Lago Titicaca Travel Answers

change location

one day trip tp copacabana

by hilelarkin Online Now May 19, 2011 at 10:53 PM

I will arrive to Puno (Juliaca) on Oct. 5, 15.00 PM, and depart on Oct. 8, 08.00 AM.
I plan to do the Uros boat tour on Oct. 6. As to the next day, I can either make the overstay on Armantani or just stay in Puno (beach day). I thought however, that there is a possibility to make a one day trip to Copacabana, either by bus, by rented car or otherwise. Any suggestions on this idea will be appreciated, together with reccommendation if the entire concept is more interesting that the overstay on Armantani.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo

Re: one day trip tp copacabana

by CatherineReichardt Online Now May 19, 2011 at 11:13 PM

Hi
    I don't know anything about your interests, but my initial reaction is that 2.5 days in Puno is more than enough, especially given the many other attractions that Peru has to offer. It's not a particularly attractive town, and there's not a lot for the tourist to do other than use it as a base to explore the lake. Regarding the 'beach' (and for fear of stating the obvious), at that altitude, both the air and water temperature are pretty chilly, so unless you have a polar bear in your ancestry, there will be little temptation to strip down to your swimming costume and take a dip!
    The Uros floating islands are moderately interesting, but won't keep you busy for more than a couple of hours. I would suggest that you take a day boat trip which combines the Uros Islands with Taquile, which is a natural island further out in the lake. Taquile is picturesque and a nice place to spend a couple of hours wandering around (there are a couple of pleasant restaurants and a craft centre) - just be prepared for a long, steep staircase up from the harbour where the boats moor to the village itself!
    I would then use your second day to explore other parts of the lake shore: we didn't get time to do this, but the guide books indicate that there are certainly some ruins in the area that might be worth a look. Usually I wouldn't recommend hiring a car in Peru as the roads are pretty hair raising, but maybe in the flat area around the lake, they may be a little safer: otherwise, I am sure that there are a number of tour operators that can help you out. In case you haven't done so, why don't you check out the Puno travel pages and see what other VT members have to say? In case you don't know how do do this, type Puno into the blue box in the top right hand corner of the screen and press 'Go'.
    Happy planning!
    Regards
    Cathy

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by CatherineReichardt Online Now May 20, 2011 at 12:34 AM

Hi
    For example, follow this link for travel tips on Puno: the necropolics (tomb complex) at Sillustani was what I would like to have done if we'd had more time, and there is a fairly recent recommendation (2010) for a tour operator who organises trips to this:
    Puno Things to Do
    Regards
    Cathy

• Re: one day trip tp copacabana

by hilelarkin Online Now May 20, 2011 at 9:46 PM

Catherine, thanks a lot for detailed response.

Hillel

by CatherineReichardt Online Now May 20, 2011 at 11:09 PM

My pleasure. If it was useful, then why not give it a 'thumbs up' (see icon below)?
    Regards
    Cathy

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Lago Titicaca