Lago de Atitlán Travel Answers

change location

Safety in Guatemala

by Garrell Online Now Jan 5, 2005 at 5:10 PM

I am thinking of traveling to Lake Atlivan with my 7 years old daughter born in Guatemala. Would you go with a Guatemalan child? Do you feel the country is safe for a woman and child?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Chenbaaxal's Profile Photo

Re: Safety in Guatemala

by Chenbaaxal Online Now Jan 6, 2005 at 2:00 PM

From what I can see, the biggest dangers in the highlands to tourists that may not seem obvious in travel anywhere is in being on tour buses or vans and in hiking in rural areas, especially around Lake Atitlan. No country is safe, but there are different levels of safety. I presume that you are taking her so she can appreciate her homeland. I think that is great. However, I don't know how much she will remember of it. What do you remember of trips your family took when you were age seven? On the other hand, the fishing trip my family took that I barely remember at that age may have played a role in my love of fishing. Call me ambivalent on this.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Re: Safety in Guatemala

by Garrell Online Now Jan 9, 2005 at 11:30 AM

Thank you for your input. I think there is a cumulative broadening of ones thinking when you travel even if you don't remember every detail, however, it's not worth it if there is risk I am not comfortable with. It seems to me that to travel around the lake for us would be by bus or van so perhaps another destination would be better. I can go to Mexico with her, its not the same but perhaps a better choice now. My fear is Guatelmala will never be safe enough for us and I want her to see the country she was born in.

• RE: Safety in Guatemala

by mamiloo Online Now Mar 26, 2005 at 6:27 PM

I am just contemplating a trip to Guatemala with my 7 year old, also born there.
    I am curious as to the feedback you got since January and whether you finally did go.
    Best regards.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines