Lago Titicaca Travel Answers

change location
solskinsglad's Profile Photo

Homestay + distances

by solskinsglad Online Now Oct 5, 2011 at 8:57 AM

I'll be going to Peru shortly, and will do homestay on an island in Titicaca.

How far are the island? I will visit Uro, Amantani and Taquile. How much sailing does that include?

How's the food? High risk of stomach problems?
How's the accomodation? Should I bring blankets or anything else?

Any other recommendations?

Thanks

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

Re: Homestay + distances

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Oct 5, 2011 at 10:59 AM

It was all good fun. Here are a couple of short videos from out 2005 trip there:

Uros: "Uros Floating Islands - Lake Titicaca - Peru" - Lago Titicaca Video by GrumpyDiver

Amantani: "Amantani Island Homestay - Lake Titicaca - Peru" - Lago Titicaca Video by GrumpyDiver

Uros was quite close to Puno. Perhaps 45 minutes by boat, and the stop there was for around an hour. Amantani was probably 60 to 90 minutes further away. Things there were quite quite basic; no running water, outhouse, etc. The food was fine, but again quite basic and none of us (including the girls) did not have any health problems from the food. Altitude was the issue, but in our case, mostly just shortness of breath issues. Amantani is quite hilly and the village is well up the hill. Tequile is also quite the climb...

I hope this helps.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Homestay + distances

by TRAVELLER_77 Online Now Apr 29, 2012 at 10:35 AM

I can help you because I know some information about Puno. I have been living in Puno for more than 10 years.you can contact me , tnis is my msn DICKENS_845@hotmail.com Trust me.Besides I studied Tourism but I like to practice English.
    If you come to Puno, you won´t be able to eat ceviche this is my recommendation.You know little by little.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Lago Titicaca