Kyrgyzstan Travel Answers

change location

Tours or go it alone...?

by hennessy_ca Online Now Oct 28, 2011 at 2:30 AM

Myself and my wife are considering combining Kyrgystan and Uzbekistan in a two week plus trip in the summer of 2012. We are well experianced travellers but I find when you have a short window it is best to take an organised tour...? Can someone please help me with the following questions:

- recommended tour companies that cover Kyrgystan and Uzbekistan
- the reliability of public transport in Kyrgystan and Uzbekistan
- the safety of internal flights
- the daily cost of travelling in both Kyrgystan and Uzbekistan, e.g. food, hotel 3-4 star, travel and a few cold beers after a days travelling.

Thank you in advance

Hennessy

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Fluffy_bunny's Profile Photo

Re: Tours or go it alone...?

by Fluffy_bunny Online Now Oct 28, 2011 at 5:06 AM

Go it alone. In 2 weeks, you won't be going anywhere off the beaten track and transport and accommodation is easy in the major Uzbek tourist sites.

If you want some inside help for homestays/yurt stays in Kyrgyzstan try CBT.
    http://www.cbtkyrgyzstan.kg/

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • emahlie's Profile Photo

by emahlie Online Now May 7, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Hi Fluffy Bunny, I would love some advice on Kyrgyzstan. I have got it into my head that I want to go - but not sure on a few things. Mainly - do I need to be a super good hiker in order to go? (I'm not bad but not amazing either). How long would you recommend visiting for to get a good sense of the place. And any all around tips?

thanks

by Fluffy_bunny Online Now May 7, 2013 at 6:22 PM

There are some tough treks, but nothing super-hard. I'm a lazy, beer-guzzling pothead, and i managed just fine :)

As for how to do it, there is a local organization i mentioned called Community Based Tourism (CBT). They can organize anything from excellent home-stays to transport to horses to whatever. I wouldn't use them for home-stays in Bishkek or Osh as they're overpriced, but everything else is fine.

How long? I lived in Kyrgyzstan for 6 months and only scratched the surface. Some travellers merely transit the country on their way from Uzbekistan to China. It depends on you and your personal ability to connect with locals, or to just hangout in expat bars and western youth hostels.

Culturally speaking, it's the most interesting country in Central Asia. But historically or architecturally it pales in comparison to Uzbekistan or even Kazakhstan.

1 member found this helpful

• emahlie's Profile Photo

by emahlie Online Now May 7, 2013 at 6:30 PM

That's very helpful thank you! I probably wont be spending a lot of time in the 'Stan' region -maybe just two weeks. And for some reason Krygyzstan just got on my brain. Would you recommend Kazakhstan or Uzbekistan as an alternative intro to the area (there's always a next time!)? Western backpackers not really my cup of tea - think K attracted me as read somewhere it wasnt hard to connect with the local culture....

by Fluffy_bunny Online Now May 7, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Kazakhstan is easily my least favourite country in the region. It is the least culturally intact. It is super expensive and doesn't really have any sites of note.

Uzbekistan is cheap as chips, has big ticket sites to see and has the best food in the region.

1 member found this helpful

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Kyrgyzstan Travel Answer Locations