Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• kayenewland's Profile Photo

Altitude Sickness

Kyrgyzstan Jun 8, 2014 at 10:19 PM

Hi,
      I am travelling to Kyrgyzstan next month on an organised tour, we are heading up to just over 3000t metres, via the torugart pass to tash rabat
      Will AMS be an issue, or am I just being a little over cautious?
      thanks
      Kaye

7 Answers Jun 15, 2014 at 10:00 PM
    • Clubs in Bishkek?

Bishkek Jun 1, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Hello, all! Does anyone know an interesting club (arts, sports, dancing) you can join in Bishkek for a two week stay?

Thank-you,

• travel to issyk kul

Bishkek May 28, 2014 at 9:43 PM

hii
      i am a indian student studying in bishkek. how to travel to issyk kul lake from bishkek?can you help please.

1 Answer Jun 1, 2014 at 11:13 AM
    • Rienne's Profile Photo

Backpacking Group tour operator for Central Asia

Kyrgyzstan Apr 4, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Hey guys

I am planning to visit the Central Asia this summer (probably Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan and Kazakhstan) and was looking for a tour operator that offers backpacking tours for groups (i.e. for individuals to travel together, and not for already existing groups that plan a trip together).

I have traveled like this before and loved the spirit of the group of like-minded travelers from all over the world that I shared my experiences with as well as the fact that I could enjoy the trip, instead of wasting my time organizing accomodation or transportation (so please don't come up with the recommendation that I should travel there on my own ;)).

I am 25 years old and looking for a tour where people are around my age. The trip should be a broad mixture of activities and should visit the big cities as well as some hidden spots.

Has anyone already done a trip like this or can suggest any operators that provide such group tours?

I am thankful for any advice!

2 Answers Jun 15, 2014 at 9:56 PM
    • bertioga's Profile Photo

Bishkek and . . . ? ? ?

Kyrgyzstan Mar 19, 2014 at 6:58 AM

Hi
      In late April I will be flying into Bishkek and flying out after only 6 days.
      I am a 65 year-old male and have a bad leg; so no trekking for me except for bazaars and lakeshore.
      Further, I am a teacher, so I travel on a small budget.
      I am considering getting out of Bishkek; the obvious options seem to be:
      1) Karakol and/or Balykchy (I would enjoy walking on the lakeshore)
      or
      2) Osh and/or Jalal Abad
      or
      ??
      Thank you for any suggestions

4 Answers Jun 3, 2014 at 10:44 AM
    • bisbj's Profile Photo

Skiing from Bishkek 2014

Bishkek Feb 7, 2014 at 3:19 AM

I am working in Bishkek and interested in going skiing on the weekends; either for one or two days. The cheapest way is to go to the closest resorts with a local operator, where you can get an all-inclusive package for 1,500 Som ($30) covering transport, ski rental and lift ticket. I have not yet managed to test this, as they have vehicle issues...

Better resorts are about 100 km away and one can get 4WD transport for the day for $85. The car can take up to 4 passengers; there would be additional costs for a lift pass (around 600 Som) and ski rental (600 Som).

If you are interested in sharing transport on any of the following days: 15-16/2; 22-23/2; 1-2/3; or 8-9/3; send an email to bisbjerg at attglobal.net

• jwilson7020's Profile Photo

Visiting practices - Kyrgyzstan

Kyrgyzstan Jan 8, 2014 at 10:56 AM

1) When visiting or beginning a face to face business engagement how should the conversations proceed?
      2) When is the appropriate part of visit to bring up business? Does one bring up the matters right away, or is it customary to talk about non-business related matters to break the ice or conclude the business meeting?
      3) What is the attitude, rate, pitch, and tone usually found in a business engagement in Kyrgyzstan?

2 Answers Jan 8, 2014 at 1:57 PM
    • jwilson7020's Profile Photo

Greeting Customs?

Kyrgyzstan Jan 8, 2014 at 10:51 AM

What are some distinctive approaches for greetings a westerner should be aware of?.
      How does one giving and receiving compliments when greeting a Kyrgyz or other resident?
      When/How does one take their leave and bid farewell?

• jorjchoi's Profile Photo

Who wants to be Nomads?

Bishkek Dec 23, 2013 at 7:52 AM

Hi, everyone.

Thread title is irrelevant, by the way. LOL.

Real Questions are:
      1. What's the better option for a lone traveler like me who wants to travel in Kyrgyzstan for a month - Do it Yourself or a tour company? (Should be budget wise as i'm as poor as a lone tree in the desert).
      2. Is it fine if I travel first to Kazakhstan then overland to Bishkek?
      3. Wanna go with me?

6 Answers Jan 1, 2014 at 8:05 AM
    • Can i renew or extend 60day tourist visa?

Kyrgyzstan Nov 6, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Im coming to bishkek on a 60day tourist visa from the Uk. I may like to stay longer. I heard I need to go to almaty to get new visa. Any advice?

3 Answers Apr 17, 2014 at 9:42 PM
    • Traveller-65's Profile Photo

Edelweiss Travel Company

Kyrgyzstan Oct 7, 2013 at 4:08 AM

Doens anyone have experience with this company from Kyrgyzstan?? Their website is down so I don't know if they are still in bussiness.
      I'm looking for a way go get around the country and as public transport and guesthouses are not wide spread I thought maybe Edelweiss is an option.

4 Answers Apr 17, 2014 at 9:45 PM
    • Any hostels for backpackers in Batken?

Kyrgyzstan Aug 15, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Morning!

I am coming over to Batken, from Isfara, Tajikistan, and would like to stay a nigh or two.

Has anyone stayed in the city? Where, how much and how was your experience?

Thanks,

• henri123's Profile Photo

torugart pass

Kyrgyzstan Jul 16, 2013 at 11:09 AM

is it permitted to cross the torugart pass on a local bus leaving Bishkek?
      what is the frequency of that bus?
      i am canadian

5 Answers Jul 20, 2013 at 9:28 AM
    • nikoskaps's Profile Photo

Where to go for mountain trekking and also to enjoy village and nomad life, yurts?

Kyrgyzstan Jul 14, 2013 at 2:49 AM

Hi out there!
      We will visit Kyrgyzstan by end of August (3 people), and try to make an itinerary for trekking(s), at altitudes about 2.000-4.000m around the mountains of lake Isyk kul (but not planning for ice climbing, crampons, axes etc. that would be beyond our limit!)
      Our aim is to combine hiking with enjoying nature and village life of Kyrgyz people, and also, to avoid sleeping in tents, for escaping the cold of the night (so, better staying in a house/ shelter/ yurt), and avoid carrying too much weight.
      Enjoying the rural and nomad kind of life, sounds very interesting for Kyrgyzstan!
      It could be 2-3 separate trekkings, too, just a few days each, e.g. 2-4 days each, or one week long trek and daytrips here and there. We are definately flexible, first priority is to enjoy the most, the real side of the country.
      We plan to visit cities and villages by the lake, too, and move by public transport between them all (and keep budget low).
      So, could you recommend some areas to do that kind of trekking, either independently or with guide?
      All ideas are very welcomed guys!
      many thanks
      Nikolaos

3 Answers Apr 17, 2014 at 10:10 PM
    • nikoskaps's Profile Photo

Recommendations for 3-4 week low budget backpacker trip into nature-culture?

Kyrgyzstan Jun 22, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Hi there! Just starting to organize an upcoming trip to Kyrgyzstan this September, in quest of beautiful spots in nature, culture, villages, rural life, walk around as much as possible, hike (low/medium altitude) mountains…
      At which places of Kyrgyzstan do you think, should we focus plans, in order to venture around nice areas without spending too much?
      Our budget seems a little limited, maybe could work (?) lets say around 30euro /40$ / 200 som pppd, due to recent financial limitations…
      The luxurious travel agencies - package tours are totally out of the question…
      But sharing occasionally a car with others, or using backpacker-friendly agencies sometimes to ease some parts, transfer between remote places, could be within budget limits hopefully.We will be a group of 2 or 3 friends, speaking just English (and Greek!)
      Any suggestions and experiences about such areas and budget-wise tips, are a big big help to us.
      Many thanks in advance!!
      All the best!
      Nikolaos

4 Answers Jun 25, 2013 at 2:10 AM
    • How safe is it to travel alone?

Kyrgyzstan May 19, 2013 at 5:51 PM

I'm considering Kyrgyzstan for 2 weeks. I would love to get out into the nature, do some trekking, horse riding, cycling and relaxing!
      I am concerned about level of safety as a lone female traveller. Actually, not just as a lone female, but in general. Is Kyrgystan safe at the moment? friends and family are advising me against going.
      I am happy to go on a tour, but they all seem to have only one activity. Does anyone knowy of any tour companies that are multi activity?

2 Answers May 26, 2013 at 3:59 PM
    • mosh929's Profile Photo

Traveling Partner to Kyrgyztan

Kyrgyzstan Feb 23, 2013 at 7:35 AM

Greeting everyone,

I am a US citizen planning a trip to Kyrgyztan for the month of May.

Anyone want to join me?

3 Answers Mar 24, 2014 at 2:53 AM
    • GIPA's Profile Photo

LETTER OF INVITATION TO KYRGYZSTAN

Bishkek Dec 18, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Please , anyone could explain me how does it function?
      I am brazilian.
      Thanks in advance.
      GIPA

5 Answers Mar 25, 2013 at 11:24 PM
    • pgonsa's Profile Photo

From Bishkek to Beijing

Kyrgyzstan Aug 13, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Hello
      I'm planning to go by land from Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan to Beijing, China. Does anyone here has done this or part of it? Does anybody know if I can cross the border to China there?
      Thank you!

8 Answers Oct 31, 2013 at 8:23 AM
    • Kyrgyzstan: buying a motorbike?

Kyrgyzstan May 17, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Hey,

Can I buy a scooter in Kyrgyzstan and cross the border with Tajikistan? What would I need?

Can I registered it on my name? I hoping to get to Uzbekistan with it as well.

Thank you for reading... Any help will be welcome.

Thank you for reading,

Or1020@gmail.com

• ITMC Reviews required

Kyrgyzstan May 16, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Hi All,
      I am thinking about booking a trek with

ITMC Adventure and Culture Travel

Has anyone used them before and can offer me their opinion?
      Would be appreciated,
      Jim.

• Weather in June?

Gorod Bishkek May 14, 2012 at 7:26 AM

Hello,

I am going to work in Bishkek the whole month of June. What is the weather like? Is it blistering hot or do I need a jacket? With draconian restrictions on baggage, what do I absolutely need to take and what can I buy there?

Any info is appreciated.
      THANKS!

1 Answer May 14, 2012 at 8:06 AM
    • Traveling south of Bishkek early March - What not to miss?

Bishkek Jan 19, 2012 at 4:48 AM

I have two days to get from Bishkek airport to Suusamir (down on the M41, close to the junction left to Kochor) and I am looking for an overnight stay in the mountains on the way down there. I need to cross the Too Ashuu pass in possibly wintery conditions so I would be interested in suggestions for a pretty village to try to stay in for the night. All tips welcome.

3 Answers Jan 21, 2012 at 4:35 AM
    • Tours or go it alone...?

Kyrgyzstan Oct 28, 2011 at 2:30 AM

Myself and my wife are considering combining Kyrgystan and Uzbekistan in a two week plus trip in the summer of 2012. We are well experianced travellers but I find when you have a short window it is best to take an organised tour...? Can someone please help me with the following questions:

- recommended tour companies that cover Kyrgystan and Uzbekistan
      - the reliability of public transport in Kyrgystan and Uzbekistan
      - the safety of internal flights
      - the daily cost of travelling in both Kyrgystan and Uzbekistan, e.g. food, hotel 3-4 star, travel and a few cold beers after a days travelling.

Thank you in advance

Hennessy

5 Answers May 7, 2013 at 6:46 PM
    • Road Bishkek - Osh November, back in december - too dangerous?

Osh Oct 24, 2011 at 6:09 AM

Hello,

I'm going to alai valley on the 10th ov November from Bishkek, back to Bishkek around 4th of December, is it too dangerous to take the Bishkek- Osh road for this? I have heard there are slippery roads and avalanches.

And, how cold is it? Anyone knows hos cold it gets in Alai Valley?

Guro from Norway

• Hi I will be going to Bishkek on the 26th DEC and need a place to stay.

Bishkek Oct 12, 2011 at 8:20 AM

Can someone pls tell me what price to expect for a apartment for 2 weeks? In the city .

• Living costs in Bishkek

Bishkek Sep 5, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Hi! I am moving to Bishkek in a week, I will be working there for about 6 months. I was wondering if you can tell me sth about the living costs in Bishkek: how much does it cost to rent a flat, food prices, is going out expensive etc. Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks,

Rebeca

2 Answers Sep 14, 2011 at 4:20 AM
    • MASHK's Profile Photo

from Almaty to Bishkek

Bishkek Sep 5, 2011 at 1:05 AM

Dear friends
      my destination is Almaty and I'm thinking to go Bishkek with train ,can I do it or not?and what about the time and cost?thanks

3 Answers Sep 5, 2011 at 1:34 AM
    • peace_prevails's Profile Photo

Saimaluu Tash in July and 2 nights stay

Kyrgyzstan Jun 1, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Saimaluu Tash in July and 2 nights stay

I have a couple of passions and one of them is ancient spiritual and shamanistic sites, especially those with rock art and thanks to CentralAsia_Traveler (CAT) on Lonely Planet ThornTree, I've found a great one called Saimaluu - Tash .

I have a few questions for my intended journey to this ancient place in early-mid July on my way through Naryn-Kazarman-Jalal-Abad-Osh trail.

First, here is what I know:
      -It is a difficult and off-the-path place (intriguing).
      -It is likely only accessible in July/August.
      -It probably reuires a guide, although I've found those that seem to have done it on their own, including this pair who did it in the 'off season'.
      -CBT is one option for guides (I've written them but no reply).

Now, questions...
      1. I'd like to rent horses to haul gear and perhaps spend TWO nights up top, just meditating, photographing, and sketching the petroglyphs. Would this be possible? Where can I rent tents/bags or will I have to bring along my own?
      2. After my journey to Osh, are there flights from Osh back to Almaty (where I fly out of) or at least back to Bishkek? Or should I fly out of Jalal-Abad?
      3. When up at the site, I've heard that 'many are fake'. Is this true? If so, will my guide be able to tell which are real? Would I be able to do so?
      4. Would this journey, under any circumstance, be possible to do by myself on foot if dropped at the base of the trail i.e. is it well marked?
      5. Can anyone reccommend some specific guides that are still running this route out of CBT (most posts were 4+ years old that mentioned specific guides).
      6. Are there any other 'similar' sites utilized by shamans in southern KZ or south/central KG? (I understand that there is one on a cliff side near Osh).

Thank you!!!

Jeff.

1 Answer Jun 2, 2011 at 4:54 AM
    • peace_prevails's Profile Photo

The 7 Ones ... burrowing down into the Kyrg culture.

Kyrgyzstan May 17, 2011 at 6:27 AM

The 7 Ones...

This is Jeff from Texas. I'm coming to Kyrgyzstan the first and second weeks of July and one thing I always try to do is get educated on the local scene, the people and the places before arriving: what I call 'the seven ones'. If any of you could give me just one little answer for any or all of the below - your favorites – Kyrgyzstan.

1. ONE Book... something that has soul or historical pieces.

2. ONE Song... any Kyrgyzstan artists that I could find on YouTube, iTunes or even buy a CD of off of Amazon otherwise. Also, if there is a particular genre or ethnic type of music that is interesting that would be great.

3. ONE Drink... what the locals and indigenous Kyrgyzstan peoples drink. I always like to try the local ‘moonshine’ if it is an area where the locals drink alcohol. Something made from grain

4. A Dish... a local, traditional meal or food.

5. A Word/Phrase... a greeting, or something unique to Kyrgyzstan in general.

6. A bit of news... what is going on in Kyrgyzstan lately. Local/national items that have been in the news.

7. A little-known place or thing to do... a place off the path where one can get a real feel for the culture (small town, small club in Salvador, good music place, etc)

I am compiling the sheet here if anyone is interested in the same thread:
      docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0A...

Cheers,

Jeff

2 Answers May 20, 2011 at 11:20 AM