Lake District National Park Travel Answers

change location

Nottingham to the Lake District

by loiedunn Online Now Jun 3, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Hi guys, my parents are flying over here from Canada and I thought a trip to the Lake District might be nice...however I've noticed that trains with East Midlands only go to either Bootle (Cumbria) or Oxenholme...which seem about an hour drive from the National Park. Do you have any tips on how to get closer to the park? Any recommendations on where to stay?

Thanks so much!
Loie

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: Nottingham to the Lake District

by leics Online Now Jun 3, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Try using the official UK railway website:

www.nationalrail.co.uk

You'll be able to get to more places than Bootle or Oxenholme! Using a rail company's own website doesn't give you the full range of routes.

Here's a zoomable map of the network showing all stations:

nationalrail.co.uk/static/do...

If you are without a car then you are best to base yourselves wherever the station is.....Kendal or Windermere, perhaps? Bus timetables here:

cumbria.gov.uk/roads-transpo...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Britannia2's Profile Photo

by Britannia2 Online Now Jun 3, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Well Bootle is on the coast and Oxenholme on the eastern edge of the park. There is nothing in either place by the way of any interest. They are both actually in the national park.
    So the route from Nottingham is - Nottingham to Manchester Piccadilly (East Midlands Trains). Then Manchester Piccadilly to Oxenholme. Change at Oxenholme - then as above I would then chose either Kendal where the train stops or Windermere where it terminates.
    My own choice would be Windermere - the town is on a large lake with pleasure steamers and there are good local bus connections to anywhere in the National Park from here. Also lots of restaurants, a theatre, a cinema and many shops. Have a look at either Windermere/Ambleside and then Kendal here on VT and then decide which you like the look of best. There are of course many other nice towns such as Keswick, Whitehaven and so on but Kendal and Windermere offer more.

• cubsur's Profile Photo

by cubsur Online Now Jun 3, 2013 at 2:52 PM

I agree that Windermere would be the best choice. it's relatively easy to get to by train and has good bus connections to many places in the Lake District.

• christine.j's Profile Photo

by christine.j Online Now Jun 3, 2013 at 9:55 PM

When I visited the Lake District, I took the train to Oxenholme and from there a taxi to my B&B in Kendal. It was a short taxi ride and not expensive. From Kendal I took the train to Windermere and first discovered a part of the Lake District by ferry and walking, and on another day I was picked up at the B&B by the Mountain Goat Company, from which I had booked a tour. I can highly recommend them, the tour was excellent.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines