Koyasan Travel Answers

change location

Koyasan accommodations

by Japhappy Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Does anyone have suggestions for reserving a room in koyasan? I'm having a hard time finding hotels/ryokans with English websites. It appears like they only have ryokans, though I would prefer a western style hotel. I would like to be close to transit, because i will be travelling via train, as well as the major sights. Suggestions for a specific ryokan or hotel?

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • taigaa001's Profile Photo

Re: Koyasan accommodations

by taigaa001 Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 3:12 AM

Koyasan is a religious place. Visitors to the sacred Buddhist site often take a lodge at shukubo for pilgrims. If you expect something like hotel suite maybe Koyasan is not for you.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 6:28 AM

I would agree; we stayed at one of the temples there, just to get this experience and thoroughly enjoyed this. I don't remember seeing any western style hotels at all in town.

As for transportation by train, once you arrive at the KoyaSan train station, you have to take a funicular up the mountain. There was a bus stop at the top where you get off the funicular and it does a loop around town. No cars or taxis . We stayed at a temple that was at the first bus stop after the funicular station.

1 member found this helpful

• Re: Koyasan accommodations

by Japhappy Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like an inflexible tourist who doesn't want to participate in the local experiences. I do, however, I have hip problems that make sleeping on a tatami mat/futon almost impossible. I'll be in pain all night long. I think maybe a day trip out of Osaka might be the way to go, if I hope to see Koyasan. Thank you, GrumpyDiver and taigaa001, your answers have been very helpful!

Be the first to rate this answer!

• Rabbityama's Profile Photo

by Rabbityama Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 7:31 AM

Yes, if you have a hip problem, it is not a good idea to stay at the temples.

The good thing is that you can see everything easily as a daytrip from Osaka. Staying overnight is really just for that experience, not because you need two days to visit the sites.

2 members found this helpful

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines