Kyoto Travel Answers

change location
jwpotter's Profile Photo

2 days in Kyoto

by jwpotter Online Now Feb 8, 2014 at 1:28 PM

We are traveling to Japan in April and will return to the US by ship from Yokohama. My plan it to fly directly to Kyoto and spend 3 nights before going onto Hakone and the Tokyo.

That will give us 2 full days in Kyoto. I know this isn't much, but it is about all we can afford. I thought one day we may take a 1 day tour of Kyoto and on day go to Nara.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks, Jim Potter

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • bahiana77's Profile Photo

Re: 2 days in Kyoto

by bahiana77 Online Now Feb 8, 2014 at 1:50 PM

I find Kyoto to be much more interesting than Tokyo, and would prioritize my time that way, but YMMV.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • bahiana77's Profile Photo

by bahiana77 Online Now Feb 8, 2014 at 1:50 PM

I find Kyoto to be much more interesting than Tokyo, and would prioritize my time that way, but YMMV.

1 member found this helpful

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo

by Jim_Eliason Online Now Feb 8, 2014 at 2:33 PM

Although I would highly recommend Nara if you're staying longer. It would be difficult to see even just the highlights of Kyoto in one day. If it were me i'd spend the 2 days in Kyoto..

1 member found this helpful

• jwpotter's Profile Photo

by jwpotter Online Now Feb 8, 2014 at 2:39 PM

bahiana77 wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. I started planning  by staying more days in Tokyo, but now I am down to 2 or maybe even one.

• jwpotter's Profile Photo

by jwpotter Online Now Feb 8, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Jim_Eliason wrote:

Although I would highly recommend Nara if you're staying longer. It would be difficult to see even just the highlights of Kyoto in one day. If it were me i'd spend the 2 days in Kyoto..

Thanks, I think maybe I will just forget Nara for now. I was in Kyoto and Nara 51 years ago and just remember it as being one of the best times of my life. I don't want to be to rushed and so I think just Kyoto is the way to go. Besides, we will just have arrived from the US on a long flight and we may need a bit of time to rest.

• dru46's Profile Photo

by dru46 Online Now Feb 9, 2014 at 8:22 AM

I recommend 2 days in Kyoto. I love Nara more than Kyoto but most people prefer Kyoto. I still think Kyoto is great.

• jlanza29's Profile Photo

by jlanza29 Online Now Feb 9, 2014 at 12:33 PM

Kyoto is the crown jewel of Japan …. if you need to make a decision between Nara and Kyoto, I would say do Kyoto instead. I was there for 5 days and only saw 1/4 of the sites … it is spectacular to say the least. Please visit my pages for more insight and please do not hesitate to ask questions …

jlanza29

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines