La Jolla Travel Answers

change location
jcims's Profile Photo

Looking for any recommendations for vacation home in La Jolla

by jcims Online Now Mar 31, 2008 at 4:57 PM

Hi There,

I'm a little cornfused with the new (?) layout of VT, so apologies if this is a tired question or has been asked recently.

We're a family of four with two smallish children, looking for a place to stay the third week of July 2008. We're looking at La Jolla because it seems to be quiet and quaint (based on what we've read anyway) and close enough to fun stuff.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a small vacation home ($2K/wk) that are within walking distance to a reasonably safe beach? Or, if no direct recommendations, a pointer to a reputable vacation rental place that will either take care of us or at least provide good recommendations?

Of course, if you think this Ohioan is barking up the wrong tree or just ignorant, feel free to let me know. I'd rather learn now than later...haha!

Thanks

Bob

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Jamesr3939's Profile Photo

Re: Looking for any recommendations for vacation home in La Jolla

by Jamesr3939 Online Now Mar 31, 2008 at 5:06 PM

Try www.vrbo.com We have used them for Maui and it worked great.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • nomad7890's Profile Photo

by nomad7890 Online Now Mar 31, 2008 at 6:00 PM

Perhaps craigslist for the La Jolla area would help ... here's the San Diego link for sublets/temporary. Enter "La Jolla" in the search.

This is like dealing with regular classifieds so it is important to exercise caution and due diligence checking ... having said that, I did find excellent tenants for the home I had in San Jose via CL. All the best!

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/sub/

• HarmoniousBotch's Profile Photo

by HarmoniousBotch Online Now Mar 31, 2008 at 6:56 PM

What kind of 'safe' beach do you mean? Are you concerned about people, big waves, sharks, jellyfish?

People: All of the La Jolla beaches are safe, as best I know.
    Waves: in July, almost all beaches in southern California will have small waves. Black's may have the biggest if there is a swell from the west.
    Sharks: I've heard sightings of young ( 6 ft ) great whites around Boomer Beach in the past year.
    Jellyfish: The black jellyfish that were a problem in late 2007 appear to have gone away.

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

by lmkluque Online Now Apr 1, 2008 at 8:43 AM

Two thousand a week seems pretty reasonable, but La Jolla isn't known for vacation home rentals. That's not to say you won't be able to find one, but it won't be easy.

Pacific Beach, the community just south of La Jolla, is better known to offer vacation rentals on the beach which are on and very near the beach. Though, these are most popular with college students "out for the summer," I dare say, families with smallish children rent these places as well.

I have a few rental suggestions on my Ocean Beach page and though this is a "hippy-ish" type beach community, south of La Jolla, Pacific Beach and Mission Beach, it is basically calm and not as price-y.

A few miles north, up the coast from La Jolla, in Carlsbad, there are some pretty convenient, fully furnished apartment type rentals that are located right along the beach, which might be in your price range.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines