Lagos Travel Answers

change location

Internet cafe

by hd482 Online Now May 22, 2008 at 5:06 PM

Hi, everyone. I have been asked to help setup a internet cafe in Lagos. The person involved will pay for my return flight. I will pay for my own accomandation. Help setup the internet cafe. Then fly home again. I would like to help but am unsure what to do. Is it safe in lagos. What are the people like ? I will help train local people to run the internet and use windows operating systems. I only have four days. What I would really like to know is ? If I wanted to leave early, for whatever reason, can I book a flight home myself. How much do I have to pay in local taxes to leave the country. Many thanks, in advance. HD

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Re: Internet cafe

by anton64 Online Now May 22, 2008 at 10:41 PM

Hi. I can guarantee you will both hate and love Lagos. The people are fantastic, very friendly and enthusiastic. There are some really nice restaurants etc but the city is the most chaotic place I have ever been. Even though it has improved much over the past 8 years the lack infrastructure and petty coruption is exhausting. Trafic is really chaotic during most of the day, anywhere you go. If you listen to the advice of your hosts you should be fine. There is violent crime but I ahve never been avictim there, that too is much beter than 5 to 10 years ago. There are no departure taxes payable when leaving. Lagos is expensive accomodation wise if you want a decent place to stay. I suggest the Protea Hotel (there are three in Lagos) which will cost ca US$ 300 a night. Steep but much cheaper than the Sherraton or Meridian which will be US$ 400 to US$ 500. Go with an open mind and enjoy the Nigerian hospitality.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Internet cafe

by halfcurrent Online Now Jan 4, 2009 at 3:37 AM

Am sorry if I have different views, but my questions are as follows:

1. What is your relationship with your prospective business partners in Lagos?
    2. What is so special about internet café that your partners would require the service of a foreign technical expertise?
    3. What is the expected revenue?
    4. How do they intend to defray the cost (travel, hotel, and logistic) of bringing in an expat for a mere internet café?

Please, be very careful so that you don’t get scammed by some unscrupulous elements.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines