Lake District National Park Travel Answers

change location

driving in the lake district

by eric44 Online Now Apr 22, 2012 at 6:27 AM

Hi, I'm going to be spending a few days driving around the lakes at the end of may,in a classic mini, I'm looking to use mainly B and single track roads, I have some routs that I'm going to take but would welcome any local info has to good back and off main roads I can try the more winding and narrow the better it's what these little cars were made for, I'm staying in Ambleside and will be running out of there doing a different circular tour each day.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • planxty's Profile Photo

Re: driving in the lake district

by planxty Online Now Apr 22, 2012 at 7:07 AM

I have no specific routes to offer but I can tell you from experience that the Lakes get extremely crowded, especially at weekends, Bank Holidays and whenever the weather is good. The classic mini sounds great but on the wrong day you could have trouble getting it out of second, I'm afraid.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • gwendar's Profile Photo

by gwendar Online Now Apr 23, 2012 at 2:48 AM

hiyou are comeing out of amblside go south west,pick up the A593 to clappersgate,then turn left into the village onto the B5286,after 250mts turn left again keeping on B5286 follow until you see sign for LOWWRAY,TURN left and follow to HIGH WRAY,As you come out of high wray turn left for 450mts and turn left again and follow the lake,you will pick up the B5285follow this will take in views of ESTHWAITE WATER this will take you to HAWKSHEAD[good stop]follow road out for2klm,to HAWKSHEAD MILL,turn right and follow for 1.5k,this takes you to the TARNS [nice walks here] this will take you back to the B5285 and onto CONISTON,KEEP GOING ON,if u turn left you go back to hawkshead follow the road down the lake to LORWICK BRIDGE,as you approach the village signs to BANDRAKE HEAD/OXENPARK are on your left follow these, when you pass through OXENPARK turn left and follow signs to GRIZEDALE this will take yo through GRIZDALE FOREST and back to HAWKSHEAD,hope this help enjoy your trip.

• nickandchris's Profile Photo

by nickandchris Online Now May 19, 2013 at 2:51 AM

Hi, as already stated, the end of may is a bank Holiday and will be busy.

Look up the Duddon Valley:english-lakes.com/duddon_val...

There is a circular route taking in this beautiful valley but it includes England's steepest pass, Hardknott, as well as Wrynose pass.Head out of Ambleside westwards and approx.1.5 miles after Slelwith Bridge there is a right turn, an unclassified road. This is your route.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines