Kruger National Park

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Booking game drives at KNP camps

by MadhuMadhavan Online Now Apr 10, 2014 at 9:08 PM

Can game drives be booked at the time the accommodation is booked?
      If not, how do I ensure I don't miss out on the sunset and/or night drive on the day I arrive?

Also, how early can one check into the camps? 12 noon?

3 Answers Apr 11, 2014 at 10:12 AM
    • Vegetarian food

by MadhuMadhavan Online Now Apr 5, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Is good vegetarian food available at the Kruger National Park rest camps?

10 Answers Apr 9, 2014 at 5:57 AM
    • Letaba and Satara rest camps Kruger

by Kalpana123 Online Now Mar 7, 2014 at 7:08 AM

We are looking at staying 2 nights each at Letaba and Satara. Do you think its a good idea? We would be having our own car. Any help in planning our trip will be great as we are running out on available accommodations.

2 Answers Mar 7, 2014 at 8:54 AM
    • best season at Kruger National Park South Africa

by BunnyB Online Now Feb 18, 2014 at 2:49 AM

which is the best period/month to visit Kruger National Park South Africa for wildlife

3 Answers Feb 19, 2014 at 3:29 AM
    • just starting to plan our trip to kruger, thanks in advance for answering a zillion questions!

by kunmingirl Online Now Feb 15, 2014 at 11:58 AM

we just a few days ago realised we can visit kruger after our trip to namibia, but haven't a clue how to go about it! we will be coming during the first week of october from jo'burg in a rented car. so now the questions begin:
      do we need a 4X4?
      is it possible to stay in one camp the whole time (we'll have 4-5 nights) and drive around every day, or should we plan a progression from south to north?
      what camps do you recommend, and why? we will be looking at basic bungalows. will life be more peaceful in smaller camps, and if so, which are those?
      i'm wondering if the way to manage is to buy things for breakfast and lunch, and eat supper at a cafe at the camp. is this how things are done? is there any chance in the universe that we two vegetarians will find what to eat?
      and please tell me everything else that this newbie clearly needs to learn fast! i realise that we need to make up our minds and reserve accommodation soon or we'll be out of luck, so i need to push a rapid learning curve. i do realise that we can get maps and maybe a wildlife guide at the park itself, and that as well as self-drive we should take some guided trips and walks.
      thank you very much for your help, it's much appreciated.

4 Answers Apr 8, 2014 at 12:29 PM
    • driving to Kruger

by lucilleswim Online Now Jan 21, 2014 at 12:00 PM

is there a bus we can get from Johannesburg to Kruger National Park. I am afraid to drive

1 Answer Apr 8, 2014 at 12:16 PM
    • Cogee's Profile Photo

Gratitude/tipping

by Cogee Online Now Jan 19, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Me and a friend are going to South Africa for the first time in March and one of the mail hightlights vill be Kruger. We've booked a tour and I'm wondering about the unwritten rules of tipping. Is it expected of you tip the guide/at the lodge? If so how much?

3 Answers Feb 17, 2014 at 5:47 PM
    • easterntrekker's Profile Photo

Best time to visit

by easterntrekker Online Now Jan 7, 2014 at 1:11 PM

We are thinking about visiting next Sept but are wondering if it's too cold that time of year. also we plan to stop for a week in Cape Town first...

13 Answers Jan 9, 2014 at 2:54 AM
    • low sulphur diesel

by meddles Online Now Oct 29, 2013 at 4:44 AM

Do all service stations in the park sell low sulphur diesel
      Tx Mike

1 Answer Oct 29, 2013 at 6:47 AM
    • How much does the wild card save me in Kruger National Park

by jennydup Online Now Sep 3, 2013 at 3:55 AM

If two adults and one child spend two nights in Kruger national park, how much does the family all parks wild card save me?

3 Answers Feb 19, 2014 at 3:49 PM
    • Infants in Kruger

by Minkic Online Now Aug 29, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Hi

We are planning to go to Kruger In September for 2 nights on a self drive basis staying at Skukuza & Orpen Gate Camps. We have a 1 year old. Is the Park Infant friendly? Are there any guided tours for hire where in they allow Infants? Please suggest.

5 Answers Feb 19, 2014 at 3:49 PM
    • Campsite availability Aug 2013

by AKGoose Online Now Jul 15, 2013 at 6:55 AM

A few mates and I were keen to visit Kruger over the long weekend 8-11th August 2013. We were planning on camping, bringing our own tents. The website says everything is fully booked. Is this really case? Thanks.

3 Answers Feb 19, 2014 at 3:49 PM
    • ParkerM's Profile Photo

Weather over Christmas

by ParkerM Online Now Jun 25, 2013 at 1:01 PM

We are planning a trip to kruger from the US with family of 5 (23,21 and 17 year old boys) any suggestions and will the weather be too rainy?

10 Answers Jul 11, 2013 at 9:15 AM
    • Camps

by bonesp Online Now May 30, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Which 2 camps should I choose as we plan on 4 nights in Kruger?

10 Answers Jun 7, 2013 at 12:26 AM
    • best route 5 days

by monicadt Online Now Apr 14, 2013 at 11:16 AM

what is the best route to see Kruger in 5-7 days ?

6 Answers Apr 23, 2013 at 7:58 AM
    • vpas's Profile Photo

Wild card for park entry

by vpas Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Could someone clarify details of wild card entry into the park? We are a family of 4, husband, wife and two boys aged 18 and 15 years. I read that the family card would be applicable for a couple and 5 kids below 18. One of our boys is 18, so how can we apply? Which is the most economical card that would be suitable for us? We are Indian Nationals and plan to visit Kruger national park. We do not have plans of visiting any other major sanctuary or park, but may if we find something along the way. Do you think it makes sense to buy a wild card for entry?Thank you for your time,

6 Answers Feb 23, 2013 at 7:13 AM
    • How long in the Kruger area?

by TimRobinson Online Now Nov 21, 2012 at 4:55 AM

Hi again
      yet more questions. The idea is to start our 4-week (August) SA adventure in the Kruger area, probably staying in Hazyview, but how long do we need? there seem to be an awful lot of places to visit in the region. Can we do several in a day or to really enjoy them should we just do one place as a day trip (Sabie Sand Reserve, Pilgrim's rest, Graskop, God's Wondow, The Falls route, Bourke's Luck, Blyde River Canyon, Sudwala and Eco caves)?
      How many dasy should we reckon on visiting Kruger Park?
      Should we opt for a guided day tour (someone recomended doing a guided night tour as it's something special)?
      Is it worth paying the extra money to stay in the park for a few nights?
      I have found vastly different prices for self catering accomodation (mainly through safari now) ranging from R350 to over R1,000 which means maybe we could afford a few nights in the park?

A major thankyou to all those who take the time to answer all our questions!!!
      Thanks again
      Tim

6 Answers Jan 15, 2013 at 12:42 AM
    • ruffled's Profile Photo

Questions questions questions!

by ruffled Online Now Oct 11, 2012 at 7:45 PM

I have been reading up on Kruger, and have become more confused with all the choices!
      We are planning to travel in late January or early February. Seeing as we won't be driving, it looks like our best bet would be to book through a tour company in J'berg?

These are my questions:
      Tour companies:
      1) are there other ways of doing the park than with a tour company?
      2) does anyone have recommendations for a good one to use?
      3) can we be booked into any of the types of accommodation on the park using the tour company?
      4) are they costly?

Accommodation
      1) I am rather confused about what the different accommodation styles offer. Are the camps essentially self-catered?
      2) I keep reading that first timers should stay at the private reserves for a better experience. are the costs significantly different?
      3) is it a little late to be trying to book accommodation now?

Where to go
      1) I am thinking of staying for about 3-4 days, which areas should I focus on?
      2) How many areas can I reasonably expect to cover?

I know I have thrown up lots of questions here. I have tonnes more! Any assistance with any of them would be greatly helpful and appreciated! :)

11 Answers Oct 18, 2012 at 3:43 AM
    • Should we go to Kruger in January?

by Ed626 Online Now Sep 28, 2012 at 5:30 AM

Hi,

My wife and I are planning our trip to South Africa for this Dec 25 through January 17. Possibly flying into Cape town and out of Johanesburg.

We are seriously debating whether it is worth visiting Kruger National Park January 10 through 15th or so. Specifically, we've been told by a travel agent we won't see much wildlife that time of year due to the rainy season, so it is not worth going to Kruger.

Has anyone been to Kruger in January? And did you see any wildlife? To be clear, even if we saw just a few of the big animals over the 3 to 5 day visit to Kruger it would be worthwhile for me. If it is highly unlikely to see any of the big game in January then we'll probably skip it.

Any advice from firsthand experience would be appreciated.

Thanks,
      Ed

10 Answers Oct 3, 2012 at 10:38 PM
    • Camping in the Park

by laingtania Online Now Sep 22, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Hi, we are planning a trip to the Kruger in 2013 in August/September (about 3 weeks). We are 4 people with 2 cars and 2 tents. We heard that the monkeys are ripping tents apart to get to food. We normally keep all food in closed containers in our cars, but are afraid that the monkeys will try to get in our tents even if there is no food.
      We are thinking to go to Lower Sabie, Satara, Letaba and Pretoriuskop but will only make reservations in October. We would like to know if these camps are plagued by monkeys and if we need to avoid these camps? Or if it is not so bad and that we do not need to worry? We heard that Pretoriuskop and Berg & Dal is some of the camps that have a serious monkey problem.
      I could really use some advice.

3 Answers Sep 23, 2012 at 9:16 AM
    • Weather and Suitable Clothing.

by JBH1 Online Now Sep 10, 2012 at 5:47 PM

We're going to KRUGER and staying at Hippo Hollow Country Estate in one weeks time in Mid September. Can you tell me what the weather is likely to be then?
      Most important is does anyone know what clothing to wear on safari there? Also in the evenings there? We're going on a 4 x 4 vehicle full day's game drive with experienced game rangers and on another day would like to go up in a hot air balloon over Sabie River Valley. I've spoken to the travel company 3 times about the above questions to no avail. All I got back was it will be 30C? and don't wear bright colours? We don't want to take too much as coming from UK and spending 3 days and nights in this area and then travelling on to SWAZILAND, JOHANNESBURG, then down to WESTERN and EASTERN CAPE. We finish in CAPE TOWN, but have to fly in and out of Johburg.

6 Answers Sep 21, 2012 at 4:37 AM
    • MadhavRekha's Profile Photo

Visiting Kruger National Park

by MadhavRekha Online Now Aug 12, 2012 at 11:13 PM

We have a week's reservation at Sanbonani resort in Hazyview. Will it be worthwhile to spend at least one night in a camp inside the Kruger Park? Or should we spend that money on a night safari, and come back to Hazyview?

We plan to self-drive inside the park, entering from Paul Kruger Gate, which is the closest to the resort. Which routes do you recommend we take, so as to have the best chances of seeing the Big 5?

7 Answers Aug 20, 2012 at 7:20 AM
    • Visiting Kruger in late November

by ushimaru Online Now May 14, 2012 at 8:38 PM

We are from Seattle, and have visited Africa six times. Last year, in September, we spent several days traveling through Kruger, and absolutely loved it. I was afraid it would be touristy, but we had great success in getting farther out on our own and had some amazing animal sightings. We go to Africa so often because we are both passionate about elephants, and we had some wonderful encounters.

Anyway, we are planning to go again at the end of November. We'll spend some time with friends in Cape Town, and then head off to Kruger. We don't really need specific advice about the camps, etc. but I'm wondering about what I hear of the weather. It was perfect for us in September. I've been hearing that would be there during the wet season, where the foliage will be lush and beautiful, but makes game sightings difficult. Does anyone have any advice about that?

2 Answers May 15, 2012 at 4:33 AM
    • cheddah's Profile Photo

Weather in May

by cheddah Online Now Apr 16, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Can anyone tell me what the weather is usually like in May. I travel light so I was only going to take one fleece jumper and a waterproof jacket. Should I take another fleece jacket for the nights too?

I'll be doing some camping. I have a 3 season sleeping bag and planned to sleep in tracksuit trousers and a long sleeved t-shirt. hould I bring a thermal vest too?

I feel the cold easily. I'm from the UK though so I am used to cold, cold weather.

4 Answers Apr 16, 2012 at 11:13 PM
    • Kruger with kids

by srmhk Online Now Apr 10, 2012 at 7:42 AM

Hi!!

We are a family of 4 travelling to Kruger in mid October, 2012 with 2 kids aged 8 & 5 years. I have a bunch of questions, if you could help me here please:

1. Is it true that kids under 6 years are not allowed in open vehicles? Does it mean that if we self drive, we have to keep windows rolled up at all times? How strict are the authorities on this rule?

2. If we self drive, is there an option of hiring a guide/ ranger who identifies the wildlife (this is our 1st safari)?

3. We are planning 3N/4day trip to Kruger, driving in from Joberg. We wish to cover the Panorama route, Kruger safaris(atleast 3 trips in), Moholoholo Rehab Centre and the Dinosaur Park and Caves at Sudwala. Is this doable in this timeframe, considering the kids' ages or too ambitious?

4. If we want to cover the itinerary above, where should I look for a hotel- in Hazyview or Sabi Sands?

Thanks a lot in advance!!

10 Answers Apr 15, 2012 at 9:15 AM
    • Kruger by myself no drive

by guillerminamc Online Now Jan 5, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Hi, I've been reading too much info and i got kind of lost.

Im planning on going to Kruger Park for 3 days in the middle of february.

I have no idea about safaris and I dont drive, so I thought about taking one of the 3 days packages, but somehow it doesnt seem right, looks very touristic and they are all the same.

How is the best way to do it? considering that Im going by myself, I dont drive and I dont want to spend lots of money.

Thanks

7 Answers Jan 14, 2012 at 6:01 PM
    • Tamboti camp- March safari?

by WolfandMike Online Now Jan 3, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Hello! I have been reading all these helpful responses to questions about staying in Kruger. My boyfriend and I are driving from Joburg to Kruger March 3 - 6. We arrive afternoon of March 3- staying first night in crododile and 2nd night at Lower Sabie. Very excited. For our third night I was considering Tombati for its rustic feel and safari tents- and because it is close to the Orpen gate. The next day we would like to set off early to Blydes River and Bourke's Potholes--and finish the day at Hops Hollow. The questions are:

1. Is Tombati a good spot to spend our third and last night?
      2. Can we get to the drive to Blyde's Canyon and the Potholes pretty easily from there?

Thank you!

Ashley

1 Answer Feb 19, 2014 at 3:46 PM
    • Private Game Reserves

by misstoscana21 Online Now Dec 23, 2011 at 7:01 PM

I'm looking to book a trip in 2012 and typically I'm a money conscious aware traveler, but also look for quality. I have been reading a lot about the private game reserves and am aware that these are really considered 5* establishments, but they seem to include everything, including pickup from the airport.

What are the best ones to stay in in Kruger?

If you don't recommend a private game reserve because of your experience elsewhere please tell me why and what I should consider. Thanks!

3 Answers Dec 24, 2011 at 4:33 AM
    • Best Camps to stay for Big Five Viewing

by imoto Online Now Nov 23, 2011 at 2:06 AM

Hello,

I am going to Kruger in the first week of January. It will be my first time to a game park. I am coming from Johannesburg (not sure if I'm going to drive or fly yet - cost dependent).
      I would like to stay in a san park camp ( http://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/) and then will probably just do the guided tours that are available with the camp we stay at.
      My question is: which camp is best to stay at to see the big five? would love to see zebra, giraffe and cheetah too!

Thanks for all the replies that have been made. You all saved me loads from almost going with the 3 day all inclusive packs.

Best,
      Emiko

20 Answers Jan 17, 2012 at 8:55 AM
    • Game Drive operators

by minnie77 Online Now Nov 2, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Hi, we are a family of 10 and are staying at the Sundown Lodge nearby the Kruger Park. Does anyone have any reviews on this place and can suggest a game drive operator who is reasonably prices. Many thanks

2 Answers Nov 2, 2011 at 10:51 PM