Lahaina Travel Answers

change location

Traveling from Honalulu to Lahaina-quickest/cheapest

by shelcreek Online Now Feb 21, 2011 at 11:22 AM

I will be meeting my husband in Honalulu in July and traveling to Lahaina to meet family. What do you recommend for transportation to Lahaina from Honalulu? This is out of my element. PLEASE HELP with ideas and suggestions?

Thanks~!

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • gabesz's Profile Photo

Re: Traveling from Honalulu to Lahaina-quickest/cheapest

by gabesz Online Now Feb 21, 2011 at 12:36 PM

Lahaina is in Maui and Honolulu is in Ohau. They are two different islands. The easiest transport is via air either Hawaiin Airlines or Mukalele Air. You can look on either one for air fares. From the airport in Maui, Lahaina is about a 35-40 minute drive so your will need a car to get around. You can also rent this on line as well.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Jamesr3939's Profile Photo

by Jamesr3939 Online Now Feb 21, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Take Island Air from HNL to JHM. JHM is 10 minutes from Lahaina and a lot better airport to fly in/out of to that side of the island. It is a small airport and very laid back. If you get there an hour before your flight you will probably be the only person in the airport.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• Jamesr3939's Profile Photo

by Jamesr3939 Online Now Feb 21, 2011 at 5:44 PM

If you are not going to do any driving, take a taxi into Lahaina for about20 and save the car cost. If you want to drive around then still take the taxi and then rent a car for the days you want to explore. Rental cars can be expensive so I wouldn't rent one if I didn't need to.

We travel to that area frequently so let me know where you are staying and I can give you some ideas on where to eat. Our most favorite is Mala's on Front Street just behind the Safeway. Also, Io's and Lahanina Grill are good. Kimo's is great for prime rib, biggest cut of prime rib I have ever seen.

1 member found this helpful

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Feb 21, 2011 at 8:09 PM

James is correct regarding flying into Kapalua Airport just a few miles from Lahaina. I lived in Lahaina for several years and I can give you a ton of information on Lahaina, and the rest of my Maui. Maui no ka oi. (Maui is the best). Holla if you need more information.

Aloha nui loa

1 member found this helpful

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines