La Rochelle Travel Answers

change location

safe car parking in La Rochelle

by BlackIsis Online Now May 27, 2012 at 8:39 AM

How safe is it to park a car on the street in the centre of La Rochelle?
5 mins from the old port area. Some items will have to be left on the back seat but can be covered.

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • ranger49's Profile Photo

Re: safe car parking in La Rochelle

by ranger49 Online Now May 27, 2012 at 9:29 AM

There is always a possibility that tourist cars will be targetted - recognised by another Department's or country's number plates, or the tell-tale signs of it being a hire car.
    I would prefer to look for an official paying carpark rather than street parking but if the latter is the only option - as busy a street as possible with plenty of pedestrian traffic too.
    I never leave anything of value in the car - covered or uncovered - and never things like electronics, cameras. sat-nav, mobile phone etc. My brother was obviously observed carefully locking his camera in the boot before we all went for lunch - it had gone when we returned, entry being made via a forced rear door.
    Better safe than sorry!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now May 27, 2012 at 9:38 AM

I too always use the car parks anywhere ,and I drive a lot around. However, in La Rochelle is ok just covered your items if possible under the seats or in the trunk of the car.Seats is a tentation for anyone anywhere.

hope it helps

• Re: safe car parking in La Rochelle

by BlackIsis Online Now May 28, 2012 at 7:04 AM

What I should have said was it will be overnight. I am aware of the usual precautions eg hiding things as much as possible and am very sensible but we will have to leave some stuff on the back seat, covered. Not too worried about the day time. What I was getting at is LR the sort of place where not much ever happens or is it a bit edgy like Marseille (for eg) Lovely ch d'hote I want to stay in doesnt have parking and I'm weighing up the risk. Thankyou.

• ranger49's Profile Photo

by ranger49 Online Now May 28, 2012 at 8:39 AM

Well - No - it can't really be compared with Marseille where these days there might in any case be guarded parking in the port area.
    But - if needs must leaving nothing of high or irreplaceable value in the car. Leave a French newspaper of that days date on the seat and hope for the best.
    I seem to remember an underground car aprk somewhere near the harbour - perhaps your hotel could advise about that possibility.
    We were short of time on our last trip so by passed La Rochelle having got hopelessly lost the previous time due to a weird one way traffic system - hopefully the signage will have improved but then even a Sat Nav with new mapping failed to work it out!

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now May 28, 2012 at 12:04 PM

La Rochelle is safer on my scale then Marseille,but I never had a problem in neither in m car travels,and my son study Restaurant serving as part of his school in La Rochelle, never a problem at nights there.
    You will be ok

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines