Lahaina Travel Answers

change location
PamRay's Profile Photo

Things to Do in Lahaina

by PamRay Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Any suggestions please, we will be there from 21st March to 28th March for our 20th wedding anniversary, we would like to go somewhere nice for dinner on the 27th, also any other suggestions would be great, Thanks

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • Odinnthor's Profile Photo

Re: Things to Do in Lahaina

by Odinnthor Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Aloha nui........d:o)
    Thank you for the e-mail message and the kind words.

Mmmmmm, Lahaina. I love that town. Lived there for five years, during the great rock n roll star heaven years back in the day.

Even with your husband's handicap, there is a lot you two can still do.

First, you state vaguely that you are staying in Lahaina. I am almost sure you are not. Let me explain. The Hotel Circle (Kaanapali) area is 3 miles out side of Lahaina, and all the west Maui condo properties are further up the coast, past the hotel circle. In the last decade, all of those properties have, due to easier sell, have changed their addresses, all of whom reflect that they are in Lahaina. They are not. So, - first tell me where you afe staying. (hotel).

Second question, - will you have a car? A day trip to Hana is a must. It can be done in a rentacar or by tour. Also a tour or trip to the top of Haleakala volcano. Bring a jacket/sweater, if you decide to do the Sunrise Tour to the top of the volcano (10K feet). It gets positively chilly up there. As a tour this is a half day.

So is a tour to Iao Needle, where yu see the natural formation of JFK's profile..

Restaurants afre plentiful of course. For the annyversary, I suggest Longhi's in Lahaina. I was there when they opened....back in the mid 70s. Lahaina Broiler ios also good. Blue Max is a must and so is the Whale's Tail.

You may want to onsider a dinner at the Sheraton ion Kaanapali, where, if you do it right, you can have dinner and enjoy the cliff diving done off of Black Rock from the dining room.

Make sure you visit the Lahaina Whaling Museum, and the whailing ship doced behind the Pioneer Inn in the heart of Lahaina. There is also the old jailhouse, where Herman Melville sat in a cell while he wrote Moby Dick........

Let me know where you are staying and if you have a car, and I will be able to determine other activities that does not restrict yur husband, and I can give you links to most of what you need.

Aloha nui loa...........do)

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • PamRay's Profile Photo

by PamRay Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 10:46 AM

We are staying at the Lahaina Shores, 475 Front Street, Lahaina, we won't have a car, thanks for all your information it will help us decide where to eat etc.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Oh my, no one ever takes my advise on the Lahaina Shores. That is where I stay when I go back there. Walking distance everywhere in Lahaina.

OK, you can take tours then, if you do not have a car. There still should be a bus service from Lahaina to the hotels in Kaanapali, and it is worth a visit. Nice shopping\center there called Whaler's Village. That bus service goes as far as Napili and back to Lahaina.

When you exit the hotel/condo and turn left, you can see that there is a shopping center right next to the hotel and further down the street you can see the Pioneer Inn, next to the harbor, and the second largest Banyan Tree in the world. You will see a seawall for a short spell, with no buildings on the ocean side of Front Street.

Continue walking and you will see the Lahainaluna Road leading straight up the mountain, and you can see the Big L carved into the mountain for the Lahainaluna Highschool. Halfway up that road is where I lived.

You can catch a ride on the Lahaina Kaanapali and Pacific Railroad, also known as the Sugar Cane Train, between Lahaina and Kaanapali hotels. You can also partake in a Luau. There are several ones to choose from.

http://www.sugarcanetrain.com/

http://www.oldlahainaluau.com/

Not sure exactly what your husband can and cannot do, - but if he can sit on a horse, this is for you. Most people are unaware of the rich Hawaii cattle ranching culture. The cowboys are called paniolo, and are mostly Portuguese generations of paniolos.

http://www.makenastables.com/

This is the shopping center next to your hotel...

http://www.505frontstreet.com/

Here is the Carthagnian whaling ship museum down the street from your hotel, and also the Pioneer Inn

hawaiiweb.com/maui/carthagin...

mauiguidebook.com/camping/ha...

You may want to consider a heli tour of the island's spectacular scenery...

http://www.airmaui.com/

Here is the restaurant I suggested.

http://www.longhis.com/

Finally, here is the No Ka Oi Magazine. ( "Maui No Ka Oi" means Maui is the best...)

mauimagazine.net/Maui-Magazi...

Enjoy my Maui........................d:o)
    Aloha nui loa.....

• Jamesr3939's Profile Photo

by Jamesr3939 Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Right next door are IO's and Pacifico's both owned by the same person. We have never done Pacifico's (not sure why), mabye because we love IO's so much.

1 member found this helpful

• PamRay's Profile Photo

by PamRay Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Thanks for the info, that will give us lots to think about

• PamRay's Profile Photo

by PamRay Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Thanks again