board?We will be one or two adults and two teens.
      Thanks very much in advance,
      Leonie

2 Answers Apr 12, 2009 at 5:56 AM
    • Scenic Picnic spot in or around windermere

by rahulkav Online Now Apr 8, 2009 at 5:38 AM

Dear All,

Could you suggest any nice picnic spot for having lunch in Windermere or around windermere ( 5 miles or so) We are reaching winderemere at around 11.30- 12.00 but our checkin time in the B&B is after 1. So we are planning to have our packed lunch in some open area, preferably scenic place.

Thanks for all the help given to me in arranging this.

cheers....
      RK...

3 Answers Apr 9, 2009 at 11:08 AM
    • Things to do in Lake District

by rahulkav Online Now Mar 17, 2009 at 8:18 AM

Dear All,

Thanks for your reply I finally managed to Get booking into Brendanchase B&B in windermere. We are going there as two families 4 adults and 3 kids between 4-7. Can someone suggest things to do and places to visit near windermere. Ideally we would like to have some scenic outings with a few activities for the kids. I know I am asking for too much :-)

We have three full days and stayng in windermere centre.

Regars..
      R>>>>

5 Answers Mar 27, 2009 at 6:32 AM
    • Short Break in Lake District

by rahulkav Online Now Mar 5, 2009 at 4:26 AM

Hi Guys,

I am planning to take a short break in Lake District over Easter. There are total 4 adults and and 3 kids. Is there any nice Self Catering which could be available only for 3 nights. I have checked a few but not much availability.

I checked a few Youth hostels since they provide good budget. But unfortunately availability is very limited. Any advise/tips.

cheers...
      R...

3 Answers Mar 27, 2009 at 6:33 AM