Krakow Travel Answers

change location
yvr's Profile Photo

Train Krakow to Prague

by yvr Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 8:30 AM

Need to purchase a train ticket Krakow to Prague. When I go to Polrail, I can purchase my ticket for mid April, however, it is not an e-ticket and regardless of how I want to pick up the ticket, I would pick it up in Krakow, there is a charge of around CAD$9.00 to do so. Is it really necessay to purchase in advance do the fares change as the departure date gets closer?

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • eMGeographer's Profile Photo

Re: Train Krakow to Prague

by eMGeographer Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 11:27 AM

It is hard to say, if you have to buy in advance. If the train is without seat reservation - you don't have to buy earlier. Here you can check if reservation is needed: rozklad-pkp.pl/bin/query.exe...? It is an official website of Polish rails.

For the trains with seat reservation I generaly don't buy tickets much earlier if it is not during holidays and if it is in a middle of a week. But if you have a firm schedule and don't want to risk maybe try this: http://intercity.pl/en/ It is also an official website of one of Polish rail companies.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • yvr's Profile Photo

by yvr Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Thanks for the info. The first train is 2nd class only and seat reservation is not needed, the next two trains do have seat reservations and when booked seats are assigned. Travel is mid April and mid week.

• eMGeographer's Profile Photo

Re: Train Krakow to Prague

by eMGeographer Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 2:43 PM

If your reservation still doesn't work try again less then a month before your travel.

• Re: Train Krakow to Prague

by nob-in Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 2:57 PM

If it is not high season, then it won't be a problem to purchase a ticket with reservation (either seat or bed). Reservation is necessary for all the direct trains from Poland to Prague (overnight from Krakow & Warsaw or daytime from Warsaw)
    But even if everything will be sold out, then you can always cross the border by other train (or even on foot) and take Czech train from Bohumin or Cesky Tesin to Prague (for trains in Czech Republic you don't need to worry about availability of reservations)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines