Krakow Travel Answers

change location
lisselleC's Profile Photo

Unsure about the best place to stay

by lisselleC Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Hi
I have been trying to find an apartment for 9 nights in Krakow end of July. I am getting confused about the best area to stay in. In my experience right in the centre can be a little noisy, areas around train stations can be generally dirty/sleazy. I have emailed the owner of this apartment but I am wondering whether it is a little bit too far out of the centre. We are two professional/mature adults who enjoy feeling safe and comfortable with an element of luxury when on holiday. We like to be centrally based but are not afraid to walk if the journey has something to offer.
krakowhomes.com/index.php/ap...
I am hoping someone can help me decide before all the best apartments are snapped up.
Lisselle

Quote & Answer
17 Answers
  • vpas's Profile Photo

Re: Unsure about the best place to stay

by vpas Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Please ask member Matts crazy.. He is a local member and organised the vt meet at Krakow, he may not have seen this post.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • lisselleC's Profile Photo

by lisselleC Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Hi, thank you for your response. I have searched for Matts crazy but cannot find the member,

• vpas's Profile Photo

by vpas Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 9:29 AM

sorry, it is Matcrazy1

1 member found this helpful

• eMGeographer's Profile Photo

by eMGeographer Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 9:29 AM

It is hard to say. Location of your apartment is about 15-20 min walking from the old town and market square, so not very far. But if you search for quiet area I'm not sure this is a place you dream about - it is next to a bus depot and big streets (it is hart to read from this map the exact location).

You can look here: noce.pl/SR/index2.php?lang=e...">noce.pl/SR/index2.php?lang=e...
    If you check the locations of the apartmets on a maps by clicking on a quarters, it is better if they are on a 'white' streets ('yellow' ones may have tramways). Personally I like Kazimierz Quarter.

2 members found this helpful

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 9:48 AM

I've been to Krakow twice and am about to make my third visit. I'd suggest Kazimierz as well...or the old town itself, within the Planty (the line of the original town walls, now gardens).

Imo, it won't be noisy if you find somewhere away from the main streets. There are certainly plenty of apartment options. I really wouldn't stay too far away from the historical centre: I can see no real benefit in doing so. As a solo traveller hotels are a cheaper option for my short visits, but I've not found my hotels in the historical centre to bnoisy. Much of the historical centre is pedestrianised.

Have a look at www.booking.com . It's a reliable site used by many VT-ers and, for Krakow, lists umpteen potential apartments. The reviews can only be posted by people who have booked through the site and completed their stay, so I have always found them to be reliable as well.

by lisselleC Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Thank you for your helpful answers. Can you expand on Kazimierz, i.e. which is the nicest part/streets please.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Kazimierz is just outside the historical centre, perhaps 25 minutes' walk from Rynek Glowny, the main square.

I don't think it's a matter of 'nicest' streets really. People visit Kazimierz more for its associations with the Jewish community which lived there until the Second World War. It's certainly a bit quieter than the town within the Planty (I don't mean traffic so much as general busy-ness), with far fewer restaurants, bars, shops etc. But although it is very pleasant...especially the old Jewish area...I'm not sure I'd want to base myself there. For me, it's a bit too far from the historical centre, railway station and so on...although there are trams, of course.

by lisselleC Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Based on your advise then I think we will try for an apartment within the Planty and visit Kazimierz.
    Thank you for your help, it is really appreciated.

by lisselleC Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Based on your advise then I think we will try for an apartment within the Planty and visit Kazimierz.
    Thank you for your help, it is really appreciated.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 11:44 AM

I'm sure you'll really like Krakow: it's a fascinating place with lots to see and explore. As well as trips to Auschwitz, the Wieliczka salt mines and possibly Zakopane, you might like to make an easy side-visit to Tyniec Abbey by bus. It's really very pleasant indeed...I shall be re-visiting on my next visit.

"Tyniec Abbey" - Krakow Off The Beaten Path Tip by leics

And I will definitely be visiting the Schindler Factory Museum in Podgorze. It wasn't open on my previous visits and it, like visiting the synagogues and streets of Jewish Kazimierz, I consider an absolute must for a Krakow visit:

mhk.pl/oddzialy/fabryka_schi...

Whether to visit Auschwitz, or not, I think must remain an entirely personal decision.

by lisselleC Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Thank you for your tips - we are planning on visiting Auschwitz and the salt mines. Zakopane looks a little bit too far away (2hrs by bus?). We are looking into the Schindler factory too.
    Thanks again.
    LisselleC

by lisselleC Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Thank you for all your help - booked and excited!!
    tripadvisor.co.uk/LocationPh...

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Brilliant! I know you'll really enjoy Krakow. It's a super place with loads of history, excellent places to eat and drink and loads to do/see. I'll be there again in just over a week! :-)

Agree about Zakopane...haven't yet made that longish trip and am unlikely to do so this time. The saltmines are fascinating: allow at least a longish half day to get there, wait for an English language tour group, descend a huge number of wooden steps (think it took us about 10 mins), walk the almost-2 miles of accessible tunnels and get back to Krakow again.

• Re: Unsure about the best place to stay

by AliciaV Online Now Jun 26, 2014 at 5:39 PM

can anyone tell me of a good hotel near transportation in krakow? or what area i should be staying in? i plan on taking a bus to Zakopane, train/bus (which is better?) to Auschwitz and the salt mines, and i want to be as close to the bus/train stations!

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jun 26, 2014 at 11:17 PM

I suggest you stay within the old town, at the end nearest the railway station (the north-eastern part). It's less than 10 minutes on foot to both train and bus stations from that part of Krakow and there are plenty of hotels. I've stayed twice at the Hotel Pollera and once at the Rezydent, though neither will necessarily suit you:

Krakow Hotel Tips by leics

Have a look at the reliable www.booking.com to see what hotels, apartments etc are available for your dates. It has extensive listings in Krakow, good mapping (so you'll see exactly where each accomm is located) and its reviews can only be written by people who have booked through the site and completed their stay.

There are some other hotels even nearer to the railway/bus station but personally I prefer to be in the old town, for its architecture and its convenience. If you stay to the south or west of the old town (that is, the area within the Planty, the encircling park which follows the line of the old town walls) you'll have a longer walk, but it won't b a trek...maybe 20 minutes or so. Kazimierz is further still, but Krakow does have an excellent system of trams and buses if you choose somewhere which is not within easy walking distance.

Zakopane is not a daytrip I've yet managed to make but from my own researches bus (2h 10m or so) is much faster than train (4+ hours). There are plenty of buses and minibuses to Auschwitz every day, and to the salt mines.

Info about getting to the salt mine in English on the official page here:

wieliczka-saltmine.com/visit...

and for Auschwitz on its official page:

en.auschwitz.org/z/index.php...

Click the map to enlarge. Remember to use Oświęcim when you are searching for info. Buses stop at the site, Oświęcim railway station is about 2km away.

You can find train times, details and fares here:

rozklad-pkp.pl/bin/query.exe...

and bus times and info here:

http://www.e-podroznik.pl/

Both have English versions.

There are also plenty of organised daytrips to Zakopane, Auschwitz and Wieliczka salt mines), should you wish. You'll see them advertised all over the place once you are in Krakow, and you can book many of them online in advance.

• Re: Unsure about the best place to stay

by AliciaV Online Now Jun 27, 2014 at 7:32 PM

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I was looking at the Aparthotel Station hotel because of its proximity to the bus/train station. Is this in a good area? I want transportation convenience since i only get to spend 2 days there but I also want to be somewhere safe.

Also, any suggestions on going from Krakow to Prague?

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jun 27, 2014 at 11:55 PM

Krakow is no more 'dangerous' than any other similarly-sized European settlement and considerably safer than many places elsewhere (I am a solo middle-aged female traveller). But you should remember that train and bus stations *everywhere* always attract 'interesting' characters.

I would prefer not to be based to the east of the train/bus stations, where the hotel you mention is sited. You'll have a longish walk (20 minutes, though a park..not recommended after dark...or under the station, ditto) to get to Rynek Glowny, the main square...and I assume you'll want to explore the old town? I'm not sure what choice you'll have for eating places, pubs etc nearby.

But with only 2 days you won't have time to see anything much of Krakow if you want to visit Zakopane (1 day) *and* Auschwitz & salt mines (another day). That would be a very great pity. Personally I would cut out Zakopane and spend your day exploring Krakow and Kazimierz. One day still won't be enough but (sorry) it seems daft to visit Krakow and not spend any time exploring the city itself: it's full of historical interest and a fascinating and buzzy place

Personally I'd always go for staying within the Planty walls. There is much less traffic, you are surrounded by historical interest and if you find somewhere in the area I suggested you'll be within 10 minutes' walk of both railway and bus stations.

As for Krakow >Prague you can go by train ...use

bahn.com/i/view/overseas/en/...

to find train times and details. Journey time is from just over 8 hours, with at least 2 changes.

There are some buses (not sure they run every day). Journey time is no shorter than train and 8+ hours on a bus is no fun. You can explore bus options (not in English) here:

transtempo.cz/cz/katovice-kr...

http://www.osnado.cz/pages/jizdni-rady

The best idea is to ask at Krakow bus station about bus options to Prague......or just go by train (which is what I would do).

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines