Travel Answers
Kyoto

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Do they sell Charms/Omamori in Arashiyama?

by dorisbaby1115 Online Now Mar 18, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Do they sell Charms/Omamori in Arashiyama? Will I be able to get a right one if I only spoke English to them? Thanks.

more
    • How long to finish this itinerary?

by dorisbaby1115 Online Now Apr 2, 2014 at 9:39 PM

How long in terms of hours if me and my boyfriend walk in decent pace, taking pictures and seldom resting? http://imgur.com/c3OHAVt

Here is a map of my planned itinerary. It says 2 hours walk but does that include walking through the temples inside out? Or does it only arrive to each temple and head to the next location? If we count the time stayed in each temple/place, what would my total trip time for the day be? (I'm not sure how long to stay for each place) Thank you.

more
    • Need help with a Kyoto - Nara - Osaka 5 day itinerary

by dorisbaby1115 Online Now Mar 31, 2014 at 7:40 PM

What would be a good itinerary to plan if I'm planning to go to Kyoto from KIX first, then move onto Nara (probably for a day in the park), and 2 days in Osaka? Thanks. (P.S. I arrive in Osaka first at midnight and staying at the lounge until the morning when I go to Kyoto, also on my last day, my plane leaves at around 1 am)

more
    • Transportation from Kyoto to Kawaguchiko

by rosma2203 Online Now Apr 6, 2014 at 6:23 PM

How can I go to Kawaguchiko via kyoto at night?

more
    • Onsen and interesting places in Japan

by AlanGoh Online Now Apr 9, 2014 at 12:18 AM

Hi all, my name is Alan Goh. Have a few questions, your suggestions are much appreciated :

1. ONSEN We plan a trip to Japan in Dec 2014. My wife always want to soak in "open air" onsen while snowing (well, to be honest, I don't know why so, but she felt is romantic.....). Is there any value for money open air onsen (including accommodation, we can stay there 1 -2 days as long is not too remote else nothing much to do, cannot be soaking in onsen for 8 hours, right !!).

We will be traveling with 3 kids, therefore cost is a big concern especially Japan is not a cheap place to be.

2. TAKAYAMA In our last trip, we stay at "ryokan" in Takayama, Gifu, Japan. They have onsen but is more of indoor hot bath. Love the HIDA beef, juicy !!! 1 of the best beef steak ever !

Is there any places you may suggest that is similar to Takayama ? we love Takayama, it is quiet, relax, friendly,

3. Our "draft" plan goes like this : OSAKA - enter Japan via OSK, stay 2 nights KYOTO - 3 nights, day trip to NARA (not sure worth the trip or not to Nara?),
      TAKAYAMA - 3 nights, my sons want to ski, there are some ski resort within 60 mins bus trip.
      TOKYO - 5 nights, exit Japan via TOKYO.

Appreciate any comment or suggestion regarding above plan, We are on our own, may be will join a few local tour. The objective of the trip to travel at relax pace, at time, we didn't do much but having cup of coffee watching people walk by. Based on our last short trip to Japan, most attractions are shrine, temples, castles.

Thanks for input.

more
    • Melanie_Putra's Profile Photo

Can buy Kyoto's ¥500 Bus Pass at Convenience Stores?

by Melanie_Putra Online Now Mar 28, 2014 at 4:34 PM

Hi!

Where can I buy the ¥500 City Bus Pass using ICOCA Card? All convenience stores sell the bus pass? I want to use ICOCA to pay for the pass to finish off the credit...

Thanks,
      Mel

more
    • Best month for Japan

by pvohra Online Now Apr 12, 2014 at 11:06 PM

Is June a good month to travel to Japan? Which are the best months?

more
    • Are 2 days good enough, in Kyoto

by pvohra Online Now Apr 12, 2014 at 11:05 PM

Are 2 days good enough, in Kyoto

more

Hanami in Kyoto 2014

by Melanie_Putra Online Now Mar 16, 2014 at 6:05 PM

I saw latest reporting March 5th stating first bloom on March 28 and full bloom, April 5.. I am really praying for earlier bloom since I'll be in Kyoto March 30 till April 5.. Thus, slightly earlier bloom would be better, no?

Any feedback from the locals, please?

Mel

more
    • Best month for Japan

by pvohra Online Now Apr 12, 2014 at 11:06 PM

Is June a good month to travel to Japan? Which are the best months?

6 Answers Apr 13, 2014 at 4:52 PM
    • Are 2 days good enough, in Kyoto

by pvohra Online Now Apr 12, 2014 at 11:05 PM

Are 2 days good enough, in Kyoto

6 Answers Apr 13, 2014 at 5:08 PM
    • Onsen and interesting places in Japan

by AlanGoh Online Now Apr 9, 2014 at 12:18 AM

Hi all, my name is Alan Goh. Have a few questions, your suggestions are much appreciated :

1. ONSEN We plan a trip to Japan in Dec 2014. My wife always want to soak in "open air" onsen while snowing (well, to be honest, I don't know why so, but she felt is romantic.....). Is there any value for money open air onsen (including accommodation, we can stay there 1 -2 days as long is not too remote else nothing much to do, cannot be soaking in onsen for 8 hours, right !!).

We will be traveling with 3 kids, therefore cost is a big concern especially Japan is not a cheap place to be.

2. TAKAYAMA In our last trip, we stay at "ryokan" in Takayama, Gifu, Japan. They have onsen but is more of indoor hot bath. Love the HIDA beef, juicy !!! 1 of the best beef steak ever !

Is there any places you may suggest that is similar to Takayama ? we love Takayama, it is quiet, relax, friendly,

3. Our "draft" plan goes like this : OSAKA - enter Japan via OSK, stay 2 nights KYOTO - 3 nights, day trip to NARA (not sure worth the trip or not to Nara?),
      TAKAYAMA - 3 nights, my sons want to ski, there are some ski resort within 60 mins bus trip.
      TOKYO - 5 nights, exit Japan via TOKYO.

Appreciate any comment or suggestion regarding above plan, We are on our own, may be will join a few local tour. The objective of the trip to travel at relax pace, at time, we didn't do much but having cup of coffee watching people walk by. Based on our last short trip to Japan, most attractions are shrine, temples, castles.

Thanks for input.

5 Answers Apr 13, 2014 at 2:21 AM
    • Transportation from Kyoto to Kawaguchiko

by rosma2203 Online Now Apr 6, 2014 at 6:23 PM

How can I go to Kawaguchiko via kyoto at night?

3 Answers Apr 6, 2014 at 7:49 PM
    • How long to finish this itinerary?

by dorisbaby1115 Online Now Apr 2, 2014 at 9:39 PM

How long in terms of hours if me and my boyfriend walk in decent pace, taking pictures and seldom resting? http://imgur.com/c3OHAVt

Here is a map of my planned itinerary. It says 2 hours walk but does that include walking through the temples inside out? Or does it only arrive to each temple and head to the next location? If we count the time stayed in each temple/place, what would my total trip time for the day be? (I'm not sure how long to stay for each place) Thank you.

2 Answers Apr 6, 2014 at 7:23 PM
    • Need help with a Kyoto - Nara - Osaka 5 day itinerary

by dorisbaby1115 Online Now Mar 31, 2014 at 7:40 PM

What would be a good itinerary to plan if I'm planning to go to Kyoto from KIX first, then move onto Nara (probably for a day in the park), and 2 days in Osaka? Thanks. (P.S. I arrive in Osaka first at midnight and staying at the lounge until the morning when I go to Kyoto, also on my last day, my plane leaves at around 1 am)

2 Answers Apr 1, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Can buy Kyoto's ¥500 Bus Pass at Convenience Stores?

by Melanie_Putra Online Now Mar 28, 2014 at 4:34 PM

Hi!

Where can I buy the ¥500 City Bus Pass using ICOCA Card? All convenience stores sell the bus pass? I want to use ICOCA to pay for the pass to finish off the credit...

Thanks,
      Mel

5 Answers Apr 3, 2014 at 7:41 AM
    • Do they sell Charms/Omamori in Arashiyama?

by dorisbaby1115 Online Now Mar 18, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Do they sell Charms/Omamori in Arashiyama? Will I be able to get a right one if I only spoke English to them? Thanks.

Hanami in Kyoto 2014

by Melanie_Putra Online Now Mar 16, 2014 at 6:05 PM

I saw latest reporting March 5th stating first bloom on March 28 and full bloom, April 5.. I am really praying for earlier bloom since I'll be in Kyoto March 30 till April 5.. Thus, slightly earlier bloom would be better, no?

Any feedback from the locals, please?

Mel

11 Answers Mar 21, 2014 at 8:11 AM
    • The MOST convenient Kyoto Hotel around all must see attractions? (New Traveller here)

by dorisbaby1115 Online Now Mar 13, 2014 at 10:42 PM

Hi all! My boyfriend and I want to be able to visit most if not all of the "must see" attractions around Kyoto within 2 days, in which area should I be looking to book my hotel in? I also want to be able to get to Osaka fairly quickly from my hotel on the day I check out. There are cheap hotel deals going on online and the following are the ones I'm considering to stay in.

Kyoto Century Hotel
      Hotel Villa Fontaine VILLAGE KYOTO
      Hotel Keihan Kyoto Hotel
      KYOTO TOKYU HOTEL
      Kyoto Kokusai Hotel

The "must see" attractions would be such as:
      Kinkaku-ji
      Ginkaku-ji
      Monkey Park Iwatayama
      Shijo-Dori?

P.S. If possible, I don't want to take JR as they're relatively expensive without pass, I'm going to Osaka after 2 days.

2 Answers Mar 14, 2014 at 3:46 PM
    • jwpotter's Profile Photo

Commercial Tour of Kyoto

by jwpotter Online Now Mar 9, 2014 at 10:27 PM

My wife and I will be in Kyoto, and for various reasons, we want to take a commercial tour of the highlights of Kyoto rather then doing it ourselves. I have maps, rail pass, and know it would be easy, but circumstances don't permit that. I have seen a couple of tours for about $120 each for 9 hours including lunch. Does anyone have any recommendations on a good tour company? Do I need to make reservations in advance, or can I make them the day we arrive for the next day?

Thanks in advance!

2 Answers Mar 11, 2014 at 7:32 PM
    • jacob586's Profile Photo

Kyoto resorts

by jacob586 Online Now Feb 25, 2014 at 1:04 AM

Any recommendation for travelling to Kyoto?

3 Answers Feb 25, 2014 at 4:27 PM

Path to Kiyomizudera

by Melanie_Putra Online Now Feb 24, 2014 at 7:03 PM

Everytime I went to Kiyomizudera I walked up Gojozaka. I am wondering whether it is better to go along Matsubara Dori instead? Which is steeper? Does Matsubara Dori has shops like Gojozaka?

Thanks!
      Mel

1 Answer Feb 25, 2014 at 4:29 PM
    • fernanda849's Profile Photo

One Day in Kyoto

by fernanda849 Online Now Feb 24, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Hi Guys!

I will be going to Kyoto for a day and a half in early March. Th to see the Golden Pavilion, Fushimi Inari Shrine, Arashiyama, Ginkaku- ji Temple, Royoan- ji Temple, Gion District, and Kiyomizu- dera Temple.

I know there is no way I can see all of these, but I was wondering if anyone could help map out an itinerary with some of these places that may be near to each other. I would like to get in as many as possible.

Thanks for all of your help!

5 Answers Feb 25, 2014 at 6:33 AM

Direction to Eiraku Ochazuke Bar, Kyoto

by Melanie_Putra Online Now Feb 13, 2014 at 3:24 AM

Hi Guys!

I read about this all nighter Ochazuke bar "EIRAKU", which is at 365 Kamiya-chō, Shijō-agaru. However, I can't find any map to its location. Would anyone be able to assist, please?

Tq,
      Mel

2 Answers Feb 13, 2014 at 6:29 AM

Direction to Renkon-Ya, Kiyamachi, Kyoto

by Melanie_Putra Online Now Feb 11, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Hi Guys,

I read about this restaurant along Kiyamachi Dori, RENKON-YA (236 Sanjō-sagaru, Nishi-Kiyamachi; 075-221-1061). Direction: Left hand side of the Takase River along Kiyamachi Dori.

Would anyone be able to supply me with a map, please? Is it nearer to Sanjo Dori than Shijo and the direction above stating it being on the left hand side of the Takase River, is that the direction walking from Sanjo or Shijo?

Thanks,
      Mel

2 Answers Feb 13, 2014 at 3:25 AM

Sanjo-Kai Shotengai

by Melanie_Putra Online Now Feb 11, 2014 at 8:49 AM

I want to visit Sanjo-Kai Shotengai. How do I get there and back by bus from my hotel, Toyoko Inn Shijo Karasuma? I read that it runs between Senbon Dori and Horikawa Dori. So can I take buses 46 or 201 from Shijo Takakura bus stop to Senbon Sanjo Suzakuritsumeikan mae bus stop then upon returning to hotel, take bus 12 from Horikawa Sanjo bus stop to Shijo Takakura bus stop?

Upon getting off the bus at Senbon Sanjo Suzakuritsumeikan mae bus stop, how do I find the entrance to the arcade?

I've been to Teramachi. Is it worth it to visit this arcade?

Tq,
      Mel

3 Answers Mar 16, 2014 at 5:16 PM
    • jwpotter's Profile Photo

2 days in Kyoto

by jwpotter Online Now Feb 8, 2014 at 1:28 PM

We are traveling to Japan in April and will return to the US by ship from Yokohama. My plan it to fly directly to Kyoto and spend 3 nights before going onto Hakone and the Tokyo.

That will give us 2 full days in Kyoto. I know this isn't much, but it is about all we can afford. I thought one day we may take a 1 day tour of Kyoto and on day go to Nara.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks, Jim Potter

7 Answers Feb 9, 2014 at 12:33 PM
    • Incense Shop

by Andyb1966 Online Now Feb 6, 2014 at 3:05 AM

Hi I am looking for an incense shop near Kiyomizu-dera. It is on top of Sannen Zaka and I now it has a weeping Cherry Blossom out the front.
      Long shot I know.

1 Answer Feb 6, 2014 at 10:05 AM
    • tracyskf's Profile Photo

Arashimaya

by tracyskf Online Now Feb 2, 2014 at 8:16 AM

What is the best way to get here from Kyoto station? I searched the train maps and got slightly confused as there are a few variant of Arashimaya stations. There are also some mention about Sagano Scenic Railway.

3 Answers Feb 3, 2014 at 5:54 PM

Direction b/w Heian Shrine and Keage Incline

by Melanie_Putra Online Now Feb 1, 2014 at 12:19 AM

Hi guys!

I am visiting Kyoto end of March for 6 nights and planning to do a walk which includes Heian Shrine, Okazaki Canal, Keage Incline and Nanzenji Temple to see the aquaduct. Preferring to take a bus to and fro from my hotel (Toyoko Inn Shijo Karasuma). Would really appreciate any directional advice... What is the best sequence to take and how to get to/from the Incline and Nanzenji? The direction between Heian Shrine and Okazaki Canal looks simple enough.. But I can't seem to find clear direction to the Incline and Nanzenji...

Thanks!
      Mel

5 Answers Feb 5, 2014 at 5:20 PM
    • tracyskf's Profile Photo

Only 2 1/2 days in Kyoto

by tracyskf Online Now Jan 31, 2014 at 7:57 PM

I am departing day after tomorrow, need some quick pointers:

1. 2 day pass for subway and busses - can I use this for all busses and subway regardless which company?

2. I arrive about 5 pm and thought to head to Gion. Is it easy to spot a geisha and are we allowed to take photos?

3. My interest is temples and shrines, not so much on museum or shopping. What is the best route for full 2 days? Would like to see Inari, Ginkakuji, Kinkakuji, kiyomuu, Heian. Let me know if possible or If I should cut down any, which are priority to see?

Arigato!!!

5 Answers Feb 3, 2014 at 2:41 AM
    • EasyDoesIt's Profile Photo

Lunch in Gion district

by EasyDoesIt Online Now Jan 29, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Planning a tour of Kyoto April 25. Is there a typical Japanese restaurant we 4 should go to?
      Dale

2 Answers Jan 29, 2014 at 4:22 PM
    • 4 days in Kyoto?

by Urbanomad Online Now Jan 13, 2014 at 2:46 PM

Hi, We are a group of 6 adults and 2 children travelling to Japan in April. We are planning on staying 4 full days in Kyoto, 1 day in Nara and a half day in Osaka. We will than go to Tokyo and spend 3 days / 4 nights.

Can anyone give me their opinion if the days that we are allocating to Kyoto is enough? How about the rest of the cities? I'm having a hard time deciding how many days we should spend in each location... especially between Kyoto and Tokyo.

Thanks!

5 Answers Jan 14, 2014 at 4:48 PM
    • after sam and dave's?

by hammerheadshark Online Now Jan 8, 2014 at 5:56 AM

After Sam & Dave's Kyoto closed is there any other similar club in Kyoto that filled the void?

p.s. for who doesn't know, it was a lively  club popular club for an age range 25-30, where there was a great mix of japanese and foreigners. it has another club, still open, in osaka

1 Answer Jan 15, 2014 at 3:47 PM
    • cheaper play station purchase

by amitresearch222 Online Now Dec 4, 2013 at 6:33 PM

where to buy play station in english language near kyoto city, japan

3 Answers Dec 9, 2013 at 4:41 PM
    • bakery delivery in Daigo?

by cka Online Now Nov 7, 2013 at 6:34 AM

My son is living in Japan. His birthday is approaching. I want to buy a desert to have delivered in Daigo. any suggestions?

1 Answer Nov 7, 2013 at 3:33 PM
    • marcus_gsh's Profile Photo

Itinerary help needed for 4days

by marcus_gsh Online Now Nov 6, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Checkin Sakura Terrace by 6 dec (add: 1-1 Karasuma-cho Higashi-kujo Minami-ku,, Kyoto Station, Kyoto, Japan 601-8016 ) from Osaka
      Checkout by 9 dec, but flight is scheduled to 2335hr

I'm not sure during this time frame, Kyoto is in winter or not. If yes for winter, I might not have luck to see the autumn colors of leaves there :(

About the places I wish to visit: Chion-in, maruyama park,kiyomizu-dera, kinkaku-ji, ginkaku-ji, philosopher's path, arashiyama, lyoto imperial palace, nijo-ji castle, nishiki food market, gion district, shinkyogoku shopping street, fushimi inari taisha.

Please kindly add in if I missed out any primary landmark of Kyoto.

is it too many temple/shrine to visit? Please kindly suggest to cancel if you feel it's not Kyoto major highlights since I'm not so particular to temple/shrine as well. Just pay a visit if it's landmark of Kyoto :)

any nice onsen to recommend?

9 Answers Nov 16, 2013 at 9:55 AM
    • Driving in japan

by prietojuanfrancisco Online Now Oct 21, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Need advise for a group of 6 non Japanese speakers rent a car to travel around japan, instead of buying the jr pass? i saw we could save a ton of money

4 Answers Oct 25, 2013 at 9:47 AM
    • misyel614's Profile Photo

Need help for my 2-day Kyoto visit

by misyel614 Online Now Oct 13, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Hi, I will be travelling to Japan with my mom from November 9th until 15th. We will probably arrive at KIX airport around 12:45 pm then we will go straight to Kyoto. We only have 2 days to spend in Kyoto as we will be spending the rest in Nara & Osaka. I was wondering if you could help me plan my itinerary for those 2 days on which tourist attractions are a MUST to visit first. Our accommodation is located at Kita-ku Koyama Nakamizo-cho. We love sightseeings, temples, beautiful foliage, gardens and places to buy cheap souvenirs. For ideas, the places I would love to visit are Kiyomizudera, Nijo castle, Nishiki market, Kinkakuji, Gion district, Eikando, Tofukuji, Heian Shrine, Fushimi Inari, Arashiyama etc. Also, I heard its great to see evening illuminations as well. Any recommendations?

I would really appreciate your suggestions. Thank you in advance! :)

10 Answers Oct 23, 2013 at 3:47 PM