Lagos Travel Answers

change location

First time in Lagos/Nigeria

by Shaili Online Now Oct 14, 2005 at 8:32 AM

Hi All,
I'm traveling to Lagos on 16th October. I'll be there for about 3 to 4 weeks. I have my business contacts there who'll make all accomodation arrangements. But I'd like to get some general tips about Lagos and Nigeria.
I'll have a lot of free time during the weekends, so I'm looking for some nice things to do...
Is there anything that I cannot miss? Anywhere that I have to go?
Also, anything that I should not do? Or any place that I should avoid?
Is there a wildlife safari nearby?
How is the nightlife?
Any tips and info would be useful... also, if any other travelers there are looking for some drinking buddy or a safari partner - I'm here!

Thanks a lot for your reply...

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • lovelygirl_35's Profile Photo

RE: First time in Lagos/Nigeria

by lovelygirl_35 Online Now Jul 29, 2006 at 1:21 PM

Hi,
    I lived in Lagos and my biggest advice for you is this: don't be a 'naive'. Nigeria is well known for con artistry. Don't carry much cash with you or be showey with the money, or next thing you know you'll be robbed. Have someone you know meet you at the airport, as even taxis are not safe for foreigners and do not ride on the local 'yellow buses'. There are some areas of the city that are best to be avoided and its best not to go out alone at nights. Victoria Island is your safest area.
    You may find the vehicle you are being driven about in stopped and pulled over frequently by the Lagos Police for 'checks'....most times they are looking for dash. Don't offer dash, but if they insist, don't argue, just give it to them, as it will save u from being arrested and taken to the local police station, where you will waste time and eventually give dash to be released.
    Believe me, this is like no where else in the world and you must know the customs to do well in this society.
    Shopping is a real adventure at the markets and bargaining is a must...usually u pay about half of what they ask for in the beginning.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines