Lago Titicaca Travel Answers

change location

Boats and buses...

by austen1973 Online Now Apr 1, 2007 at 4:47 AM

Hi,
I intend to travel from Cuzco to lake Titicaca then to Isla Taquile and Amantani...from what I've seen in the guides, it looks like all the trips either Puno-Cuzco are done in the morning by bus...is this correct ? If not, which company bus does return in the afternoon ? Also, the boat rides to the islands are done early morning and not in the afternoon...do you have any idea if it's possible to rent a whole boat to get to the island as soon as I arrive in Puno as I don't want to stay onvernight in Puno...
many thanks !!!

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • nhoolb's Profile Photo

Re: Boats and buses...

by nhoolb Online Now Apr 1, 2007 at 9:02 AM

I seriously doubt you can do all that in one day.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Boats and buses...

by eavila Online Now Apr 2, 2007 at 8:13 PM

Hello,
    I agree, it is impossible.
    To travel Cusco - Puno (389 kilometers) there are two possibilities by bus:
    Collective bus (7 hours), daily service, it is recommendable to take the Imperial Class Bus.
    By tourist bus (1 day: daily departure 7:00 arrival 17:00) with stops and visits guided to Andahuaylillas (Sixtine Chapel of America), Raqchi (Temple of Wiracocha God), La Raya (Half point in the route Cusco - Puno), Pukará (oldest ceremonial center of the Altiplano).
    The daily service in the lake of local agencies is: Uros (3 hours), Uros - Taquile (1 day) and Uros - Amantani - Taquile (2 days), Overnight in Amantani.
    Also there is a private service at any time, but it is impossible to do everything in one day, mainly by the distances.

• thom123's Profile Photo

Re: Boats and buses...

by thom123 Online Now Apr 7, 2007 at 9:17 PM

You can't go back and forth between Cuzco and Puno on a bus in one day. It's far too long of a trip. I'd recommend the Cuzco-Puno tourist bus so that you can take a pleasant day's journey and see the sites along the way. These are all high quality places to visit--memorable and moving. Spend the night in Puno and head out for the islands in the morning. Take your time. You are in Peru, not Manhattan.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Lago Titicaca