Lago de Atitlán Travel Answers

change location

Tourism

by jendj Online Now Mar 9, 2003 at 12:40 PM

what is the most important village to see?

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • ksdhood's Profile Photo

Re: Tourism

by ksdhood Online Now Mar 10, 2003 at 3:41 AM

I guess it all depends on what you mean by "important"! When I was there in 2000, I enjoyed Momostenango -- it's a wonderful village out in the highlands. There are also many traditional villages out on the Lake (Atitlan) that are definately worth visiting! Momos is a bit off the tourist track -- but if you're into that sort of thing, give it a try. Have fun -- (I'll be there in two weeks -- when is your trip?) kim

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • ksdhood's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Tourism

by ksdhood Online Now Mar 10, 2003 at 3:44 AM

Ooops - I just reread your post and realized that you were specifically asking about villages on the Lake!! Sorry. I would recommend San Pedro and Santiago (to name a couple) -- these are two great traditional villages -- you can't go wrong here if you're looking for a bit of immersion into traditional life! :) kim

• alfredop's Profile Photo

by alfredop Online Now May 13, 2003 at 8:06 AM

This might be a late response but the city nearby the lake is Panajachel which is really cool... buy lots of clothing and help the poor locals!!! You can take a look at my page which I hope to expand soon. Enjoy!

• filipdebont's Profile Photo

by filipdebont Online Now May 13, 2003 at 8:21 AM

Hi, While I was visiting the region of Lago Atitlan, I stayed in Panajachel, here there were plenty of restaurants, banks, shops, hotels . . . I visited 3 villages along the lake, first one was Santa Catarina Palopo, small village, with a beautiful church, then San Lucas Toliman, also very small and build on the slopes of a hill, and then the more touristic Santiago Atitlan, where you can visit Maximom, a Maya god. You are welcom to visit my Lago Atitlan page (I was there last year), if you have further questions, do not hesitate, just ask, . . .I will try to answer. Filip

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines