La Jolla Travel Answers

change location

Nightlife in La Jolla

by jamjess Online Now Sep 4, 2012 at 6:12 PM

My 21 year old and I are headed to La Jolla next week. Wondering what anyone would recommend for some fun things in and around La Jolla. Looking for both nightlife and day activities.

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • we135b's Profile Photo

Re: Nightlife in La Jolla

by we135b Online Now Sep 4, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Try kayak tour in the bay.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • juliogg's Profile Photo

by juliogg Online Now Sep 5, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Tons of things to do in San Diego and many eats on prospect st, in La Jolla. Suggest you check out www.101sandiego.com its 101 things to do in San Diego.

• Usctwin's Profile Photo

by Usctwin Online Now Sep 5, 2012 at 1:37 PM

If you snorkel or scuba dive, you should check out doing either of these with Scuba San Diego. You can read my review here. "Scuba Diving La Jolla Cove" - La Jolla Things to Do Tip by Usctwin If you want to stay in La Jolla for dining and nighlife, as opposed to venture our to some of the surrounding neighborhoods, I would recommend checking out Georges at the Cove for dining and sunset watching and Prospect Bar and Grill for nightlife. If you're there on a Friday or Saturday, you should also pop in to La Valencia Hotel. Known as the Pink Lady, this beautiful, old fashioned hotel was known to be a hot spot for the Rat Pack back in the day. Fridays and Saturdays they often have live music either on the patio or in the main lobby bar. Due to sound restrictions, they start early and end early (generally 10:30 or 11).

• Re: Nightlife in La Jolla

by calithroughmylens Online Now Sep 5, 2012 at 3:23 PM

I am a huge fan of the Karl Strauss brewery and restaraunt there. I would also throw another thumbs up on the kayaking recommendation

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

by lmkluque Online Now Sep 6, 2012 at 7:11 AM

All good suggestions so far!

I'll add that La Jolla has lots of shopping and art galleries as well as some fancy nice and casual nice restaurants. La Jolla, in general appeals to the "older" crowd, but since UC San Diego is in La Jolla, there are a lot of things to attract the younger crowd also.

For something to do at night, you might try, The Grill at La Jolla Hotel on Friday and Saturday nights they have live music, Jazz and Big Band.

Characters Bar & Grill and The Blue Jewel at the Marriot in La Jolla offers dancing also.

I have given many ideas of what to see and do in La Jolla Village and La Jolla Shores that might inspire you and your daughter. You can find them here.

"La Jolla---The Jewel Of San Diego!" - La Jolla by lmkluque

by sdcatraveler Online Now Sep 8, 2012 at 9:42 PM

I went to UCSD, so lived there for 4 years. La Jolla is more along the lines of an older/professional crowd as well as a touristy area. So, for nightlife there are some excellent sit down types of restaurants, but not bars or music/rock venues. Driving down to Pacific Beach may be better if that is what your son is looking for.

Kayaking and snorkeling/scuba diving are great ideas. Another idea is to drive down to Bird Rock area of La Jolla and go tide pooling. Actually, I like the small shops in the Bird Rock area which you encounter driving from the main La Jolla Village area to Pacific Beach. They are more quaint and less commercial. If you're in the Village area, there are many places to eat and also a Contemporary Museum. Also, don't miss watching the seals at the La Jolla Cove (if you can get a parking place). A great beach if you like to swim is La Jolla Shores.

Having Brunch at the La Jolla cove area is also a great idea.

Another great idea is to go to the Torrey Pines Gliderport to watch people hang glide. sandiegofreeflight.com/jm170...

Last, I would definitely suggest taking a hike on a few of the trails in Torrey Pines State Park, which has great views. Also, if you are into golfing, there is the Torrey Pines Golf Course as well. Also, a short drive up north along the coast to Del Mar, Encinitas, Carlsbad and Solana Beach are great day trip ideas.

by sdcatraveler Online Now Sep 8, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Forgot to mention that the Reader is a good place to find coupons and ideas of what things are happening in San Diego.

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines