Kuala Lumpur Travel Answers

change location
sreekol's Profile Photo

Cheerapunji - Wettest Place on Earth

by sreekol Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 10:50 PM

I am a Malaysian passport holder and would like to visit Cheerapunji in Meghalaya, north east India. I read that a police permit is required & need to be submitted months in advance. Can someone please advice me if the requirement has been wavered since, & how does one enter the state. Can I fly in from New Delhi ? Thank you.

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • lynnehamman's Profile Photo

by lynnehamman Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 11:18 PM

sreekol wrote:
    I am a Malaysian passport holder and would like to visit Cheerapunji in Meghalaya, north east India. I read that a police permit is required & need to be submitted months in advance. Can someone please advice me if the requirement has been wavered since, & how does one enter the state. Can I fly in from New Delhi ? Thank you.

That is a dream of mine too!  Have you read the book 'Chasing the Monsoon' by Alexander Frater?  Brilliant.

Anyway.........

I suggest that you send message to our VT member Anil- he will be able to help you with his excellent knowledge of the area.

Here is his VT profile page:

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • anilpradhanshillong's Profile Photo

Re: Cheerapunji - Wettest Place on Earth

by anilpradhanshillong Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 11:20 PM

1. You can get your police permit by registering yourself with the FRRO (Foreigners' Registration Regional Officer), that is the Superintendent of Police, East Khasi Hills district, Shillong, Meghalaya, India. It is not a big problem and does not take even a day for the formalities to be completed.

2. From New Delhi, take a direct flight to Guwahati Airport. From the Airport, Shillong is 3.5 hours away, tucked into the mountains but on a plateau. From Shillong, Sohra (Cherrapunjee) is 1.15 mins away.

3. You may like to check out my Shillong page. I'm from there!!

4. Thank you, lynne!

1 member found this helpful

by anilpradhanshillong Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 5:21 AM

Spoke to Mr. M. Kharkrang, MPS, Superintendent of Police, East Khasi Hills district. Reconfirmed that neither Inner Line Permit (ILP) nor Restricted Area Permit (RAP) is required to visit Meghalaya state. Once you arrive in Shillong, a few minutes at the FRRO office on a working day (Mon-Fri; 10.00 am to 4.30 pm) to report your arrival, would suffice.
    If you need any help, please message me.

1 member found this helpful

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo

by lynnehamman Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 5:32 AM

anilpradhanshillong wrote:
    Spoke to Mr. M. Kharkrang, MPS, Superintendent of Police, East Khasi Hills district. Reconfirmed that neither Inner Line Permit (ILP) nor Restricted Area Permit (RAP) is required to visit Meghalaya state. Once you arrive in Shillong, a few minutes at the FRRO office on a working day (Mon-Fri; 10.00 am to 4.30 pm) to report your arrival, would suffice. If you need any help, please message me.

Welcome Anil.......by the way I have JUST downloaded my recent Delhi photos.............am sending them to u by email xx

by anilpradhanshillong Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 7:13 AM

Thank You, lynne!
    Eagerly awaited :-)

• Re: Cheerapunji - Wettest Place on Earth

by jpromotes Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 12:47 AM

The government of India has decided to allow foreign tourists to visit Shillong, Barapani, Cherrapunji, Mawsynram, Jakern, Ranikor, Thadlaskein, Nartiang, Tura and Siju. Individual tourist is not permitted and a stay of 10 days is allowed. Permits are issued at all FRROs, Indian Missions abroad, Ministry of Home Affairs and by the Home Commissioner of Meghalaya.

by anilpradhanshillong Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 1:00 AM

@jpromotes=All the places you mention are in Meghalaya. No permits are required by foreigners to travel to Meghalaya. Only the local FRRO is to be informed.

Your comment, "Individual tourist is not permitted and a stay of 10 days is allowed. Permits are issued at all FRROs, Indian Missions abroad, Ministry of Home Affairs and by the Home Commissioner of Meghalaya", is NOT CORRECT. Please refrain from posting information about Meghalaya which is not correct.

I am from Shillong, Meghalaya and have dealt with such cases. Still, I took the trouble to ring up the local Police chief early this morning and got the official position.

• by jpromotes Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 1:18 AM

i got those info from the the site

indtravel.com/misce/restrict...

under Meghalaya this was stated

• sreekol's Profile Photo

by sreekol Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 8:22 AM

Thank you very much Mr Anil Pradhan, for making those crucial formal enquiries and confirming latest information and updates. I really appreciate your help. Also, Thanks to Ms Lynne for connecting me to Mr Anil. Hopefully plans to visit Meghalaya will materialize very soon.

by anilpradhanshillong Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Hi! Sreekol!,
    When are you planning to visit Cherrapunjee? After May 15, the monsoons set in. Let me know of your dates.
    Best Wishes!

• sreekol's Profile Photo

by sreekol Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Hello Mr Anil Pradhan,
    Thank you for your very useful info, will keep you posted of my travel plans.
    Kind regards.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Kuala Lumpur