Kyoto Travel Answers

change location

Transportion to and from Kobe Cruise Terminal to Kyoto

by ilex21771 Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Hello, Will be arriving in Kobe via Cruise Ship on April 28, 2013. Would like to take the Speed train to Kyoto where we will stay the night and take the speed train back to the ship on the 29th.
I Have looked at the train schedules online but cannot figure them out.

Here are my questions:
Are there readily available taxis at the port to take us to Shin-kobe train station?
How far is it and how much is to this station?
How do I find the correct train to take, the times, and the cost?
Same questions in reverse.

Our Hotel does offer a shuttle to the station so we should be ok there.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • dru46's Profile Photo

Re: Transportion to and from Kobe Cruise Terminal to Kyoto

by dru46 Online Now Feb 2, 2013 at 1:10 AM

If you have a lot of luggage, I recommend taking a taxi to Shin Kobe. The walk to the nearest station is a bit far. There will be taxis there as they will be waiting for passengers like you looking for a ride to the nearest station.

The cost should be around 1500 yen each way. It was a couple years ago when I took a taxi from that area but it should be about that (plus minus 500 yen).

If you take the train, you can easily buy a non-reserved ticket to Kyoto. Then you don't have to worry about which train you take as you can take any train. You may not get a seat, but you should be able to. For a short trip, it isn't really necessary. If you want a reserved seat (it isn't expensive), you can easily get them at the station. The staff will help you to get the next train or tell you the next couple trains.

If you are taking a non-reserved seat, take any train that is going to Tokyo. Trains to Shin-Osaka will not go to Kyoto.

If you are using the ticket machines for a reserved seat, just choose a time as the trains that stop in Shin-Osaka will not be available for you.

There are roughly 5 trains an hour going to Kyoto. You have a lot of choice. There is also a nice gift shop in the main concourse of the station with local snacks and some good food for the train trip.

Reserved seat on the bullet train is 3540 yen.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • dru46's Profile Photo

Re: Transportion to and from Kobe Cruise Terminal to Kyoto

by dru46 Online Now Feb 2, 2013 at 5:52 AM

As a tip, it is better to have the address printed in Japanese or have a map for them to look at.

Japanese people are not good with accents, or people who speak quickly. In fact, people who never leave Japan can understand English well enough, but the pronunciation has to be modified into a Japanese style. US Midwest and Canadian accents tend to be the easiest for them to understand. British and Australian tends to be a lot harder. I hope your experience was truly not understanding you rather than not wanting to. :(

• Re: Transportion to and from Kobe Cruise Terminal to Kyoto

by ilex21771 Online Now Feb 2, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Thanks so much for the info. Really helpful! Takes a lot of my worries away.

by ilex21771 Online Now Feb 2, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Thanks for the info. Great idea with the ticket. Think I will take a picture of the cruise ship terminal for clarity. Very helpful!

by wharpshire Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 11:12 AM

We are also on this cruise. Put a great trip together with our tour company. When they went to confirm us being off ship with Celebrity we were told this is not possible so check before you book. We are now putting together returning over night which is very annoying.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines