Laguna San Rafael Travel Answers

change location
MariusG's Profile Photo

visiting Laguna San Rafael

by MariusG Online Now Oct 31, 2003 at 1:33 AM

Hi, I am preparing for a trip to Patagonia and I have some questions about Laguna San Rafael 1. is it very different from Moreno and Upsala glaciers in Argentina which I plan visiting anyway, in other words does it make sense to spend this little fortune for Laguna San Rafael trip? 2. I was told that there is a one day sail option as well, but I can't find it on Internet, only these very expensive 3-5 day trips - any information? 3. I was also told that there is also a flight option to Laguna San Rafael - any information on that? Thank you, Marius

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • robine's Profile Photo

Re: visiting Laguna San Rafael

by robine Online Now Oct 31, 2003 at 2:55 AM

I can't compare it with the Argentine glaciers, but I can tell you that it's spectacular. But as far as I know there's no alternative to an expensive 3-6 day approach by sea.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • hmoitta's Profile Photo

Re: visiting Laguna San Rafael

by hmoitta Online Now Oct 31, 2003 at 3:50 AM

well, I am planning a trip to that area and for the moment I gave up of going to Laguna San Rafael because of the price; there are full day excursions in catamaran but the price is about US$200, so the NAVIMAG ship from Puerto Chacabuco or Puerto Montt becomes more interesting if you have enough time; a local operator site is: http://www.cabot.cl/

• MariusG's Profile Photo

Re: Re: visiting Laguna San Rafael

by MariusG Online Now Oct 31, 2003 at 7:03 AM

Robin, thank you for your answer. You are the only person who made this trip and answered me, so I'd appreciate if you could tell me more about it, e.g. if you ordered it back home or on Interenet , if you started at Port Montt or at Port Chacabuco, if it met your expectations, what the others thought etc.; also any practical advices that you might have. I am seriously considering taking this trip.

• MariusG's Profile Photo

by MariusG Online Now Oct 31, 2003 at 7:15 AM

Heloisa, this is a good tip! I'm going to email these Cabot guys and ask them about the various options that they offer. Cheers, Marius

• robine's Profile Photo

by robine Online Now Oct 31, 2003 at 7:55 AM

We were living in Santiago at the time, and so arranged it locally. We took the "Skorpios" out of Puerto Montt for a six-night cruise, taking in the island of Chiloe and the wonderful coast as well as the glacier (where we were served 18-year-old Scotch with 20,000-year-old ice!) A very comfortable trip, with excellent freshly-caught seafood and incomparable views - altogether unforgettable. But, it has to be said, also VERY expensive. If you can get the cash together, though, then go - you certainly won't regret it.

• Re: visiting Laguna San Rafael

by iceend Online Now Dec 23, 2003 at 6:25 PM

Hello, I am "iceend". You have two one day trip to LSR(laguna san rafael) 1.- Aysenexpress Catamaran leaves on Saturday around 9am returns around 20.30 to 21.00. The food is just a snack. 2.- Chaiten Catamaran leaves on saturday at 08.00 and is back around 22.30. The food is great and you have open bar. Guide information very good and an excellent English. US 300.- bye.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines