Lago Titicaca

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• machu picchu without tour guide?

Cuzco Apr 15, 2014 at 1:05 PM

can someone tell me when is the cut off date to go to machu picchu without a tour guide?
      thanks

more
    • stamporama's Profile Photo

Questions, questions....

Cusco Mar 28, 2014 at 2:40 AM

1) Which gives a better exchange rate in Cusco, banks or money changers?
      2) What are the areas is Cusco that tourists should stay clear of?
      3) If we need to catch the 11 am train from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes, what time should we leave Cusco if we take a cab? How much is the current taxi fare between Cusco and Ollantaytambo, one-way? Or is there an alternative to a taxi, like maybe an express bus (same route)?
      4) I understand that food cannot be brought inside Machu Picchu but what about water? Could someone verify that it is allowed provided that it's in refillable containers but not in plastic disposable bottles?
      5) Finally, is it possible for Machu Picchu visitors to enter the Inca Trail in the reverse direction in order to view Winay Wayna? If yes, how much is the cost if any and is a guide still required for this?

Thanks for any responses!

more
    • fast early morning/midday/evening buses Cusco/puno

Cusco Mar 23, 2014 at 6:50 PM

We have found some buses that do Cusco to Puno arriving at 2 pm earliest. Are there any that arrive earlier in the day? We don't really care what sort of bus so long as its cheap and fast. (Local bus...?)

And wed also like to find a bus from Puno to Cusco that leaves in the afternoon, so arriving around 9 or 10. Just as long as this one doesnt leave in the morning and doesn't drive during the sleepiest hours, we want it.

Why do the bus companies only have early morning or overnight service?

more
    • PERU BEST TOURS OPERATOR?

Peru Mar 28, 2014 at 3:45 PM

A friend of us is booked with them for November. We would like to join....have anyone here used them?

Thanks in advance for any feedback...

more
    • JosephW10's Profile Photo

Travelling to Machu Picchu from 2th May to 6th May (4 nights)

Cusco Mar 25, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Hi everyone,

I will be staying in Cusco for 4 nights and will hope to visit Machu Picchu but i can only book my tickets 2 weeks before i travel so i am wondering is there sufficient time for me to book the train from Cusco to Machu Picchu ?

Joseph Ng

more
    • travel to Cuzco Machu picchu from Lima

Cuzco Mar 24, 2014 at 2:44 PM

it will be ok to go to Machu picchu for only three days two nights? Can I purchase the airplanes tickets in Lima?

more
    • TracyOS's Profile Photo

What to bring to Peru?

Peru Apr 14, 2014 at 5:24 PM

Any suggestions about what to pack for Lima, Cusco, Machu Picchu? I'm not backpacking and only there 1 week in May.

more
    • arriving in cusco

Cusco Mar 22, 2014 at 6:20 PM

I am heading to Cusco this April 11-28th. I was told to head straight to Sacred Valley after arriving into Cusco to help avoid altitude sickness I arrive at approx. 10:30am on Saturday and need to return to Cusco sometime Sunday afternoon. Is it worth spending the travel time? I will be doing volunteer work during the work, but have weekends off. Must go to Machu Picchu, do I need to purchase entrance/ train tickets this far in advance. I'll have a couple of weekends free which is when I plan to go to Machu Picchu and probably the Sacred Valley. Do you think I need to book entrance and train tickets in advance or can I organize it when I get to Cusco? Ideally would prefer to wait till I get there in case I want to change things around. Thanks!

more
    • Rental car

Puno Mar 21, 2014 at 1:09 PM

Hi

does anybody know if there is a rental car station in Puno or Juliaca? I cannot find anyone...

Thanks for helping!

Veronika

more
    • photographic gear

Machu Picchu Mar 27, 2014 at 1:07 AM

I am wondering if a tripod is permitted inside the ruins and if it is necessary. We intend going first thing in the morning. Thank you in anticipation.

more
    • machu picchu without tour guide?

Cuzco Apr 15, 2014 at 1:05 PM

can someone tell me when is the cut off date to go to machu picchu without a tour guide?
      thanks

more
    • stamporama's Profile Photo

Museum recommendation

Lima Apr 5, 2014 at 2:29 AM

We'll be in Lima on a 12-hour layover and we plan to go around on our own. I've read that there a lot of museums in town but if we had time to visit just one, which would it be?

Thanks for any replies.

more
    • Things to do in Puno in half a day

by marcopolo180 Online Now Nov 26, 2013 at 9:09 AM

I will arrive at JULIACA airport at 11:30am and will be taking the train from Puno to Cusco the next morning at 8am. Is it possible to visit Uros islands for just one afternoon?

4 Answers Nov 26, 2013 at 3:57 PM
    • Peru in October

by Melandgreg Online Now Aug 3, 2012 at 5:22 PM

My husband I will be in Peru for 12 days in October. We plan to see Aztec ruins in the Sacred Valley, Machu Pichu, and to fly over the Nazca lines
      Part of our trip will be to Lake Titicaca. I would dearly love to travel into Bolivia and see Tiahuanacu and Puma Puccu but my husband says Bolivia would be unsafe for us. I was unable to schedule travel there when I booked the trip originally.
      Does anyone have an opinion about travel into Bolivia to those two locations? Should I try to schedule something once we arrive in Cuzco or should we forget the Bolivia side trip?
      Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

14 Answers Sep 30, 2012 at 5:54 PM
    • swdke's Profile Photo

Sillustani instead of Taquile?

by swdke Online Now Jan 2, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Trying to plan an itinerary for a Peru vacation. We are interested in visiting Lake Titicaca, the reed floating islands. One tour operator suggest in his itinerary a visit to Taquile. But, when I shared this information with a friend who'd been to this area, he says NO to Taquile, and to visit Sillustani instead. Now I am confused, particularily becasue I don't now enough about either place to know what I should see, or not see. Would appreciate best way to visit Lake Titicaca, and varous sights to see and do, in a day. Thank you.

10 Answers Jan 5, 2012 at 5:16 AM
    • solskinsglad's Profile Photo

Homestay + distances

by solskinsglad Online Now Oct 5, 2011 at 8:57 AM

I'll be going to Peru shortly, and will do homestay on an island in Titicaca.

How far are the island? I will visit Uro, Amantani and Taquile. How much sailing does that include?

How's the food? High risk of stomach problems?
      How's the accomodation? Should I bring blankets or anything else?

Any other recommendations?

Thanks

2 Answers Apr 29, 2012 at 10:35 AM
    • one day trip tp copacabana

by hilelarkin Online Now May 19, 2011 at 10:53 PM

I will arrive to Puno (Juliaca) on Oct. 5, 15.00 PM, and depart on Oct. 8, 08.00 AM.
      I plan to do the Uros boat tour on Oct. 6. As to the next day, I can either make the overstay on Armantani or just stay in Puno (beach day). I thought however, that there is a possibility to make a one day trip to Copacabana, either by bus, by rented car or otherwise. Any suggestions on this idea will be appreciated, together with reccommendation if the entire concept is more interesting that the overstay on Armantani.

4 Answers May 20, 2011 at 11:09 PM
    • azf's Profile Photo

Best Place to Relax in the Titicaca Area

by azf Online Now Jun 26, 2010 at 2:04 PM

Hi,

I plan on spending a week or so in the Lake Titicaca area. Although I plan on spending a day or two exploring the area, I want to spend 3-5 days just taking a break from life and relaxing (e.g., in a hammock in some quiet area with a book). What is that place in the Titicaca area to just relax? I hear it's probably on the Bolivian side, but any more suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

-Alex

3 Answers Jul 16, 2010 at 6:58 PM
    • ddbleu's Profile Photo

Lake Titicaca or the Amazon?

by ddbleu Online Now Sep 3, 2008 at 10:50 AM

Hi, I'm planning a trip next Spring in May when I will do a 7-day cruise in the Galapagos, then planning to spend a few days in Peru. Of course I will visit Machu Pichu, then because of limited time and budget will have to choose between Lake Titicaca or the Amazon. I will have about two extra days in Peru to visit one of these spots. Any advice on which to choose? Also, I wlil be traveling alone. Thanks!

11 Answers Sep 7, 2008 at 9:49 AM
    • Advice on Titicaca

by ieee3 Online Now Feb 3, 2008 at 6:39 PM

hi,

I will be in Lima for a day, Cusco for 4 - 5 days. I will have 2 days after that and am wondering if I should go to Titicaca or spend it in and around Lima.

If I go to Titicaca the plan is to take a bus on day 1 and stay overnite at Puno, take a 3 hr tour to Uros and fly back to Lima.
      1. Is it worth going just for a 3 hr trip?
      2. How early do the boat tours start?
      3. What is the best (and safe) way to get from Titicaca to Juliaca airport. I will be alone on my way back. I am a single woman who does not know spanish. Is it even recommended?
      4. My international flight from Lima leaves at 11:30pm. Will I be ok taking the last flight out of Juliaca or is it better to take the 2 pm flight?

If I do not go to Titicaca, what are my other choices to see around Lima - I heard there are some islands called Galapagos of Peru - is it worth going there?

thanks much for your response

2 Answers Feb 5, 2008 at 12:09 AM
    • Boats and buses...

by austen1973 Online Now Apr 1, 2007 at 4:47 AM

Hi,
      I intend to travel from Cuzco to lake Titicaca then to Isla Taquile and Amantani...from what I've seen in the guides, it looks like all the trips either Puno-Cuzco are done in the morning by bus...is this correct ? If not, which company bus does return in the afternoon ? Also, the boat rides to the islands are done early morning and not in the afternoon...do you have any idea if it's possible to rent a whole boat to get to the island as soon as I arrive in Puno as I don't want to stay onvernight in Puno...
      many thanks !!!

3 Answers Apr 7, 2007 at 9:17 PM
    • micky_d's Profile Photo

getting to Titicaca from Cuzco

by micky_d Online Now Nov 26, 2005 at 9:02 PM

hi,
      does anybody know how much time it would take me to go from Cuzco to Titicaca?
      also, what is there to do once i get there?
      and, will 2 nights be enough to get the gist of it?

lastly, can i "use" the couple of nights in Titicaca as my altitude acclimatization?

Thanks for any help
      md

1 Answer Nov 27, 2005 at 3:36 AM
    • Traveling to Lake Titicaca & Its Islands

by trekone Online Now Aug 14, 2005 at 6:03 PM

I have a few questions about visiting the islands of Uros, Amantani and Taquile from Puno:

1. What is the best rate I can get for the boat ride to these islands?
      2. About how long is each boat ride?
      3. Can, and should, the whole island tour be done in 1 day? (Are there boats going back to Puno from Isle Taquile in the evening?)
      4. Is the overnight stay with a native family worth it?

I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

• Hualcupen's Profile Photo

How to return from Puno (Titicaca) to Lima? via Cuzco or Arequipa?

by Hualcupen Online Now Dec 2, 2004 at 8:47 AM

I´m planning a trip from Argentina to Peru. Will fly Bs As-Lima, and then Lima-Cuzco, to go to Machu Picchu. After that, taking the PeruRail, will go to Puno and titicaca lake. The question is: to return from Puno to Lima, what route should I take? again the same train, or I should take a Bus (I´ve been said that train between Puno Arequipa are not available) to Arequipa traveling a new route, and there fly to Lima? thanks

• What do to in Peru for 6 to 7 days?

by ra_cc_oo_n Online Now Aug 18, 2004 at 10:27 AM

Hello All "Real" Tourists, My wife and I are planning to visit Peru for 6 to 7 days. We will be reaching Cuzco on 09/07 and can stay in Peru till 13th or 14th of September. We want to visit Machu Picchu (by train and bus, no hike) and we also want to visit Arequipa (if possible), Lake Titicacca (it would be great if we can stay in one of those floating villages, we also want to sail on the lake), is Urubumba valley also worth visiting (should we add it in the list?). Can you please recommend how do we go for it?. Til' now we have the following plan 09/07 - reach cusco around 4p 09/08 - may be stay in cusco or go early morning to machu picchu 09/09 - stay overnight in MP 09/10 - leave for lake titicacca 09/10, 09/11 - stay on the lake (preferrably two different places) 09/12 or 09/13 - leave peru Can you please suggest a more concrete and a solid plan? Thanks.

9 Answers Jan 12, 2005 at 5:37 PM
    • guntackle's Profile Photo

Puno to La Paz

by guntackle Online Now Jul 23, 2004 at 4:11 PM

Hi there Unfortunately I have an extremely limited stay in Peru but it has always been an ambition of mine to sail on Lake Titicaca. I have heard that there is a Hydrofoil that croses from Puno to La Paz (via Isla Sol). If this is true can anybody tell me how I can book a trip across the lake (I arrive on the train from Cusco at 1800 on Monday 4th October and need to be in La Paz for my flight to Chile on Friday 9th October). Can anyone out there help - have any ideas? Regards Mike

2 Answers Jul 6, 2006 at 4:24 PM
    • Organize a Homestay?

by Moneekey Online Now Jun 1, 2004 at 7:58 PM

Hello I've been told that people often set up a 'homestay' while visiting Lake Titicaca? Is this something that needs to be organized in advance or is it something one can organize on the day of arrival?

4 Answers Dec 17, 2004 at 6:09 AM