Kruger National Park Travel Answers

change location

Travelling with an infant

by kds30 Online Now Sep 15, 2003 at 12:33 PM

I will be travelling in December with a friend who has an infant, and we are interested in staying in Kruger for a week or so. Any ideas on cottages (so baby doesn't disturb other guests) that have meals taken care of (one less thing to think about during the trip). We will have a rental car (not 4x4) and would like to get the REAL Kruger experience. Any tips would be helpful! Thanks kds

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Re: Travelling with an infant

by dirk_human Online Now Dec 2, 2003 at 11:32 PM

Hi, this is a very dicey decision that you guys are making here. December is part of the hide tide for malaria in the Kruger Park. Infants are at great risk for contracting malaria and when contracted it is more than often deadly for the little ones. I myself have a little girl now 10 months old and we visited the Kruger at the end of May which is supposed to be low risk time for malaria. I am a regular visitor(once to twice a year) to the Kruger Park and, touch wood, have not been sick with malaria. However my wife got malaria during our May trip despite all our preventative measures. Sleeping under mozzie nets and burning repellent coils as well as wearing repellants are crucial. Also wear long leave shirts and long trousers at night and early morning. We were very lucky, our baby was very quiet. We camped in a tent. Cottage is a better option. She was still only drinking milk so we did not have to prepare food for here. A coleman frizerbox should work well to keep refrigerated stuff cold. The temp in December is someting phenomenal which could irratate the little one. Self help trips in the kruger is great if you know where to go and what to do. All visitor roads in Kruger is in good condition, all main roads are tarred in any case. 4x4 or combi is good for its high for viewing as the bush is very dense at this time of the year. Please email me for any other tips as there are to much to mention here. Regards Dirk Human

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Kruger National Park