Kuala Lumpur Travel Answers

change location

HOW TO BOOK FOR SOLE TRAVELLER TO MALAYSIA

by breamdreamer Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 3:12 AM

I live in Perth, Western Australia and going to Malaysia in April. I have been searching the websites of Malaysia Tour Packages. There are heaps but no one is prepared to assist a single traveller. All bookings are for min of 2 persons and some are 4 or more and you are responsible for organising your own group.

Does anyone know of any travel agent over in Malaysia that takes bookings for one traveller. I mean I am prepared to pay extra but not full payment of 2 people. I have email to the tour providers but no one seems keen.

Any suggestions guys? Otherwise I will have to book from Perth ... which means, triple the cost ....

I feel discriminated again ... sole traveller

Ta, Carol

Quote & Answer
14 Answers
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

Re: HOW TO BOOK FOR SOLE TRAVELLER TO MALAYSIA

by davidjo Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 3:19 AM

Carol, it is not necessary to book a tour in Malaysia as there is a good bus and train transportation system and on the whole it is a safe country to visit. Spend 3 days in KL visiting Chinatown, Petronas Towers, Batu Caves.(all easy to get to using public transport) Perhaps make your way to Penang or Melaka on the west coast. Visit Taman Negara Park in the central area, then go to the east coast where you can enjoy some beautiful beaches or stay on an island.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • SubrahmanyamK's Profile Photo

by SubrahmanyamK Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 3:41 AM

Time is a point. You can travel in buses/trains to see places. you can engage a taxi to see places of interest in KL . you can visit islands too. places of interest can be found from member's pages.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• limkahwan's Profile Photo

by limkahwan Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 4:01 AM

Hi Carol, When you say Malaysia Tour Packages does it mean whole of Malaysia? If you are talking about whole of Malaysia then it is very difficult to book one. I believed you will have certain places that you are interested, right. It will be much easier to help you if you signal out the places of your interest and duration needed.

• Re: HOW TO BOOK FOR SOLE TRAVELLER TO MALAYSIA

by breamdreamer Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 4:18 AM

Thanks guys. I am am taking the train from KL to Taiping then few days later to Butterworth and then over to Penang. Taking day tours in Penang no probs there easy. But keen to book tour packages in Kuala Terranganu meaning hotel n tourist attractions eg turtles. Island hopping, fishing, squiding etc and thats where I am stuck as I need to get my own number or pointless going. All these need numbers. Also keen to visit Pahang, Kuantan, Taman Negara Park, but not keen on anything in KL as seen it all as a little kid. I realise in KL city its easy to book day tours etc but other capital cities, not so?

I was born in Malaysia but brought up in Oz, keen to explore where I originate from ...

Ta for ya help guys. Any other comments and suggestions welcome! B-)

• davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 4:32 AM

Rantau Abang used to be the place to see turtles laying their eggs, i believe that June is a good time to visit if you are still allowed to wander up and down the beach during the egg-laying season. Cherating on the East Coast is worth a visit too.I found KT not too interesting but the towns/villages of Merang and Marang were interesting.

• taurean_traveller's Profile Photo

by taurean_traveller Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 4:55 AM

I think booking on the internet for tours is similar to package holidays,they like to make money from 2 people.
    When I was in Malaysia and Indonesia I had no trouble at all by going into a local travel agents and bookng a tour for one.
    In fact one of the agents arrange transport for me to catch up on a tour which had already left!!!
    So as the guys previously have said,going solo does not have to be a problem.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

by Mikebb Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 6:32 AM

Carol, I suggest whilst in KL you use public transport to visit the city, use skytrain in particular, we stayed at the Melia Hotel 15 months ago, 3 minutes walk to skytrain.

As for moving around the country I recommend you hire a car for a week or longer, they drive on the same side of road as we do in Australia. We hired car several years ago, even drove in KL which I do not recommend but drove to many places - Melaka, Cameron Highlands, then to Penang and places in between , then back to KL to the airport. Easy and very good freeways.

Take day trips /tours to Melaka and other places.

• sdq's Profile Photo

by sdq Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 12:48 PM

It's very simple just go to any city and roam around it is very easy in Malaysia.

by paroovijay Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Where all you want to move in Malaysia.

You can view hotels in www.agoda.com & book & move by bus to places you want to visit,, even if you want to visit islands on the East coast

by palaknaga Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Hold on to your horses... there may be someone who can help but again, no promises. I'll get back to you the next couple of days.

• sreekol's Profile Photo

by sreekol Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Hi Carol,
    Looking at all recommendations given so far, you will have an idea of where to go & how, I may be able to help you book for Taman Negara, Island visit in Terengganu/Kelantan, etc. I am based in KL, it's pretty easy & safe to get around on your own. I would recommend hotels in Chinatown, KL. They are quite clean, affordable and location is great. Regards.

by palaknaga Online Now Apr 18, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Sreekol, your answer is fine for a solo traveller. Advice here is to just stay in places that are not too shoddy, Chinatown is good but not the tiny lane that branch off the suburb at night. The same advice goes for any other place that you may visit in Malaysia. * There are cases of con artists from as far way as Nigeria, Iran and Columbia plying their illicit trade (drugs etc) and con-jobs in KL.

by paroovijay Online Now May 31, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Travelling in Malaysia one can book on net or at the ticket counters easily,, hotels you may book thru' agoda or booking sites,, quite easy

by ningaloo1 Online Now Apr 4, 2014 at 2:56 AM

Hi I am travelling in May 14. I am spending 5 days in kuala Lumpur alone prior to going to Borneo where I grew up for a holiday. I want to visit Malacca and do a few things in KL as a day trip...Sadly all the tours/day trips  Im looking at and after weeks of researching do not cater for solo travellers. In shock!. The price for solo is nearly triple. Would be interested to see what other  solo travellers have used or recommend. Thanks Penny Cairns Australia.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Kuala Lumpur