Kuaotunu Travel Answers

change location
charrapa's Profile Photo

2 days on the Coromandel

by charrapa Online Now Nov 9, 2008 at 10:44 AM

I would like a tip on a good place to stay for 2 days, 12/25 & 12/26 2008, on the Coromandel peninsula. I was at Kuaotunu in December of 1985 and had lunch on the beach. I remember they were selling waterfront lots on the long sandy beach to the north for3,500 to4,500 NZ$ at the time. I want to hike around the area and am looking for a comfortable place anywhere around the noth end.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • ronlaughlin's Profile Photo

Re: 2 days on the Coromandel

by ronlaughlin Online Now Nov 25, 2008 at 6:48 PM

In the Coromandel I recommend the Hahei area.....see below!

thecoromandel.com/mercurybay...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Kakapo2's Profile Photo

Re: 2 days on the Coromandel

by Kakapo2 Online Now Nov 30, 2008 at 12:50 PM

Next to Kuaotunu you will find now find an in-place named Matarangi Beach which is the Coromandel's fastest growing development. And properties cost about a hundred times more than in 1985 - without house;-)

I am a fan of Tairua and always drive up to the very north. But as you want to stay at the north end, what about Cooks Beach? They have simple accommodation, and it is rather quiet and laid back. Accommodation here:

placestostay.co.nz/Cooks_Bea...

There is a boat service to Whitianga where you would find some restaurants.

In the north of the western side you would find Coromandel Town, with restaurants, shops and many options for activities, and further north - somehow at the start of the end of the world - Colville.

The choice is big. You just have to know how lonesome or lively your stay should be.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines