La Spezia Travel Answers

change location

La Spezia to Chamonix

by C&G323 Online Now May 25, 2010 at 6:47 AM

I have been unable to find information on how I can get to Chamonix from La Spezia by train. Can somebody answer this? How long will it take and what website can I confirm schedules?

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

Re: La Spezia to Chamonix

by mccalpin Online Now May 25, 2010 at 7:56 AM

"You can't get there from here", you really can...I've just always wanted to say that ;-)

But it will be a gruesome, all day trip.

Normally, I recommend that people use the rail website of the starting this case, . And indeed, trenitalia does show three solutions: the shortest one being just over 18 hours with 4 changes. Yikes!

However, I also know that when it comes to international trips like this, that trenitalia has also been acting funny (they're in a dispute with some of the other rail companies so won't show their trains - bah!), so using trenitalia in this case won't always show you all options.

So go to the German rail website ( where you will see that there are options that take as little at 8 or 9 hours...still awful, huh?

You won't be able to get pricing, though, on the whole solution - you'll have to price each segment separately in the various national rail websites, or go through a travel agent (who will upcharge) like just go to the train station or visit a travel agent in La Spezia...

And since you're going to take all day to do this, you might as well take the advice given above and take the scenic route ;-)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines