Kyongju Travel Answers

change location

Worth renting a bicycle?

by Lad_uk Online Now Jun 9, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Hi,

I've entertained the idea of renting a bicycle to explore the downtown area of Gyeongju but was wondering if it could just as easily be done by foot. If I can explore the downtown area easily on foot, this would be my preference. This would mean that I won't have the extra hassle of finding a good place to rent a bike from and then finding a place to lock the bike at each site I visit. I also wouldn't be exposed to the traffic on the roads. Is Gyeongju bike friendly?

Thanks.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • DSwede's Profile Photo

Re: Worth renting a bicycle?

by DSwede Online Now Jun 9, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Gyeongju is one of the most bike-friendly cities in Korea in my opinion. The most places that you'd want to go either have paths off the side of the road, or are slow enough traffic areas that you'll be perfectly safe. Due to the development of bike rentals and promotions in the city, bike locking areas are more common. And provided you lock your bike to any fixed structure, you don't have to worry about theft in Korea.

With that being said, you can get to ~70% of the main sites on foot. Bulguksa the one place not to be missed that is not within walking distance. Once you make it to Bulguksa, you can take either a connecting bus or hike up to Sokkul Am grotto. You could bike to Bulguksa or take public transit. All of the others are walking distance of the train/bus terminals, with about 15 minutes.

"Self guided tours" - Kyongju Favorite Tip by DSwede

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Worth renting a bicycle?

by Lad_uk Online Now Jun 10, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Thanks for replying, DSwede. As it seems that I can see the main sites by foot with the exception of Bulguksa Temple and Seokguram Grotto, I won't hire a bike (unless I change my mind when I arrive!). This will give me one less thing to prepare for so its good to know! By the way, good travel pages :)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines