Lago di Como Travel Answers

change location
skywalkerbeth's Profile Photo

Buying property on Lake Como as a foreigner

by skywalkerbeth Online Now Jun 20, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Good evening

I am in the very preliminary stages of assessing feasibility. This would be a flat - not a villa (I wish).

Does anyone have some good resources (books, websites) to recommend in doing research? Tax aspects, foreign owner pitfalls, letting the property afterwards, and so on?

We usually stay mid lake (Lenno or Varenna) and I think I'm partial to the western side but would probably expand the search to other areas - but no farther north than mid-lake.

I have experience in owning a second home but the one I have is not a rental - so the rental aspect would be completely new to me.

Many thanks.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • ranger49's Profile Photo

Re: Buying property on Lake Como as a foreigner

by ranger49 Online Now Jun 21, 2011 at 1:42 AM

Whilst waiting for a reply from someone who has actually done it you may find something useful and of interest among the links below.

We do have a VT member who holds US/Italian citizenship and lives in Rome. I’m sure she would have a mine of information - try looking up Member Icume.

slowtrav.com/italy/planning/...

transitionsabroad.com/public...

seeitalia.com/articles/livin...

expatexchange.com/italy/live...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • skywalkerbeth's Profile Photo

by skywalkerbeth Online Now Oct 28, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Thank you Ranger!

• SamH51's Profile Photo

by SamH51 Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 1:13 AM

I Searched with Same Query to find Answer and Found a Good Article to Read ...

Rules of property sale in Lake Como area are unique in itself. Sealing a luxury property deal requires more than money in Como. So, here are some tips to search, rent and buy Lake Como property; Read more... realestatecommunities.com/ti...

• KatrineA's Profile Photo

by KatrineA Online Now Jul 5, 2013 at 6:51 AM

Hi , I was Very serious while i went for buy my first home as foreigner After all, if it's your first time , may be second or may you frquently goes with that as foreginer ...In every case you've got questions. You might be a little nervous that you'll mess up, and it's normal to feel that way. You are probably spending hundreds of thousands of dollars and making the most important financial purchase of your life.
    Before you start looking for a home to buy , In your Case Around lake como (that's one of well known lake near northern italy ) , First work out what you can afford as well as find out what you need to pay for. Compare properties views and your requirement. Start by asking your friends and family member for referrals. Make sure you are comfortable with your agent before committing to work with that person.Two more important factor that are analyzing Housing Prices have dropped to an Affordable level ? and Market is Favorable for buyers Market ? For Referral Would like to share golfing-in-lake-como.blogspo... , Where Everything covered Regarding buying home near northern Italy Buying a villa in a foreign location could be an arduous task considering the research and offshore factor. Selecting a place can be equally demanding when it comes to purchasing holiday homes and real estate property...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines