Lago Titicaca Travel Answers

change location
ddbleu's Profile Photo

Lake Titicaca or the Amazon?

by ddbleu Online Now Sep 3, 2008 at 10:50 AM

Hi, I'm planning a trip next Spring in May when I will do a 7-day cruise in the Galapagos, then planning to spend a few days in Peru. Of course I will visit Machu Pichu, then because of limited time and budget will have to choose between Lake Titicaca or the Amazon. I will have about two extra days in Peru to visit one of these spots. Any advice on which to choose? Also, I wlil be traveling alone. Thanks!

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • melosh's Profile Photo

Re: Lake Titicaca or the Amazon?

by melosh Online Now Sep 3, 2008 at 12:26 PM

First let me say that I hope you have planned enough time for Cuzco, MP and the Sacred Valley. You might do best using those 2 extra days for this area. Not only is there a lot to see and experience but you must also consider the high altitude that requires some adjustment and caution.

Considering travel time even using airlines, 2 days is not much time. I think that this is too little time for a Amazon jungle visit, so if you do have 2 days I think you would do best with a trip to Lake Titicaca and the islands.

Good luck. bob

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • kamatoula's Profile Photo

by kamatoula Online Now Sep 3, 2008 at 6:40 PM

this is a hard one@!!! but thats right, theres so much to do around cusco, i extended like 4 times haha!!!! so dont rush it, dont try to see too many things or ull flu past it. i suggest lake titicaca purely for the time reason aswell. if u can try tyo get to the bolivian side of the lake- copacabana, much nicer than the peruvian side! cheaper too! =)

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo

by easterntrekker Online Now Sep 3, 2008 at 7:52 PM

I have been to all of these places and they are truly amazing. I agree with the previous poster , allow enough time for Machu Pichu and Cusco. If you do have the time I think Lake Titicaca will be your best bet . You will definetly need more time for the Amazon.Here's alink to my pages on the if you want to have a look."A Lake far away" - Lago Titicaca by easterntrekker

• ddbleu's Profile Photo

by ddbleu Online Now Sep 3, 2008 at 11:20 PM

Thanks everyone, this is really helpful info. It's always hard to eliminate a place because I don't know when I'll get to come back to South America. There is just never enough time! But Lake Titicaca sounds like the best bet.

by easterntrekker Online Now Sep 4, 2008 at 6:24 AM

Hi

You asked how long the train would take from Cusco to Puno and it is 10 hours
    perurail.com/web/tper/journe... Here is the link . Its a long but fabulous trip. A good idea would be to fly back. You would have to get the bus to the airport but it would save you alot of time.

• LizSitka's Profile Photo

by LizSitka Online Now Sep 4, 2008 at 9:25 AM

If you aren't acclimated to the altitude Lake Titicaca is going to be dismal. It's really high; I spent two days in bed with a massive headache even with coca tea before I gave up and sought lower altitudes. I don't think you can do the Amazon in just two days, though, as a real trip will require extensive river travel. Even if you decide to spend the extra money and fly in closer you are very, very likely to have a problem with the air plane or the weather. If your connecting flights are vital then you shouldn't bank on flying. I know MP is a huge draw and I'm glad I went (it's way bigger than I thought but the real wonder is from the ruggedness of the topography) but my ten days in the Amazon was also amazing. If you are just flying into Baltra and flying out after the cruise you will miss the charm of the three "big" towns in the Galapagos. There are some very nice people to meet. You might want to consider staying as long as you can out there and seeing other parts of South American when you have more time. I had a seven day trip and an additional ten days in the Galapagos and wish I'd had more time. I doubt I'll be able to go back. Enjoy!

• ddbleu's Profile Photo

by ddbleu Online Now Sep 4, 2008 at 10:10 AM

That sounds like a great idea. I love trains and I'm sure the scenary would be fantastic along the way. Thanks again.

• ddbleu's Profile Photo

by ddbleu Online Now Sep 4, 2008 at 10:13 AM

I'm hoping by the time I get to Peru I will be somwhat accustomed to the altitude, as Quito is around 9,000 ft. I believe. I'll be in the Galapagos for 6 days, then going on to Peru for another 6 days, starting out in MP. I guess the Amazon will have to be a separate trip. It doesn't sound like a quick 2-day would be very satisfying or practical. Thanks.

by easterntrekker Online Now Sep 4, 2008 at 12:25 PM

Hi
    Yes Quito does help . Also you if you stay in Cusco on your way to Machu Pichu that helps . I found drinking tons of water really helped. There's no predicting who will be most bothered by altitude. Take it easy with lots of rests. The Galapagos is amazing too. They are truly trips of a life time.

• world_citizen's Profile Photo

by world_citizen Online Now Sep 7, 2008 at 4:35 AM

If you only have 2 days go to Titicaca - 2 days is nowhere near enough for heading to the jungle.

• ddbleu's Profile Photo

by ddbleu Online Now Sep 7, 2008 at 9:49 AM

Thanks, that's what I decided to do. All of the answers/comments are much appreciated!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Lago Titicaca