Lago Titicaca Travel Answers

change location
azf's Profile Photo

Best Place to Relax in the Titicaca Area

by azf Online Now Jun 26, 2010 at 2:04 PM

Hi,

I plan on spending a week or so in the Lake Titicaca area. Although I plan on spending a day or two exploring the area, I want to spend 3-5 days just taking a break from life and relaxing (e.g., in a hammock in some quiet area with a book). What is that place in the Titicaca area to just relax? I hear it's probably on the Bolivian side, but any more suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

-Alex

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Re: Best Place to Relax in the Titicaca Area

by ElDesierto Online Now Jun 26, 2010 at 9:19 PM

The place on the shore of Lake Titicaca that you are looking for (though you might have to bring your own hammock) is Copacabana. Copacabana is a good place to rest-up while planning your next move. It is a small, clean, quiet Aymara town close to the Bolivia - Peru border, on the south shore of Lake Titicaca. Not much to do there except to talk to the local people while sitting in the town plaza, drink beer with other travelers and take an excursion out to La Isla del Sol.

Buen Viaje,
    ElDesierto

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Odinnthor's Profile Photo

Re: Best Place to Relax in the Titicaca Area

by Odinnthor Online Now Jun 26, 2010 at 10:43 PM

Good choice above. I would however not miss the the floating Uros islands which are a must. Observing the "Sons of the Sun" or Lubihaques, the black blooded tribes and how they work with the totora plant to build the islands and their boats as well as being a food staple, - is quite the experience. Highly recommended.

By the way, they call themself 'black blooded as they claim they do not feel the cold which can at that altitute can be quite biting.

Know that the altitute at Titicaca is about 12 thousand feet, so hope you can climatize......

• thebestusernameever's Profile Photo

Re: Best Place to Relax in the Titicaca Area

by thebestusernameever Online Now Jul 16, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Isla del Sol on the Bolvian side of Lake Titicaca is beautiful and the perfect place to relax. You can travel here by boat from Copacabana it takes about 2.5hrs from memory. There are Inca remains on the island along with donkeys, friendly faces, lots of sunshine (hence the name) & no cars and limited electricity, you can take an easy walk from one end to the other in 1/2 a day (if you are feeling relaxed you can always catch a boat back rather than walking). Make sure you take cash with you, there are no cash machines on this island. Have a great time on your travels & check out www.southamericanbackpacker.com for further hints & tips.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Lago Titicaca