La Paz Travel Answers

change location

(Volunteer) work in La Paz

by habrie Online Now Nov 21, 2006 at 1:39 AM

(I've posted this in the 'La Paz Departamiento' forum before, but it didn't show up in 'La Paz' forum, so I'm posting it again. So apologies in case you've read this before.)

Hi all,

Early January I'm packing my bags (hurray!), leaving for Argentina, do some travel, and planning to get settled and work for half a year in La Paz, Bolivia from early February.

I am looking to do something in this line of work: community-building and enhancing the self-organisation of indigenous and other more vulnerable groups in society, helping out in contacting officials/municipal offices, etc. Generally trying to give those groups more of a voice and making them more aware of their rights and possibilities.

Maybe that is a bit ambitious for a half year volunteer stay. So, to make it less specific, I would say I 'would like to work with people'. Preferably grown-ups, not children.

Now, most offers I found come from international organizations that sell all-included packages for pretty high prices. I've traveled a whole string of countries in Central and South America already, and from experience I know there's usually a lot of on-the-spot work to be found where you either just work for free, or get a roof over your head and/or some meals included - not paying these fees.

Would anyone reading this have any experience finding volunteer work on your own in La Paz? And if so, could you provide me with some adresses, names, emails, websites, any other info of what you've been doing and how you found the experience?

As said before, I have more than a bit of traveling experience in the region and speak decent (not fluent) Spanish.

Thanks in advance,

Peter
habrie@xs4all.nl

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • brochitas's Profile Photo

RE: (Volunteer) work in La Paz

by brochitas Online Now Nov 28, 2006 at 6:52 AM

hi Habrie!
    I saw your post. I have some friends that work with people in La Paz in a place named Santiago de Ocola and they are trying to do some work with the villagers. But they do everything as volunteers; I mean, all of them have another job; From what I saw you just want to work in this so you expect to receive a salary, I guess?

Anyway, this link here is related to the projects of the Canadian Cooperation projects in bolivia:
    ceciamericas.org/?p=mostrar_...

Good luck!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines