La Spezia Travel Answers

change location

La Spezia to Chamonix

by C&G323 Online Now May 25, 2010 at 6:47 AM

I have been unable to find information on how I can get to Chamonix from La Spezia by train. Can somebody answer this? How long will it take and what website can I confirm schedules?

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

Re: La Spezia to Chamonix

by mccalpin Online Now May 25, 2010 at 7:56 AM

"You can't get there from here"...no, you really can...I've just always wanted to say that ;-)

But it will be a gruesome, all day trip.

Normally, I recommend that people use the rail website of the starting country...in this case, www.trenitalia.com . And indeed, trenitalia does show three solutions: the shortest one being just over 18 hours with 4 changes. Yikes!

However, I also know that when it comes to international trips like this, that trenitalia has also been acting funny (they're in a dispute with some of the other rail companies so won't show their trains - bah!), so using trenitalia in this case won't always show you all options.

So go to the German rail website (www.bahn.de) where you will see that there are options that take as little at 8 or 9 hours...still awful, huh?

You won't be able to get pricing, though, on the whole solution - you'll have to price each segment separately in the various national rail websites, or go through a travel agent (who will upcharge) like raileurope.com...or just go to the train station or visit a travel agent in La Spezia...

And since you're going to take all day to do this, you might as well take the advice given above and take the scenic route ;-)

Bill

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines