La Jolla Travel Answers

change location
glolove's Profile Photo

hows the weather???

by glolove Online Now Aug 17, 2009 at 3:14 PM

Hello out there!
My family & I currently reside in South Dakota, soon we'll be relocating to Southern California. We're used to having snow for Christmas, usually from late Oct early November until as late as March & even into April. Whats the weather like there during those months? I've lived in North Dakota, my opinion is extremely frigid, only tha tough survive that place! I survived 2 yrs & left, why put up with THAT kind of cold? (-90 with wind chill factor) I've also lived in Phoenix, Az where its extremely hot. We live a few miles from Mt.Rushmore, the winters & summers are tolerable, usually August is the worst with 95-102 degrees & January being the coldest month, usually 25-30 degrees. I'm curious of the temperature from Oct-April...Thanks for any information!

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • brotherleelove's Profile Photo

Re: hows the weather???

by brotherleelove Online Now Aug 17, 2009 at 3:31 PM

You can see the weather history for December 25, 3008 in La Jolla here: http://tinyurl.com/qsrbkj

Change the date to see any other history.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • ricky52's Profile Photo

by ricky52 Online Now Aug 17, 2009 at 4:31 PM

Due to extreme climatic changes the World is experiencing at the moment, trying to predict the weather can be difficult because of local, on the day variations.
    Most places now are seeing weather conditions well outside the norm.
    The information below should be used as a guide only.

Here is the average weather for La Jolla for this time of year.
    Enjoy your holiday.

October.
    High 76f / 24c
    Low 57f / 14c
    Rain 0.30in / 8.0mm
    Rain days 2
    Hours of sun 8
    Daylight hours 11
    UV level 6 = High
    Humidity = None
    Sea temp 67f / 19c

November.
    High 71f / 22c
    Low 51f / 10c
    Rain 1.30in / 33.0mm
    Rain days 4
    Hours of sun 8
    Daylight hours 10
    UV level 4 = Moderate
    Humidity = None
    Sea temp 64f / 18c

December.
    High 66f / 19c
    Low 46f / 8c
    Rain 1.50in / 37.0mm
    Rain days 5
    Hours of sun 8
    Daylight hours 10
    UV level 3 = Moderate
    Humidity = Frost may occur in December
    Sea temp 60f / 16c

January.
    High 65f / 19c
    Low 45f / 7c
    Rain 2.10in / 53.0mm
    Rain days 5
    Hours of sun 8
    Daylight hours 10
    UV level 3 = Moderate
    Humidity = Frost may occur in January
    Sea temp 59f / 15c

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

by lmkluque Online Now Aug 18, 2009 at 6:26 AM

The weather in Southern California, specifically San Diego, varies depending upon the area you are in, Coastal, Inland, Mountains and Desert.

Despite predictions about global heating, this part of the state hasn't seemed to have changed much, at all, over the years.

A general answer to your question, has been for many years, the same as it would be today, the weather in San Diego--the City and County that La Jolla is located in--is mild all year long. Winters not too cold. Summers not too hot.

La Jolla is a coastal community and by late October, the summer heat drops down from the high 70's to about mid 60's during the day and low 50's at night on average. Between October and April this can go a bit lower, some days much higher. The average winter pattern is sunny and cool to sunny and warm with a few days of rain. A big rain storm usually comes in during the night, lasts two or three days and then moves out again, but that is not often.

If it is snow you want for Christmas, you can go up the mountains, Julian is a cute little town. They usually have some snow by Christmas, but nothing that lasts too long.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines