Kuching Travel Answers

change location

govt permit in sarawak

by brita Online Now Mar 24, 2004 at 11:01 AM

hello I will be visiting sarawak and intend to visit one of the national parks of this region. I would like to know a) Which ones are close to Kuching? b) Is a government permit reqd to visit the parks? If so where can they be got from? Thanks, Brita

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • kimmo_v's Profile Photo

Re: govt permit in sarawak

by kimmo_v Online Now Mar 26, 2004 at 2:19 AM

Hi! Near Kuching is one extremely fabulous National Park called Bako. It is in the middle of jungle(longtail boat trip took half an hour) and the views are spectacular! From Kuching take bus No.6 or regular minibuses go to Kampung Bako, a picturesque fishing village. Taxi fare is RM 30 one-way. From there you book yourself a ticket to boat(cheap). If you want accomodation in Bako NP, it is highly recommended to book advance, especially during the weekends. There are limited accomodation services that includes very basic houses. Houses can be rented in Kuching-office, but i dont remember the adress anymore(but you will find it on the Lonely Planet for sure). Check also this site for pics and more info! sarawaktourism.com/TrekkingS... ps. be careful with macaque-monkeys! Those little devils steal everything that is left alone for a second. Really. Even candles goes...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • kimmo_v's Profile Photo

Re: Re: govt permit in sarawak

by kimmo_v Online Now Mar 26, 2004 at 2:20 AM

Oh, we didnt needed any governement permission then(1999) and i dont think you will need it nowadays neither.

• Re: Re: govt permit in sarawak

by brita Online Now Mar 26, 2004 at 10:14 AM

Thank you very much for the information. I'll be going to Kuching in May or June this year. regards, brita

• mansionion's Profile Photo

Re: Re: govt permit in sarawak

by mansionion Online Now Mar 26, 2004 at 6:26 PM

Hi! I'm on holiday in KCH now and just back from Bako yesterday & really enjoy the trip. Agreed with the info above on Bako National Park. As for permit, for day trip you hve to pay RM10/pax (RM5 for senior citizen). If you wanna stay stay overnite, you can register vith the tourist office in KCH before going there. Happy travel! -m-

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines