Lake District National Park Travel Answers

change location

beatrix potter

by palomajimena Online Now Jul 21, 2010 at 4:47 PM

hi, I would like to know if there are any tour from edinburgh to new sawrey to visit beatrix potter hill top house.Let me know if you know it or which is the way to go by bus or train from edinburgh.
thank you

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • christine.j's Profile Photo

Re: beatrix potter

by christine.j Online Now Jul 22, 2010 at 1:39 AM

I don't think you can go there on your own in just one day. I did it in August 2008, but I stayed in Kendal, much closer to Near Sawrey than Edinburgh.
    You can take the train to Windermere, then a bus down to the ferry. Then you have to take the ferry across the lake.From there you can either take another bus or walk up the public footpath. This is what I did. I needed about 45 minutes, but I lost my way a few times, so this can be done faster.
    Hill Top House was very busy, so I didn't go in but looked at the garden and the village instead.
    If you want more details, look at my page about the Lake District.

If you're interested in Beatrix Potter's life, going up there is absolutely worth it. I would try to stay closer to the Lake District, though.

By the way, apart from her books there is also a nice series about her life by Susan Wittig Albert.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • al2401's Profile Photo

Re: beatrix potter

by al2401 Online Now Jul 22, 2010 at 4:13 AM

That is quite a long journey and isn't easily done. I suggest a stopover in the Lake District - it is a very beautiful area to visit apart from Beatrix Potter.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines