Kyrenia Travel Answers

change location
petrkar's Profile Photo

Asking for tips from experienced...

by petrkar Online Now Jul 26, 2005 at 9:23 AM

We booked stay in Acapulco resort 8km from Kyrenia for this september. We choosed the north Cyprus hoping that touristic 'heavy-industry' doesn't touched it too irreconcilably. Nevertheless, we would like to have some information how to travel from that place (which appears to be remote spot, may be rather the sort of "touristic ghetto") to the Kyrenia, at least. We would prefer local public transportation, but we plan also to hire car for one/two days, if it is not too complicated or too expensive. Any advices (not only covering transportation) will be greatly appreciated!

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • RE: Asking for tips from experienced...

by elvis34 Online Now Jul 29, 2005 at 11:08 AM

HI sorry i cant say i am experienced about cyprus but we are going to be in kyrenia , the first two weeks in september ,and i dont know if you have been on the northern cyprus toursist board web sight they give a lot of imformation about car hire local bus service etc. i understand there is a bus running along the coast every couple of hours. but how reliable i dont know , we have booked acar with alocal firm birdrentacar they are very helpful ,even arranging transport from larnaca for us . i have been told that northern cyprus is not to touristy yet , but dont know if that is true . maybe we will see you there if you see an english man with 3 women mother wife and sister it could me ! hope this info is some use to you and i hope you have anice holiday dave .

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: RE: Asking for tips from experienced...

by carlton335 Online Now Aug 1, 2005 at 12:01 AM

Acapulco is not representative of North Cyprus. Where as the country is generally low key and peaceful, Acapulco is rather loud and trashy. If you are looking for good restaurants, however, there are several a short drive away also to the East of Kyrenia. ( Le Jardin, which is usually excellent but pricey, the Courtyard which is very popular for Curries and English Sunday lunch, Ani`s which serves great fish, Rafters has been taken over by relatively new owners and although the setting is still lovely the place hadn`t really found a menu to compare with the previous one on the last time we went ( Aug 2004). Try to get a car for more days as you can then explore the place and escape from Acapulco if you need to.

• RE: Asking for tips from experienced...

by coscon2004 Online Now Aug 6, 2005 at 12:33 PM

Acapulco has one of the most beautiful sandy beaches in the North, but yes it is crowded. As far as I know they have a minibus to and from Kerynia. Renting a car is a good idea because the whole area is amazingly beautiful and you will find some beautiful remote coves to swim. However, avoid the ones closer to the main road as they are usually dirty. Also the mountain nearby is fantastic. If you do rent a car, drive up to the Kantara Fortress ruins. You will never forget that beauty. And also go to Bellapais (Beylerbey in Turkish), which is nearby. To Bellapais you can also take a taxi from the Municipal Office square in Kerynia. It costs something like 3 CYP or 10 Turkish Lira. As far as food is concerned, I would recommend the full meze at Niazi. It's by far the best and most well known Cypriot kebab house in the North and it's opposite the Dome Hotel in the centre of Kerynia.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Kyrenia