Kunming

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• 9 days - Lijiang, Dali and Shangrila

Lijiang Apr 12, 2014 at 12:37 AM

I am planning a 9 days trip to China where I will be flying into Lijiang and hoping to cover Lijiang, Dali and Shangrila. I would like to do some trekking and explore around to understand the local way of life.

Some help in my planning is greatly appreciated:
      1. How many days should I spend in each of the places?
      2. How do I go from one place to another? Do I have to book in advance or will i be able to just do it via the guesthouse?
      3. How long is the travel from place to place? I am particularly concerned about the treks where I might require a stayover? Which are the ones I should look out for so I can factor that in my planning.

THANK YOU very much!

more
    • good hotels in lijiang for two nights

Lijiang Apr 1, 2014 at 4:56 AM

can anyone recommend a hotel they have stayed in recently. clean and good size and not too expensive comfort range slightly below expensive class
      thank you

more
    • n4nova's Profile Photo

Itinerary for Kunming, 4 days

by n4nova Online Now Dec 15, 2013 at 7:43 PM

I am planning to visit Kunming from Bangkok. The places I want to visit are - Dongchuan Red Land, World Horti-Expo Garden, Jiuxiang Scenic Area, Jiuxiang Scenic Area and may be Taihe Palace(not sure about this one).

So, can you please suggest me that what would be best to visit and if 4 days is sufficient to visit? And, may be help me with an sample itinerary?

Thanks a lot!

P.S - one more question. Daguan Pavilion is same as Dongchuan Red Land? If not same then I want to include is too.

2 Answers Dec 15, 2013 at 9:28 PM
    • Goldwinde's Profile Photo

What is the BEST city in the world for living (comparing Kunming, China)?

by Goldwinde Online Now Dec 14, 2013 at 6:10 PM

I am an American currently live in Kunming, China for four years now (for a total of 13 years in China). So, far it is the BEST city in the world for me to live in and I hope/expect to live here forever. However, if for some reason I can't stay here at some point (e.g. China won't issue me another visa), I want to have a backup city for me to move to. And I want to KNOW what my backup city is in advance.

I have several criteria for my backup city (to try to match Kunming or better):
      1) Good weather year around (Kunming almost always gets up to 15 degrees (Celsius) each day in the winter and rarely goes above 30 degrees in the summer)

2) Great prices compared to USA (it would cost me six times more to live in the USA given my current level of living here in Kunming: I have a 2700 square foot luxury apartment for $500 USD per month; my personal assistant works for me for less than $3 per hour, etc.)

3) I would like to live in a city of 1,000,000 or more, although I might accept as low at 500,000.

4) The residents of this city should have a friendly attitude towards Americans.

These are my basic requirements. Do you know of any cities in your travels that might fit?

With much appreciation...

Dwight

8 Answers Jan 15, 2014 at 6:46 AM
    • Sean59's Profile Photo

Kunming,Dali and Lijiang DIY Tour( December 2013 )

by Sean59 Online Now Sep 26, 2013 at 7:01 AM

Can anyone suggest how to go around these places in 8 days free n easy ? My wife and I plan to go to Kunming for 2 days, 3 days in Dali and 3 days in Lijiang. Will there be a problem taking public transport in these places ?

Chin Malaysia

31 Answers Dec 14, 2013 at 3:01 AM
    • Good and cheap (Chinese) tablet brand?

by Wzshop Online Now Aug 23, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Hey,
      I would like to buy a tablet in kunming. I am looking for a good but cheap (chinese) brand. Where can i find a tablet store and when i buy a Chinese brand, would it be easily possible to translate the software in english?

Thanks a lot!
      Robbert

1 Answer Aug 24, 2013 at 3:51 AM
    • Where can I get my laptop fixed?

by SilkRoad1122 Online Now May 22, 2013 at 7:17 AM

Am arriving in Kunming tomorrow and I need to urgently get my laptop fixed as it is infected with a virus. Can anyone recommend where I can go where the staff speak good english.

5 Answers May 25, 2013 at 7:48 AM
    • driver

by viacc65 Online Now Apr 11, 2013 at 1:29 PM

I am looking for a professional/reliabe driver from Kunming to YuanYang

2 Answers Apr 18, 2013 at 12:21 AM
    • Dres's Profile Photo

two day itinerary for Kunming China

by Dres Online Now Dec 21, 2012 at 4:46 AM

Could you please recommend two days of activities for Kunming?

3 Answers Jan 8, 2013 at 7:13 PM
    • anoum's Profile Photo

From Kunming airport to Fairyland Hotel Kunming Jingxing

by anoum Online Now Nov 6, 2012 at 3:37 AM

Hi, if I wish to take the shuttle bus from the airport into the hotel in the city, where do I get down? After that, do I take a taxi or walk? Or is it better to take a taxi directly?
      The hotel is in East Shifu Street, Kunming City Center. TQ.

3 Answers Nov 30, 2012 at 6:33 AM
    • anoum's Profile Photo

Lodging in Kunming

by anoum Online Now Oct 18, 2012 at 4:10 AM

Can anyone give an opinion about Cloudland Youth Hostel and The Hump Youth Hostel?
      In terms of location (train station, airport, shopping malls) and other factors like cleanliness.

I am also open to staying at budget hotels and hope to get some recommendations (about 200 yuan/night). TQ.

10 Answers Oct 27, 2012 at 4:43 PM
    • anoum's Profile Photo

Kunming-Shangrila first or...?

by anoum Online Now Oct 15, 2012 at 3:19 AM

Hi,
      I shall be in Kunming on 11 Nov and have planned to fly to Shangrila on 13 Nov before slowly making my way down to Kunming once more via Dali and Lijiang by bus/train. Is this a good idea or should I go up slowly by bus/train up to Shangrila before flying back to Kunming? TQ.

11 Answers Oct 19, 2012 at 3:21 AM
    • Train Journey from Kunming

by sayem Online Now Aug 29, 2012 at 11:51 PM

I'm planning a trip from Kunming to Lijiang by overnight train. I need some suggestion from you.

1. Which overnight Train has VIP Chamber, since we, a couple, will visit with 3 yr kid (height is less than 95cm)
      a. K9606 (20:53 ~ 06:33)
      b. K9610 (21:58 ~ 07:10)
      c. K9614 (22:28 ~ 07:39)
      d. K9652 (23:55 ~ 10:12)

2. I will start on 28th Oct 2012 from Kunming by overnight train. Is it possible to book the ticket from the website http://www.12306.cn/mormhweb/kyfw/ just now to ensure to get by anyone else with my name & passport number.

3. How much it would take by a taxi from Kunming new airport to Train Station at around 19:30 and what will be the time to reach.

4. Is there any alternative way (by bus) to reach Train Station from new airport? What is the route if we want to go by bus & what time it may take at the evening time?

Thanks in advance for your great passions.

Sayem

• travelinxs's Profile Photo

Computer Repair

by travelinxs Online Now Nov 2, 2011 at 11:57 PM

Does anyone know where I can get a computer (external hard drive) repaired in Kunming?

Many thanks.

3 Answers Nov 4, 2011 at 6:31 AM
    • vuzu's Profile Photo

Decent budget hotel around rmb150

by vuzu Online Now Sep 19, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Hi, I will arrive Kunming late in the evening next month and I'm looking for a budget hotel with attach bathroom and breakfast.
      Someone recommended me the Camelia hotel, quite a lot negative reviews on Camelia hotel.Is there any budget hotels around rmb150 in prime location in Kunming? Thanks and much appreciate.

• kunming villas /farmhouse resort

by spiritbloom Online Now Apr 18, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Hi,
      Anyone out there can give me some contacts regarding farm or villa stays with meals provided near Kunming? Good and cheap as well
      Thanks for any replies

• clawmike's Profile Photo

Car and driver

by clawmike Online Now Mar 14, 2011 at 6:32 PM

We will be in Kunming in April and would like to hire a car with driver for about four days to take us to Dali and back. We are travellers with minimal luggage.
      thanks,Mike

3 Answers May 28, 2011 at 6:38 PM
    • iblatt's Profile Photo

Guide for 1 day

by iblatt Online Now Aug 17, 2010 at 7:05 AM

Hello,

Can anyone recommend a guide for Kunming and its environs for 1 day?

Thanks,
      Ilan

• car rental with driver

by COLLET Online Now Aug 16, 2010 at 7:21 AM

Hello
      We are 3 persons arriving in Kunming on the 23 of September,and we would like to rent a car with a driver to go to visit Yunnan till the 3 of October.What would be the price for that?
      Thanks

• wanted car with guide

by bonsel Online Now Aug 7, 2010 at 5:28 AM

|Female is looking for a car with driver who must speak english or german.
      10 days travel to see Yuangyang ricefields, drive Kunmning to Dali/Lijang to visit many etnhnic villages and markets. Must have experience with guiding foreigners and know the area.
      Will travel in low season.
      contact Francisca.Bonsel@me.com

• Private Driver

by bridgetkamahele Online Now Aug 5, 2010 at 11:42 AM

I am looking to hire a private driver to take me from Kunming to Dongchuan/Lexiaguo, Stone Forest and then Yuanyang. Can anyone suggest a driver and would you know the price?

Thank you.

• trantrulla's Profile Photo

Suggested iternary for family with 1 toddler and 1 infant

by trantrulla Online Now Jun 10, 2010 at 6:31 PM

Hi,

1. When is a good time (weather-wise) to visit? Rain is a problem for us since we have young children.

2. Any suggested iternary and number of days required (slow pace, not the rush-here-rush-there pace)

3. Any recommended holiday service apartments?

Thanks a million in advance to fellow forumers!

6 Answers Jun 15, 2010 at 4:48 AM
    • Chyan's Profile Photo

How long does it take to travel to Jing Kai Road, Kunming?

by Chyan Online Now Apr 9, 2010 at 5:09 PM

Hi Kunming VT,

i am planning to stay in Kunming for two nights, first time visiting Kunming. I have chosen Camilia Hotel. May i know how long it takes to travel to Jing Kai Road in Kunming from Camilia Hotel?

I heard that Jing Kai Road in Jing Kai District is new and far from the city centre but the Headquarters of Kunming Airlines is situated there. I would like to visit the Headquarters to collect Inflight Magazine and Timetable of Kunming Airlines. Does anyone have any idea the likely cost of travel to the Headquarters in Jing Kai Road from Camilia Hotel?

Chyan

3 Answers Apr 11, 2010 at 3:29 PM
    • Golf equipment

by grhodes Online Now Apr 2, 2010 at 9:13 AM

I may be visiting China later in 2010 and I am interested in purchasing some golf equipment. Is this possible? Are there any larger golf outlets?

2 Answers Apr 2, 2010 at 11:47 PM
    • james1973bruce's Profile Photo

Rafting companys locall

by james1973bruce Online Now Mar 20, 2010 at 3:00 AM

dear sirs...

we live in shanghai and are looking for a rafting tour option in kunming and maybe golf.. most companys over 5-6 day tours that not what we want.. we just want a lads weekend away..

do you know if it ispossible.. and any contacts..

2 Answers Mar 31, 2010 at 4:29 AM
    • Shopping for Pu'Er Tea

by mohdsahizan Online Now Mar 15, 2010 at 9:57 AM

I have 2 questions:-

1. When and where is the Pu'er Tea Festival in 2010?
      2. Can you recommend any good and honest tea shops in Kunming which offer quality Pu'er?

5 Answers Apr 1, 2010 at 4:14 AM
    • Hekou to Kunming by bus

by 63studebaker289 Online Now Nov 9, 2009 at 7:04 PM

We will be travelling from Vietnam in April 2010, crossing the border at Hekou. Can anyone tell me what time the "day" bus leaves Hekou and how long the journey takes to reach Kunming. I've read reports that say 14 hours and reports that say 8 hours. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers, Graham.

• dragon0419's Profile Photo

Kunming Airport

by dragon0419 Online Now Apr 29, 2009 at 11:35 AM

Is anyone familiar with the layout of Kunming airport? I'm picking up my luggage from one airline (China Eastern) and have to check in with a different airline (Shandong). Do I need to go out and come back in. Is it a relatively small airport? Any problems with security? much thanks

2 Answers May 5, 2009 at 8:18 PM
    • tteehee's Profile Photo

Stone Forest and JiuXiang in one day..Possible?

by tteehee Online Now Mar 24, 2009 at 11:38 PM

post subject says it all.
      is it possible to do both spots in one day?
      we'll be arriving KunMing 10am. so mybe half day then 2 spots. possible?
      if not, maybe halfday each?

1 Answer Mar 27, 2009 at 7:33 PM
    • Storm In Kunming

by Marco04 Online Now Jul 12, 2008 at 11:17 PM

Hi! Do anyone know how much is the storm in the south affecting Kunming? I was planning to go there next week but I've seen the weather reports and I'm not sure to go anymore.

Thanks.

2 Answers Nov 9, 2008 at 3:21 AM
    • John195123's Profile Photo

Airport Hotels

by John195123 Online Now Jun 24, 2008 at 12:17 AM

I know there are a few hotels around Kunming's airport, but I can't find them online. Does anyone happen to know? I'm looking for hotels 1km or closer.

Thanks! John

1 Answer Jul 16, 2008 at 6:13 PM
    • Want to visit the beauties & must seeing places at Kunming

by sayem Online Now Apr 10, 2008 at 11:12 AM

Hello VTers
      I'm planned for Kunming from Shanghai on late night of April 16. And next two days (April 17, Thursday& 18, Friday) I want to utilize for sightseeing at Kunming.

I booked the hotel at Royal Garden, very near (about 400 meter) from Kunming airport.

Would you pls suggest me any itinerary for those 2 days. I don't want to miss any must seeing places, communities and enjoyable areas. Also suggest me very nearby electronic market from where I can buy an LCD TV.

I would be grateful for your any tips and plans.
      Thank you.

5 Answers Nov 23, 2008 at 7:41 PM