Lake District National Park Travel Answers

change location
Carluchita's Profile Photo

Nicest places to visit in the Lake District with a 2 year old

by Carluchita Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Hello,

My husband and I will be staying in Lancaster with our 2 year old boy for about 5 days. We will go to Liverpool for about 2 days (hubby super fan of the Beatles) and we were wondering where should we go the rest of the days. We were thinking Conwy, Blackpool, Chester. Since we are traveling with a toddler we will be slower than normal because of naps, feeding, etc. What other places do you recommend we should visit that would be fun for my son and for us too? We rented a car.

Thanks so much!

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • wise23girl's Profile Photo

Re: Nicest places to visit in the Lake District with a 2 year old

by wise23girl Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Well I always love Lytham.... "Lytham/St Annes in Lancashire" - Lytham by wise23girl there is a windmill on the esplanade and lots of grassy areas for him to run around. Lytham town is quite lovely...not too crowded and places to enjoy a coffee easy to find....A nice trip in a car to another windmill...a cafe is here "A Church in a Meadow" - Lytham Off The Beaten Path Tip by wise23girl

and if you find St Annes by the sea...the next town there is a tavern right on the front

Blackpool of course has Pleasure Beach and the jettys.... but the shops along the front are not my idea of a 2 yr old outing. There is of course Blackpool Tower..and you can catch a tram up to Fleetwood and back for a bit of fun

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • christine.j's Profile Photo

by christine.j Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Does your son know the stories by Beatrix Potter? If so, he can visit Peter Rabbit. Beatrix Potter's home Hill Top Farm is a small museum now. I think it is too small and crowded for a two-year-old, but in Windermere there is another attraction about Peter Rabbit and his friends, which he might like better.
    http://www.hop-skip-jump.com/

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 12:20 AM

Blackpool is a 'classic' English seaside resort. Not my cup of tea, I'm afraid, and not somewhere I'd particularly want to take a toddler. There are plenty of child-focused activities on offer in and around the Lake District e.g.

dayoutwiththekids.co.uk/sear...

But although you've posted in the Lake District forum it doesn't look from your post as if you've planned to visit any of that beautiful area. Farm parks and animal centres especially are always popular with small children.

Lancaster>Conwy is a lengthy journey of 2+ hours (quite possibly more, depending on traffic). It might be worth including a couple of nights in North Wales en route to Liverpool and the Lakes. The N Wales coastline has ample to see and do, with some magnificent castles, lovely waling on the edge of Snowdonia and long sandy beaches (don't expect warm sunshine as a norm though!).

The AA routeplanner is a good guide to UK route and driving times, giving info about congestion blackspots, roadworks etc:

theaa.com/route-planner/inde...

but you should always allow more time than it suggests.

1 member found this helpful

• rosata's Profile Photo

by rosata Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 3:28 AM

As you are staying in Lancaster there is the Williamson Park Butterfly House next to Ashton Memorial inside Williamson Park which is a lovely woodland park with magnificent views and lots of play areas for the little one:
    lancaster.gov.uk/parks-and-o...

About 12 miles from Lancaster is the RSPB Leighton Moss Nature Reserve with ducks galore and, if you are lucky, otters too. Small children enjoy going to the 'hides' and viewing the wildlife:
    rspb.org.uk/reserves/guide/l...

Kendal, gateway to the Lake District about 20 miles up the M6, is a lovely town to visit with art gallery, cafes, shops and a riverside walk with ducks to feed.

Kirkby Lonsdale and Morecambe are other places not too far from Lancaster.

• Carluchita's Profile Photo

by Carluchita Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Thank you all for your advice. I will research them all. They look wonderful. The Peter Rabbit place look lovely, I am sure my son will love it. I will buy him some book so he is more familiar about it when we get there.

Leics, yes we want to visit the Lake District area but didn't know where to start. But now we have a better idea.

We will also be driving to Glasgow so we thought we could stop on the way and visit the different areas. Are there any particular ones that you suggest we should stop and spend some time? We heard is beautiful out there! I am so excited about the trip.

• nickandchris's Profile Photo

by nickandchris Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 7:10 AM

I would suggest South Lakes Wild Animal Park http://www.wildanimalpark.co.uk/

http://www.lakesiderailway.co.uk/

Not sure what time of year you are visiting?

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines