Kruger National Park Travel Answers

change location
vpas's Profile Photo

Wild card for park entry

by vpas Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Could someone clarify details of wild card entry into the park? We are a family of 4, husband, wife and two boys aged 18 and 15 years. I read that the family card would be applicable for a couple and 5 kids below 18. One of our boys is 18, so how can we apply? Which is the most economical card that would be suitable for us? We are Indian Nationals and plan to visit Kruger national park. We do not have plans of visiting any other major sanctuary or park, but may if we find something along the way. Do you think it makes sense to buy a wild card for entry?Thank you for your time,

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • lynnehamman's Profile Photo

by lynnehamman Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Seetha it is not worth getting any type of card unless you visit the wildlife parks frequently. You are staying there anyway, so will find the actual ;'visits' (eg driving into the park) free

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • vpas's Profile Photo

Re: Wild card for park entry

by vpas Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 5:36 PM

I am told that I have to pay a daily conservation fee of 204 Rands per day per person and that works out to almost 2450 Rands for three days. I am also being told that there is an additional cost for game drives. I made a call since the website is not clear and my mails to them were not going through. They clearly stated that their guides will not accompany us in our vehicles and that we may opt for guided game drives. I was just wondering if the wild card would cover activities and if so it might be a cheaper option than to pay for conservation fee and then for the game drives and activities.

by lynnehamman Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Seetha I doubt if the Wild Card would save any money. I am not sure what they cost, but it would be a fair bit. If you have a car, there is no need to have a guide in the park. Buy a booklet at one of the kiosks in the park- they contain valuable helpful information on all the animals, and you will therefore save money by NOT getting a guide. Go VERY early in the morning (into the park ) and again at about 4.30pm. This is when the animals come out to drink at the waterholes.You will be amazed at how easy it is to spot many animals. The car doors have to remain shut, and no-one may obviously get out of the car. The only time that you WILL need a guide is if you do a Night Drive. I hope that this gets sorted out for you/

1 member found this helpful

• vpas's Profile Photo

by vpas Online Now Feb 23, 2013 at 2:40 AM

It is not at all easy to book directly at Kruger, but we have managed!! They do not have an email tbut only an online form which does not get delivered for some reason. So we called them several times after which we got through and they only do the booking of the accommodation. They sent us a no reply mail and told us to call if we have a doubt!!! How can they not have email!! Now we are trying to book a guided night drive. Kruger for sure is not a tourist friendly place at least with regard to booking, but we are so desperate to go there coz of the unique opportunities to sight wildlife. We decided against booking through Siyabona coz their cancellation terms were exorbitant with old people back home, we do not want to take chances!! It would be easier to book through Siyabona since they take of game drives and other activities as well. If any of you have tips on how to book for guided night game drives, please let me know. A huge thank you for all your help thus far, Seetha

by lynnehamman Online Now Feb 23, 2013 at 5:34 AM

Seetha there is no need to pre-book the night drive, You can easily do it once you arrive there.

• vpas's Profile Photo

by vpas Online Now Feb 23, 2013 at 7:13 AM

Oh that is good that we do not have to pre book night game drives. I was told in this forum that it has to be pre booked and hence was trying to do so. Yes, Gerald, I have been using that website for the bookings. Thank you nevertheless. We are booked into Berg en dal. Thank you all, you have all been a great help. Have a good Sunday ahead, Seetha

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines