Kuching Travel Answers

change location
mansionion's Profile Photo

Ideas for Kuching

by mansionion Online Now Feb 26, 2004 at 6:16 AM

Hi! I'm planning to go to Kuching soon on my own (FIT) and need some idea/suggestion for the trip. Its a 4D3N trip with the following itinery: Day 1 - City tour Day 2 - Bako National Park Day 3 - Cultural Village/Damai Beach/Sentubong Day 4 - City again Do I need special permit to go to the National Park? How's the arrangement like? Would appreciate info on reliable travel agency that can arrange for the trip to Bako. Any other info/tips are most welcome. Many thanks! -m-

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • Wojtek_R's Profile Photo

Re: Ideas for Kuching

by Wojtek_R Online Now Feb 27, 2004 at 1:57 AM

Kuching City itself foes not have much to offer, except maybe for the Sarawak Museum and a really good nightlife.... The Cultural Village is a half day event, Holiday Inn runs good value packages to the village leaving 9am, coming back 1pm, unless you want to stay around Damai. Kuching downtown is rather small and the riverfront is pleasant to walk around. The B&B Inn is I believe still the only hostel, located right next to Hotel Borneo, there is also the Cathedral, but its more out of the way. Public buses seem hard to interpret at first, but do obtain a schedule from the tourist office in town.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • kapkiuong's Profile Photo

by kapkiuong Online Now Mar 3, 2004 at 4:15 PM

It's best to visit the Visitor Information Center (at Padang Merdeka) to ask about Bako National Park (e.g transport, accommodation etc). You have to take a speedboat to reach Bako and have to register at the National Park. Bako is best appreciated overnight, in fact it's far better than Damai or Santubong beaches. If you're lucky u can see the proboscis monkeys :) On Kuching city itself, the must sees are the Sarawak Museum (among the best in SE Asia), as well the pleasant park nearby. Wander around the old streets near the riverside, e.g. Gambier Street, Carpenter Street. In the evening, saunter along Kuching Waterfront--it's really relaxing. It's probably too warm to do it daytime. In the daytime however, do take one of the little wooden boats 'sampan' across the Sarawak River, and you can visit Fort Margherita. Cultural Village is a must. You can go for either the morning or afternoon sessions. Again, check out the times at the Visitor TIC. I must admit the public transport in Kuching isnt too great.. but if you're in Kuching on a Saturday afternoon, the best place for a feel of local flavour, tastes, sights and sounds is the 'Sunday Market' (don't be fooled by it's name--it is at its most vibrant on a Sat afternoon). As for food, try out the famous Laksa (may be a bit hot for westerners but ooh... ahh...), Kueh Chap (if you don't mind eating 'piggy' stuff) or Kolo Mee.

• mansionion's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Ideas for Kuching

by mansionion Online Now Mar 5, 2004 at 9:37 AM

Thanks for all the ideas/info, will definitely come in handy when I'm in Kuching. Definitely I'll go to the Sarawak Museum, Waterfront and Cultural Village. Tried mee kolok before when I was in Miri, quite good. More ideas are most welcome :) -m-

• Xinta's Profile Photo

by Xinta Online Now Mar 6, 2004 at 6:43 AM

Hi, Looks like it that most have been mentioned, except for Santubong. If you're up to it, you can go trekking on Mount Santubong. Bako National Park is really a must, as you can see wild life, such as Macaque Monkeys and Wild Board or better known as Bearded Pig, roaming around the Park HQ. Here you can meet a lot of travellers... One thing I must warn you is that you better book early, if you're staying over nite during weekends. You need permit to go to Bako National Park, and you can get the permit and also book the room at Visitors Information Centre. If you want more infos, you can check out my Bako Page. Happy travelling! Xinta

by mansionion Online Now Mar 23, 2004 at 9:40 PM

Thanks for all the reply! Looking forward for my trip to KCH this weekend! -m-

by mansionion Online Now Mar 24, 2004 at 3:27 AM

Thanx! The the food & cyber cafe info definitely come in handy for me :) -m-

by mansionion Online Now Mar 31, 2004 at 6:37 AM

Hi again! Just back frm my trip to KCH + Bako and really had a great time there! Thanks for all the info & tips, really come in handy for me. Rgds -m-

RE: RE: Ideas for Kuching

by mansionion Online Now Aug 16, 2005 at 11:55 PM

Thx for the additional info lester3030, that would come in handy for my next trip to Kuching.

-m-

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines