change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• kmalson's Profile Photo

May 27th private van tour of Carthage, Sidi Abu Said and the Tunis Medina

Tunis Yesterday

Is anyone planning to visit Tunis on May 27th, 2014 by cruise ship and looking for a private tour? I found a good one by a very reputable tour guide which can accomodate up to 8 passengers for only $295.00 total in US dollars. My husband and I can't afford $295.00 on our own but the guide said we can split that 6 ways which would make the tour very cheap indeed. We will be in port from 8:00AM to 3:00PM so will have to move at a fairly good pace but at least we can be a lot quicker than the slow paced giant tour buses which take close to 1/2 hour just to load and unload at each site. The guide has 30 years experienced and is a licensed tour guide. I've read great recommendations about him. He would describe in detail the history of each site and make it worthwhile to visit. I told him our emphasis is on history, art, culture and architecture and not for the purpose of shopping. If you want to shop, take the ship's shore excursions. If you are interested in this tour please reply. Thanks! I'm at my wits end to find a better way to see all the sights in 5 1/2 hours.

more
    • Has anyone visited Tataouine recently?

Tunisia Apr 13, 2014 at 7:36 AM

Has anyone visited Tataouine recently? I would love to visit the ksours and villages (Chenini etc) in the surrounding area but I noticed this area as named in the 'avoid all non-essential travel' warming from the British FCO. Should we be concerned about this warning? When I posted a question on another forum recently someone replied that this area is dangerous and there have been a lot of riots recently but searching the internet I've failed to find anything about riots (expect back in January). I also noticed that other governments (Australia, New Zealand, US, Canada) don't specifically mention places like Tataouine, Douz and Ksar Ghilane in their warnings but rather just border area with Algeria and Libya and Tataouine doesn't seem that close to these borders.

If we do decide to visit would you recommend travelling there independently and hiring a taxi to visit surrounding areas or combining it into a longer 4WD trip from Touzier or Matmata?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

more
    • taxi fares

Gouvernorat de Mahdia Mar 26, 2014 at 5:13 AM

How much is a taxi to mahdia from riu el mansour

more
    • shuttle buses from airport

Sousse Apr 21, 2014 at 12:24 PM

do the local shuttles buses from the airport take you to your hotel or do they drop you off in sousse town?

more
    • WEATHER IN TUNISIA IN MAY

Tunisia Apr 9, 2014 at 11:57 PM

hI,
      Does anyone know what's the weather like in Tunisia in late May? I'm travelling to Hammamet in 21st May. Is it hot enough to do sunbathe and spend a day at the beach???
      Tnx!

more

La Goulette, Tunis

Tunis Yesterday

Has anyone arrived by cruise ship lately into the port of La Goulette? Is there a tourist office there? Is there a money exchange? What about an ATM (Bankomat) machine? We only have a few hours in port (7) and don't want to waste precious time searching about to exchange money before sight seeing.

more

Carthage, Sidi Abu Said & Tunis Medina all in 5 1/2 hours?

Tunis Yesterday

My husband and I will be in port for only 7 hours and really want to visit Carthage most of all but we would also like to visit Sidi Abu Said and the Medina just for the architecture, views, culture and ambiance, not to go shopping. It's a lot to do in one day and for that reason we don't think that the train will work for us. Also, we would need Dinars for the train. We hate cruise ship excursions with 45 other passengers being herded like cattle. We have always toured independently. Would you recommend hiring a taxi to take us everywhere or finding a local guide? Do taxis and local guides accept Eruos or credit cards? I'm usually really good at planning our independent travel and have spent over a week already researching Tunis with no positive answers. If we had to cut one place, which would you recommend cutting? Carthage is a must. Are we being foolish by cutting out the Bardo Museum? It sounds wonderful but just impossible with everything else. This is really tough. We both love history and don't care much for touristy places if that helps.

more

Near La Goulette

• trip from La Goulette

by tfrwloo Online Now Jul 31, 2004 at 1:48 PM

I will be arriving in La Goulette by cruise ship. How easy is it to get to Tunis or Carthage on one's own, not doing a shore excursion from the ship. Are there problems for women travelling alone?

6 Answers Aug 8, 2004 at 4:35 PM