Krakow Travel Answers

change location
lisa18752003's Profile Photo

oskar schindler

by lisa18752003 Online Now Mar 16, 2008 at 11:56 AM

hiya, does anyone know if the oskar schindler factory is open to the public yet? i went nov 06 and nov 07 and it was closed each time, but had a notice of refurbishment up, but when i went again it still wasnt open, also has anyone visited plaskow concentration camp, ive heard theres nothing left really to see, been to auschwitz and found it very interesting and would be interested in visiting another.any info would be much appreciated. thanks

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • adin's Profile Photo

Re: oskar schindler

by adin Online Now Mar 16, 2008 at 12:13 PM

As for end of February, still closed to visitors.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • alancollins's Profile Photo

by alancollins Online Now Mar 16, 2008 at 1:51 PM

Hi, I have visited the site of the Plaszow Concentration Camp. There are some monuments and the house used by Amon Goeth. Below is a link to a website that will give you more information about what is left.
    scrapbookpages.com/Poland/Pl...

• gmg61's Profile Photo

by gmg61 Online Now Mar 16, 2008 at 2:24 PM

I visited the Schindler's factory in april 2007 and it was open to the visitors.

As for Plaszow, the site was completely destroyed after the war; what you can still see is the commander's house (but you have to know which one is it, since it's not marked in any way), a couple of monuments (one to all the people who died there, one for the hungarian female jews who died there, one to the Jews who died there), some religious landmarks and what was probably the guardpost of the camp; what remains today is a vast concrete covered area flanked by some buildings half destroyed and in some way still inhabited by somebody. If you go in you can still see some pieces of the Nazi time, as well as part of the original fence and lamps.

If you're interested in this part of the history, I'd suggest you to visit also the area of the former ghetto, in Podgorze, on the bank of the river Vistula, directly across the traditional Jewish district of Kazimierz.
    In an area inhabited by approximately 3.000 people were forced to move and acco,odate, 12.000 Jews or more. From March 21st, 1941 the Jews were unable to leave the Ghetto precinct and Jews started to be deported to Plaszow, or Auschwitz or other camps.
    In the former ghetto area you can still see the old "Pharmacy Under The Eagle", that was the only pharmacy open in the ghetto; but the owner (Tadeusz Pankiewicz) provided illegally inhabitants with shelter, food and forged documents and saved many liveds. It's located in Plac Bohaterow Ghetta (once Plac Zgody), that was the only open space of the ghetto, and were the Nazis gathered thousands od people for selections and dispatch to the death camps.
    Fragments of the ghetto wall can also be seen, between 25 and 29 Lwowska Street and at 62 Limanowskiego Street, today a children playground behind a school.

• Re: oskar schindler

by DrexlUK Online Now Mar 17, 2008 at 11:03 AM

I visited Krakow in Nov'06 and Schindler's factory was accessable to visitors but you had to wait for the caretaker to open the door and let you in. There wasn't too much to see really as the site has been used by other businesses over the years. I visited again in Dec'07 and it was closed for refurbishment with no indication of timescale. Maybe contact the Krakow tourist info office to see if they can advise if it's reopened?

A couple of companies (names escape me, sorry) offer tours of 'Schindler's Krakow' for a reasonable fee. You can visit the places others have mentioned above - the ghetto area and wall remains, the Jewish Quarter, Plaszow, Emailia plus various locations used by Spielberg for his film.

• Re: oskar schindler

by DrexlUK Online Now Mar 17, 2008 at 11:06 AM

*edit

got my dates wrong. It was open in Nov05 and closed Dec06 when I visited.

• lisa18752003's Profile Photo

by lisa18752003 Online Now Mar 17, 2008 at 2:50 PM

hey guys thanks for all the replies, more info than id ever hoped for, will look in to a few things before i book up, thnks again xxx

• paulinuk2u's Profile Photo

by paulinuk2u Online Now Mar 25, 2008 at 4:06 PM

its being turned into an art gallery.i went years ago to see shindlers film being shown in the factory,a bit eerie,

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines