Kuching Travel Answers

change location

Which Park near Kuching to visit on weekend ?

by vaclavv Online Now Jun 8, 2008 at 12:31 AM

Hi. This August I will be about five days in Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia and plan to visit some of the National Parks near there. In general I would like to spend two days in Bako and a day in Kubah/Matang and another day on Santubong peninsula; the last day I fly out at night I would like to go to Semenggoh.

Now, within these five days there is a weekend and I expect the Parks are more crowded on weekends. So I am wandering which of the mentioned places I should visit during weekend while avoiding the crowds as much as I can. I figured my best option will be to put those two weekend days on visiting Bako NP as I plan to go there early in the morning, take the Limau Trail, spend the night there at Limau beach (or the Keruin beach) and come back next evening - I guess, not so many people walks so far away and so I may get out of the crowds that way.

Could anybody familiar with the area to give me his/her opinion about the best itinerary. Thanks.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • gonnabeatravelbug's Profile Photo

Re: Which Park near Kuching to visit on weekend ?

by gonnabeatravelbug Online Now Jun 12, 2008 at 2:34 AM

Hello.

Kubah National Park is will probably be crowded on the weekends. When I was growing up there, it wasn't a national park, more of a weekend picnic area. It became a national park a few years ago but I think locals still go there for picnics along the waterfall on weekends. You need to catch a long boat to Bako and I would assume it will be less crowded on weekends.

I haven't been there for years. I'm going to visit Kuching for about a week beginning of Sept. Might go to Bako this time.

There's another National Park, called Gunung Gading National Park. I really enjoyed myself there. We saw the Rafflesia, the biggest flower in the world and it's a rare sight!

For Semenggoh, I think it would be easier to join a day trip tour to go up there. Public transport in Kuching is a nightmare. :)

Let me know if i can help in anything else!

Merv

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Which Park near Kuching to visit on weekend ?

by vaclavv Online Now Jun 12, 2008 at 4:39 AM

Hi Merv, thanks for your reply with valuable information. It looks I have figured my itinerary just right ...

I hope I will manage regarding transport - due to close distance of the places, we can always resort to taxi.

As for the Gunung Gading, I of course considered it too, but it is yet rather further away and so I decided to skip it.

Have a good trip if going there too

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines