La Romana Travel Answers

change location
Sharon's Profile Photo

Diving Clubs

by Sharon Online Now Jun 19, 2003 at 1:56 AM

HI, Does anyone knows of a good Diving Center / club in La Romana area ? or in Catalina Island ? (isle Catalina ? sorry if im wrong with the name, not sure about it). Im Sure i can search on the web and find by my self, the thing is that i want to hear from people's experience and recomendatios of a good diving Clubs and spots in this area. If you know this diving centers do you know which divers license are acceptable there ? and one more thing, if those clubs are open on Sundays (i heard some clubs in The dominican Republic are not !) Thanks in Advance, S.

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • REYNALDOPICHARDO's Profile Photo

Re: Diving Clubs

by REYNALDOPICHARDO Online Now Jun 19, 2003 at 6:13 PM

Hi Sharon! I gave you some places to contact in the Dominican Republic, they are by far very good ones, as I work with them every time I go there I give them the top-notch training in the diving bus. I'm a Dive Master, with years of experience, currently I only dive for pleasure (don't we always), and leave the tech to others, but like I said before, the licenses avaliable in the Dom. Rep. for tourists to enjoy the coral reefs and many spots to hit, the PADI is the one avaliable, and they can do it in no time, as always there are many other certifications world wide like PADI: NAUI, BSAC, SSI, CMAS and diving instructors and a whole Alphabet soup to choose from! Not all certifications are the same, like some 30 years back, when the courses for certification required some 40 hours of practical training with a minimum of 4 open-water dives for all. Nowdays you can become a certified diver after a few hours of diving, and that doesn't means that it has become less safe or easier, but that instructors and the knowledge of so many divers before us, have given us a chance to teach others rather more efficiently, as well it doesn't mean they can go and dive by themselves whenever they choose to, people who take those quick certifications offered in most Hotels in the Dom. Rep. should always dive with an instructor or Dive Master like me, mostly because hardly any of them practice emergency procedures enough times to react properly on such event. All schools are equal in the technical procedures and teaching techniques, but not all instructors are the same, as well I can tell you that most of the diving accidents are the result of personal miscalculations and errors by the divers themselves. NEXT------------------------>>>>>>>>

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

Re: Re: Diving Clubs

by REYNALDOPICHARDO Online Now Jun 19, 2003 at 6:14 PM

FROM BEFORE------------>>>>>>>>> Unless you're looking to become a Master diver or instructor, then any Diving school you opt for in the Dom. Rep. will be just fine, as for Sundays, it's pretty much an optional thing from club to club, some do others don't, but those that do close, most of the teaching staff do actually hit the ocean on their time off, and you can pretty much find out while taking your training there!. The good spots are just as many as people who liked the place when they dived there, you'll get info posted in divers forums like: Depth: 14.5m. Bottom time 33 minutes. Visibility: 28+. Water temp 29oC. Boat dive, this will tell you most of what you need to hit that spot that someone found to be rather uncommon for them, you can get more spots recommende like this than people telling you with names of the places and that's it, like I said before you'll need at least one instructor or dive master to dive with you when going to the sea, for your own safety! I'm going back to the Dom. Rep. to live there on Nov of this year, maybe you and your friends will get to visit there after that time, and I will teach you all I can about diving in open sea as I know, It's hard to find people willing to spend sometime in a boat out to sea! LOL I hope this helps you! Arturo

• Sharon's Profile Photo

Diving Clubs / Centers

by Sharon Online Now Jun 20, 2003 at 8:24 AM

Hi Arturo, Thanks once again for all your help ! The reason im postingit once again is nit causeyour info isnt good enough, i just like to get more opinions. thats all. always good isnt it ? Anyway as i said before im asking that for my best friend and unfortunatelly not for my self :-( He will be there for business and the only time he will have for some plesure (diving) is sunday, thats why its critic ! The have licencce of PADI and CMAS, and that s an imoportant thing they have to know..whether the club they go to is accepting this BOTH license. Also first i asked about SD area and now they know that they will go to LaRomana area and IsleCatalina thats also a reason to get more opinions :-) However he's reading all your info and Many thanks in the name of both of us. S.

Re: Diving Clubs / Centers

by REYNALDOPICHARDO Online Now Jun 20, 2003 at 10:59 PM

They accept both of them as well!! I'm not mad or anything and I know you would like to get many other tips, I sure would like too!, But trust me on this one and tell your friend there're diving clubs all around the island, in La Romana, he can hit one in about any big resort there, and agree with them on a time-table to his needs. He can also check the posting boards in and around the marinas there, other divers post good sites to visit in those boards, and some may even post contact info, for those who would like to go diving with them as well. You can also get some good tips on diving there from the divers sites in the net, make sure you try the Pros, as they will give you a complete technical info on those spots as well, only thing I would tell him to do is to get a good wet-s since some of the coral reefs can be very sharp and cuts are hard to avoid! Have fun!!! Arturo

• Sharon's Profile Photo

Diving Clubs / Centers

by Sharon Online Now Jun 21, 2003 at 2:32 AM

Many Thanks once again, you're a real great help ! I have to remind him to take an under water camera ! i gotta see some of it as well... although obvuously its not nice as in real. S.

• Sharon's Profile Photo

Re: Diving Clubs / Centers

by Sharon Online Now Jul 8, 2003 at 2:02 PM

Hi Arturo, Just wanted to tell you that my friend called me a few min' ago from SD, he had an awesome dives in Near La Romana via mike's club ! They were great as you said and it was perfect. Many thanks. If you have anything else to recommend him in SD then feel free to tell me. (not diving). S.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines