Lahaina Travel Answers

change location

tours in Lahaina

by onthego43 Online Now Aug 12, 2007 at 2:45 PM

Our ship will dock Oct 2 from 9:00 am - 11:00 pm. Are there tours we can catch at that time? Any at docks or individuals who give independent tours?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Re: tours in Lahaina

by domdiggy8 Online Now Aug 16, 2007 at 4:08 PM

Cruising around Lahaina without a tour guide is preferred. I don't think you need one. It's mostly shops and tourist traps, but there is a lot of history there. Go to the Banyan tree and the old prison.

You can easily lull the day away just walking around, but if you want to do something fun, like a snorkel trip, or submarine ride, you can book it early. I would book something in advance. Go to Hawaii.com or Maui-vacation.net to find activities that appeal to you. Lahaina is a lot of fun at night too. Some good restaurants everywhere.

Stay away from Bubba Gumps, though.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Linaka's Profile Photo

Re: tours in Lahaina

by Linaka Online Now Aug 16, 2007 at 6:01 PM

Where exactly is your ship docking ... because if in Kahului, the main port ... you will be in central Maui. Lahaina is in west Maui about 45 minutes away. May need to consider transportation for the day. And if you end up needing a rent car may as well really explore.
    We prefer easy hikes in the 'Iao Valley in Wailuku, next door neighbor city from Kahului; or a trek up the summit of Haleakala; or exploring upcountry to see the diversity of Maui's climate zones -- Tedeschi Winery, Grandma's Coffee, lavendar farm, several botanical gardens, definitely Kula Lodge for the amazing views plus breakfast, lunch, dinner ...
    Also near airport/port in Kahului, just down the road is the town of Paia. Great shopping, good restaurants, 3 cool beaches nearby at Baldwin and Ho'okipa, can just go to overlook up on the point and watch surfers and windsurfers. Up the slope, maybe 10 minutes, is the town of Makawao with great shops, galleries, restaurants, Hot Island Glass studio. Both are small towns, maybe 2-4 blocks for the main drag .. and they are MUCH less crowded and busy than Lahaina or west Maui. Feel more laid back, more locals, not so tourist-y and expensive like west Maui.
    Also one of the BEST restaurants on Maui, and that is saying a lot, is between Paia and Makawao - the Haliimaile General Store ... wow !!! Not on the beach or even in that fab a location since it overlooks the pineapple and cane fields and the slopes of Haleakala ... but wonderful rainbow and sunset views, and the food .... oh my !!!

• dsunlin's Profile Photo

Re: tours in Lahaina

by dsunlin Online Now Sep 14, 2007 at 2:32 PM

Yeah, I didn't see any cruiseships at Lahaina's "harbor".

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines