La Rochelle Travel Answers

change location
Drugness's Profile Photo

The U-Boot pens - Accessable?

by Drugness Online Now Nov 18, 2010 at 2:39 AM

Hello all

I'm planning to visit La Rochelle in about 3-4 months and i was wondering if it is possible to visit the U-Boot pens that still exist there or are they off limits?
Does anyone know of any tours available or is there possibly a museum attached? Or if either of these options aren't there, is there someone locally who has access or someone who i can contact?

Many thanks in advance
DG

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • ranger49's Profile Photo

Re: The U-Boot pens - Accessable?

by ranger49 Online Now Nov 18, 2010 at 2:53 AM

WE spent 3 weeks in the Crozon / Morgat area 2 years ago and they did not appear to be open then.
    We got some good photos of the Penns at Brest from the opposite coast near Landevennec.

I found this website from which it seems they were open in summer this year. It may be worth looking into though they may not be open for visitors in the winter months.
    http://www.uboat-bases.com/

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • cubsur's Profile Photo

by cubsur Online Now Nov 18, 2010 at 3:37 AM

I visited La Rochelle a few years ago when it was possible to walk almost right up to the U-boat pens. While I was taking pictures a German naval vessel made its way into harbour. I didn't get to go inside. It's still a working area and I am pretty certain there is no museum or tour.

• Drugness's Profile Photo

by Drugness Online Now Nov 18, 2010 at 2:16 PM

Great responses guys, thanks a million!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines